The World Cup Thread

Why the hell was there no defibrillator there??? Poor Grant and the poor other journalists in the press box who took turns pumping his chest.

%2Fmethode%2Fsundaytimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F8ec79060-7879-11ed-8f77-a37cd0bbbd4a.jpg

The Times of London has more.

Every once in a while, you hear the keen edge of panic in someone’s voice and know that death and his friends are nearby. Whatever mundanity you were enjoying at that moment is instantly forgotten. So it was during extra time of the Holland vs Argentina match, at Lusail Stadium in Doha on Friday night.It had been the game of the tournament, riveting, feisty, full of surprises and featuring a stunning Dutch comeback. But then a panicked voice rang out from the press box: we need a medic. We all turned around to see a man in terrifying distress just behind us, clearly suffering some form of attack or seizure. We bellowed for a medic.

The man in distress was Grant Wahl, probably the best known football writer in America. He was 48 and a much-loved fixture on the world soccer scene. The medics came quickly. I felt momentarily reassured. Perhaps it was a seizure. Maybe he needed an epipen. But they quickly started administering CPR and the entire press box was gripped with anxiety. CPR is a terrible sign. His heart must have stopped.

An even worse sign was that they kept going and going. A journalist with first aid training and two medics, taking turns to pump his chest. This went on for many minutes. In the background, the melodrama of the penalty shootout, the triumphant roars of the Argentina fans, became an irritating distraction. The contrast was bizarre.

The medics kept pumping. Wahl’s many friends gathered round from different parts of the press box. One of them, the football journalist Guillem Balague, sat down next to me. They were rooming together for the tournament. “This isn’t real,” he muttered to himself, lost in shock. Speechless, I just put a hand on his shoulder.

The diving in soccer has long been a plague, and me and so many other fans have called for a long time for instant red cards and lengthy bans and also, for refs to cut down on the abuse they received from players which can also be disgraceful. Players surrounding the refs and screaming in their faces. it would never be tolerated in any other sport. Coming from a rugby background, the diving and playacting and abuse to refs is abhorrent to us. We don't get it. US major sports are the same.

View: https://media.giphy.com/media/LHbkGj5Wajk0E/giphy.gif

Gotta throw the flag on that statement. Baseball managers get famous from chewing out the umps. Same with NFL and, especially, College football HCs try to intimidate to
get a future call " go their way".

One of the reasons I appreciate futbol is because the refs tolerate LESS shit than other sports from flashing the cards. If they keep them in their pockets and tolerate abuse
then they are partly to blame.

I get your point about rugby, though. Rugby players simply shrug and go about their business and seldom pitch a fit at the refs, although it does happen.

Last edited:

View: https://media.giphy.com/media/LHbkGj5Wajk0E/giphy.gif

Gotta throw the flag on that statement. Baseball managers get famous from chewing out the umps. Same with NFL and, especially, College football HCs try to intimidate to
get a future call " go their way".

One of the reasons I appreciate futbol is because the refs tolerate LESS shit than other sports from flashing the cards. If they keep them in their pockets and tolerate abuse
then they are partly to blame.

I get your point about rugby, though. Rugby players simply shrug and go about their business and seldom pitch a fit at the refs, although it does happen.

I think what's more fair about the US cases like in MLB where managers chew out umps is that it's one on one. it might be the manager/cpach or a player, and the Ump/ref shouts back, that's an argument really. In soccer, I've seen too many times where 5 or 6 players surrounding a ref spitting invective at him, calling him a c**t and everything under the sun. And for some reason, the ref takes it and won't issue cars etc!

I think what's more fair about the US cases like in MLB where managers chew out umps is that it's one on one. it might be the manager/cpach or a player, and the Ump/ref shouts back, that's an argument really. In soccer, I've seen too many times where 5 or 6 players surrounding a ref spitting invective at him, calling him a c**t and everything under the sun. And for some reason, the ref takes it and won't issue cars etc!
But if. STAR player gets into it with umppy look how fast
the manager gets there and inserts himself. :rofl:

And so we've reached the final! What an atmosphere, the Argentian fans have travelled en masse, there are 40,000 of them in Qatar and I am not sure any fans have to travel further.

France v Argentina, here we go!

Back