The STEM thread

I was expecting the kinds of responses I got from JL and UT.

I didn't expect the kind of response that aloyoius provided, but I should have.

Technology doesn't exist in a vacuum - it is developed by humans and it affects humans. Not all effects are beneficial, and it's incumbent upon both technology developers and society at large to examine the potentials for both good and bad for any new technology.

FWIW, I think dancing robots is a good thing. :banana:

very cool, Tip.
your comments remind me of that Twilight Zone episode with the scientist who invents himself as a robot. he has good/not nefarious intentions in mind, but things don't go as planned. i'm a sucker for Twilight Zone.

I was expecting the kinds of responses I got from JL and UT.

I didn't expect the kind of response that aloyoius provided, but I should have.

Technology doesn't exist in a vacuum - it is developed by humans and it affects humans. Not all effects are beneficial, and it's incumbent upon both technology developers and society at large to examine the potentials for both good and bad for any new technology.

FWIW, I think dancing robots is a good thing. :banana:
I bet.

I love technology. All three of my kids are STEM college students (EE, ME, HuBio) and I could not be more pleased. My EE is a robotics nut. He wants to work on this stuff and does in flying technology at school.

I should explain my response.

"Stunning" is obvious.
"Scary" is because MIT sold this off to AsiaPac (Japan/S.Korea). We aren't winning this race and we need to.
"Creepy" is because when I watch them dance or run obstacle courses or do back flips I can't help but imagine how those abilities or others they don't show us might be used against humankind.

I don't trust we humans NOT to use this against humans.

Not all effects are beneficial, and it's incumbent upon both technology developers and society at large to examine the potentials for both good and bad for any new technology.

:banana:
And now more than ever.

Cheers

An interview from 2015 with Eric Lander.

I was on my high school's math team. Unlike Lander's team, we met after school, not before.

Beautiful and a much deserved gesture:
I didn't read the book, but I saw the movie Hidden Figures.

I do a little bit of orbital dynamics in my own work; I can't imagine trying to do those calculations by hand, with astronauts' lives dependent on having the results be correct.

People like Mary Jackson are the ones who should be getting Presidential Medal Of Freedom awards; not actors and athletes.

Here's an article about an advance in theoretical physics that may bring faster-than-light travel into the realm of the possible.

An interview from 2015 with Eric Lander.

I was on my high school's math team. Unlike Lander's team, we met after school, not before.

I sent this all three of our college kids. I sent it to each alone. :)

Thanks.

Jim

Here's an article about an advance in theoretical physics that may bring faster-than-light travel into the realm of the possible.

Holy shit!

Back