The Trial in the Case of George Floyd

king of kings

All Hail
Reaction score
There’s about 20 minutes of video before that that has not been publicized.
Do you believe the full video will show reasonable doubt. Why the officer left his knee on his neck for so long. The short video clearly shows him unconscious

Inspector_50

Reaction score
I think he is guilty of something for the knee to neck for minutes. That being said, I don't know what.Out of all the cops charged with crimes related to people they interacted with, this one is the one who I think should be guilty of something related to the incident. There was excessive actions taken but Floyd wasn't exactly helping his situation any the moment he resisted. Was that a reason to do what they did for as long as they did, no.
How did he resist exactly? I saw the entire video from the moment he took him from the car until he died. It was excessive and cost him his life, thats it. He deserves punishment for that. If I kneeled on a guys neck and he died, I would receive punishment for it, so would you. He is no different.

Providence Colt

Reaction score
Yeah, all they have is a video of the accused with his knee on a man's neck who is screaming he cannot breath until he dies. Not going to make that flimsy stuff stick.
Plenty of people out there that take the approach of “ahh black people are dying, I’m sure they did something!” Easy to envision at least one if not more on the jury, unfortunately.

OP
johnlocke

johnlocke

Reaction score

n Derek Chauvin Trial, Political Issues Take Center Stage in Jury Selection​

Lawyers probe for prospective jurors’ views on police funding, Black Lives Matter and Blue Lives Matter​

im-311451

A makeshift memorial for George Floyd in Minneapolis, where jury selection continues in the trial of former officer Derek Chauvin.​

PHOTO: CHANDAN KHANNA/AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE/GETTY IMAGES
By
Erin Ailworth
and
Joe Barrett
March 13, 2021 1:02 pm ET

MINNEAPOLIS—The Black Lives Matter movement and the debate it sparked over police practices and funding after the death of George Floyd has played a central role in selecting jurors for the first trial of a police officer charged with killing him.
During the first week of jury selection in the trial of Derek Chauvin—who can be seen in widely circulated video footage with his knee on Mr. Floyd’s neck—lawyers on both sides often focused their questioning on Black Lives Matter, Blue Lives Matter and how jurors answered a questionnaire item about “defunding the Minneapolis Police Department.”
Animating the line of questions: a desire to divine whether potential jurors can put aside their personal opinions while evaluating evidence presented in court—though lawyers haven’t always been swayed by such pledges.

What to Know About Derek Chauvin’s Trial, First Over Death of George Floyd

What to Know About Derek Chauvin’s Trial, First Over Death of George Floyd

Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin is being tried for second-degree murder and other charges over the death of George Floyd. WSJ’s Shelby Holliday highlights how prosecutors and the defense may present their case. Photo: Nicholas Pfosi/Reuters

On Thursday, Eric Nelson, Mr. Chauvin’s attorney, pressed one potential juror who said the viral video made him think of scenes from a war. He said he had a favorable view of Black Lives Matter, the movement that among other things aims to restrict police use of force and transfer police funding to other services. And he said he supports the idea of defunding police, saying he means that he thinks “police are asked to do too much, way too much, and other entities should take that burden off them.”

“Can you basically clear your brain of that, a clean slate, and start from the beginning, analyze this case only on the evidence presented in the case, essentially abandoning your opinion?” said Mr. Nelson. The man said he believed he could. Mr. Nelson struck him from the jury.

Defund the police became a loosely defined rallying cry in the wake of Mr. Floyd’s death. Some have interpreted it as dismantling police forces altogether, while others say it is more about rethinking law enforcement’s role in society. The juror questionnaire didn’t define what defunding the police means.
After Mr. Floyd’s death, the slogan Blue Lives Matter became more prevalent among people who support traditional law-enforcement methods and police officers’ role in public safety,

Mr. Chauvin is facing charges of second-degree murder—unintentional, while committing a felony—third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter. In the video footage, Mr. Floyd can be seen facedown on the ground and losing consciousness as Mr. Chauvin places a knee on his neck for around nine minutes, as three other officers assist him.

The county medical examiner ruled Mr. Floyd’s death a homicide and listed the cause as “cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual, restraint and neck compression.” The county autopsy indicated Mr. Floyd suffered from heart disease and had drugs in his system, which was complicated by officers holding him down.
The defense has argued that the drugs and heart disease caused Mr. Floyd’s death, noting the medical examiner found no evidence of injury to his neck and back.

Prosecutors say the medical examiner’s report supports the charges that the police officers contributed to Mr. Floyd’s death.
Mr. Floyd’s death sparked protests and violence around the country, and the Black Lives Matter movement propelled a national debate about whether police funding would be better used for social services and other purposes. Minneapolis faced days of protests and riots.

“There wasn’t a need for all the criminal activities that happened, all the burning and the looting,” a married man in his 20s said while being questioned by Mr. Nelson on Thursday. The man, identified as Hispanic, was chosen for the jury.

One prospective juror, a Black woman with two young children, said she “couldn’t unsee” the video from the case. In the questionnaire, she described Mr. Chauvin’s expression as hateful in the moments when he was seen kneeling on Mr. Floyd’s neck in the viral video. She was dismissed.

But other jurors held more nuanced views, some of whom were accepted on the jury.

Six of the seven jurors chosen to date indicated in jury questionnaires and follow-up questioning that they held at least a somewhat favorable view of the Black Lives Matter movement.

But most of the seated jurors who expressed that support said that it was more for the concept of Black Lives Matter and that they didn’t always like the group’s tactics or politics.

The first juror approved, a chemist who said he had not seen video of Mr. Floyd’s death, said he felt the BLM organization was sometimes too extreme. Another juror, a woman who said she has an uncle who is a police officer, said she felt that both Black Lives Matter and Blue Lives Matter had been co-opted by marketers.

“I like the idea of what they’re supposed to stand for, but I think that it’s been turned into a propaganda scheme by companies and stuff just to get you to buy their stuff,” she said of Black Lives Matter when questioned by Mr. Nelson, adding that she felt similarly about Blue Lives Matter.

Melissa Mordell Gomez, a jury consultant, said asking about Black Lives Matter and Blue Lives Matter gives lawyers a concrete way to frame conversations about otherwise uncomfortable topics. She noted that the Me Too movement—which shined a light on the pervasiveness of sexual misconduct, especially on the workplace—did the same thing in trials for Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby.

“It has a name, and it is something easier to talk about,” she said.
Trahern Crews, founder and chief organizer for Black Lives Matter Minnesota, said he was encouraged that some members of the jury had a positive view of the group. “People from Minnesota actually get to see us do the work. They know we’re not like spooky people or a threat to society,” he said.

Fred Bruno, an attorney for the Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association’s legal defense fund who is consulting on Mr. Chauvin’s case, said he liked jurors who agreed with the philosophies behind both the Black Lives Matter and Blue Lives Matter movements. The MPPOA is a statewide professional association and is paying for Mr. Chauvin’s defense.
“The ones I would avoid are the ones who strongly agree with BLM and who disagreed with Blue Lives Matter,” he said.
Mr. Crews says he sees problems with the composition of the jury so far because the only Black person seated is an immigrant who said he came to the U.S. more than a decade ago.

“I would like to see someone whose ancestors actually went through slavery, Jim Crow and the Civil Rights era, who understand the history of our relationship with the police,” he said.

Coltsfan2theend

Custom Titles, we don't need no custom titles
Reaction score
The doctor that tried to save George Floyd said this during the trial today.

During cross-examination by lead defense attorney Eric Nelson, Langenfeld acknowledged that a combination of fentanyl and methamphetamine could cause hypoxia. A toxicology screen of Floyd after his death found fentanyl and methamphetamine in his system.

Responding to a question from Nelson, Langenfeld testified that a "primary reason" fentanyl is so dangerous is that it depresses the respiratory system. Answering Nelson, Langenfeld agreed that a person could die from using fentanyl even if they had become accustomed to taking the drug.

There is the reasonable doubt on the most serious charge to me.

Is the ex cop guilty of something, absolutely but I wonder if they will get murder now. Manslaughter for sure I bet.

tehmackdaddy

post tenebras lux
Reaction score
I have seen the whole video and it did not help the police's case.
You don't believe that the full video, which shows Floyd stating he couldn't breathe before he was on the ground, doesn't help the police's case?

Then factor in Floyd had a lethal dose of fentanyl in his system.

You don't think those are relevant facts in this trial?

AkPatsFan

Reaction score

PatsFanLisa

No filter
Reaction score
Well, as a person who has sat in on too numerous to mention murder trials, the victim shaming here is blatantly putrid.

What's notable to me is that the defense has been allowed to bring up the victim's past history, or the prosecution to preempt whatever the defense was going to bring in after the judge denied the motion to exclude, while the judge has sustained the request to bring up Chauvin's past history, which has excessive force listed in several instances and for which he was reprimanded.

Coltsfan2theend

Custom Titles, we don't need no custom titles
Reaction score
The guy had Fentanyl and methamphetamine in his system, his drug use is certainly an issue here.
Yep, even a small amount of fentanyl can kill you. The prosecution wants to say the police are fully to blame but the er doctor yesterday put that to rest. Might have even put reasonable doubt in the whole case. If a juror is a real juror, they would only convict if beyond a reasonable doubt. I think it is fair to say that if you are trying to prove actions killed someone that if they did something that could’ve before hand, it is absolutely okay to bring it up. I can’t remember, didn’t he have covid before also? If so, who is to say that didn’t help.

I think the ex cop is guilty of something but murder, nope. Manslaughter probably.

Last edited:

tehmackdaddy

post tenebras lux
Reaction score
Drug use.
Past criminal activity, which is usually never allowed to be brought up.
This forum is not a court of law.

Pointing out he has a criminal record and that he had enough drugs in his system to kill a horse is not "shaming" him. It is relevant discussion.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
This forum is not a court of law.

Pointing out he has a criminal record and that he had enough drugs in his system to kill a horse is not "shaming" him. It is relevant discussion.
Don't forget he also had a knee on his neck while he was screaming he couldnt breathe too. You left that part out.