The Totalitarian New Frontier For America

johnlocke

Reaction score
Wolf is right — and if you prize liberty, you must defend it; begin with hearing her profound message. See also her work on the “10 Steps” which despots take to cow and crush a silent, servile citizenry. “Emergency powers” — the great pretext for power grabs by control freaks and power-lusters who repeatedly foment or fabricate crises to justify their reign. The servile believe the inhumane “crisis managers” are humanitarian life-savers.

ParanoidPatriot

Reaction score
When I was younger liberals were all for freedom of speech, association, and thought.
Today's progressives are for stifling freedom of speech, association, and thought.
Shut up and obey or we will label you, cancel you, and turn authority against you.
I don't know how older liberals can support this.

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
When I was younger liberals were all for freedom of speech, association, and thought.
Today's progressives are for stifling freedom of speech, association, and thought.
Shut up and obey or we will label you, cancel you, and turn authority against you.
I don't know how older liberals can support this.
Habits can be hard to break. The press and social media do the best they can to keep real liberals from understanding what they support when they vote for today's demokkkrats.

OP
johnlocke

johnlocke

Reaction score
Ayn Rand made a point of how we couldn’t conceive of how pre-WW1 sense of life was: it was joyful and optimistic and happy in a way that is completely foreign to modern people.

Now I feel that way about life 20 years ago.

OP
johnlocke

johnlocke

Reaction score
When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - When you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - When you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you - When you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - You may know that your society is doomed.

Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

OP
johnlocke

johnlocke

Reaction score
I'm an optimist we will see the collapse of the Left as we know it but not sure we will recover, they possess three glaring, unavoidable vulnerabilities:

(1) Their precious Narrative about the world clashes with the facts of reality in all essential aspects;

(2) their arrogant hubris is an essential element of their identities -- of how they see themselves in relation to the "ordinary" people they love to demean; so, as a result, they always over-reach in designing and imposing their agendas on the world. Since their agendas are NEVER about actually solving problems, but ALL about demonstrating their moral and intellectual superiority, their motives are fundamentally comparative in nature: They need to identify and dominate inferiors in order to confirm their superiority. But that leads to:

(3) they are trapped in a competitive "purity spiral": a vicious, intramural rivalry with each other to demonstrate that they are holier than thou, smarter than other leftists, more consistent, more ambitious, more daring, etc. That competition means they will ALWAYS push things to ridiculous, hideous, appalling extremes -- which means they will inevitably disillusion their followers.

OP
johnlocke

johnlocke

Reaction score
It is all chronicled and juxtaposed with the US in Leonard Peikoff's phenomenal book The Ominous Parallels.

OP
johnlocke

johnlocke

Reaction score
Oh, how right she was.

Ayn Rand - We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.