The STEM thread

absolutely stunned by these buildings lasting so long, and also the ingenuity and precision of the aqueducts, bath houses etc. saw a special one time on the history channel i believe. i'm one of those geeks who would love a themed tour of these in Italy, based on how they were engineered.
the talent and skill involved are amazing. kind of like accurate crimesolving before fingerprints, cell phones, computers, and dna

The Roman aqueduct in Segovia, Spain is a site to behold.

I was in the Air Force for almost 4 years in Spain, we often went through Segovia on our trips into the mountains to ski:

aqueduct-segovia-one-best-preserved-roman-aqueducts-spain-184981515.jpeg

Been to a good number of places in europe and the far east and eastern australia (NSW & Brisbane). Best (JMO) Italy then Ireland. Wandered in Italy looking for bad wine and bad food. No luck. And Ireland to me is poetry and beauty.

Cheers

Speaking of Ireland 🇮🇪 James Joyce passed away on this day in 1941.

"Art is the human disposition of sensible or intelligible matter for an aesthetic end." - James Joyce

There's just a mega ton of stuff we don't know about the universe:

I've read of quite a few unexpected discoveries since, in particular, the Webb came on line and that made me wonder
how the top astrophysics people decide what they are going to look at with the better scope. The magnetar is going
to be observed by the Hubble, so I guess that, even thought it sounds pretty important to me, that it didn't make the cut.

We're learning every day that we don't really know nearly as much as we thought we did a few years ago.

Now here's some futuristic technology - bombarding element 115 with protons etc will yield element 116 - and poof - anti matter propulsion:

Algebra reinvented?

“He created literally thousands of pages of this foundational machinery that we’re all now using,” said Charles Rezk, a mathematician at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, who did important early work on infinity categories. “I could not imagine producing Higher Topos Theory, which he produced in two or three years, in a lifetime.”

Then in 2011, Lurie followed it up with an even longer work. In it, he reinvented algebra.

whoa

sounds like a game changer

and will probably accelerate what people learn about quantum physics as well
I sampled a few pages of Higher Algebra. I recognized some concepts because I took a course in abstract algebra (almost 50 years ago, now).

However, I immediately found out I was out of my depth. And by immediately, I mean first page, first statement.

I sampled a few pages of Higher Algebra. I recognized some concepts because I took a course in abstract algebra (almost 50 years ago, now).

However, I immediately found out I was out of my depth. And by immediately, I mean first page, first statement.

yes the pull through needed to fully make this math accessible and mainstream is astounding. probably a lifetime for society to adjust.

2+2=4 is too simplistic if the way to get to 2 is a bunch of options.
sounds like exactly the type of math to understand and unlock the weirdness of quantum physics and all the tiny particles we don’t understand

It will almost certainly transform predictive disciplines in ways that are nearly incomprehensible at this point.

It will almost certainly transform predictive disciplines in ways that are nearly incomprehensible at this point.
Indeed. It seems Jacob Lurie's contributions are already at the level of Galois and Abel, and he may surpass those two geniuses.

Some gluons anybody?

Mmmmm, quark soup.

3825492-screenshot2021-05-03at11.22.50am.png
quark_soup_cover1-1024x410.png

Another article about advances in the science and engineering of concrete.

Back