The World Cup Thread

The dude that saved the goal when the ball got behind the goalie near the end of the game won't have to buy drinks for the foreseeable future.

Absolutely

the Iranian would have maybe scored if he wasn’t so focused on flopping / falling

He did and he has a "pelvic contusion" which sounds sore to me. he was in the hospital last night so hopefully, he'll be OK for the Dutch,

Goddamn Dutch....

movie_review_389.jpg

First thing I thought of when I heard the news.

dutch.jpg

One thing I'll say about this Iranian team is that they didn't go full drama queen until, say, the last 15 minutes or so. By that I mean they
didn't dive, whine and beg much more than the average futbol team does before that.

The last time I saw the US vs. Iran they had a guy who was like a hockey goon and all he tried to do was kick our dudes in the face just as hard as he could whenever he
could find an excuse. I couldn't believe the refs didn't run him off because he had about 5 near misses. He wasn't even trying to look like he gave a shit about the match
and was on his own jihad out there.

This bunch was pretty civilized by comparison to those animals. They just didn't have the skill level of England or Wales or any of the other usual suspects. The competition is going to get really tough for us really soon, but I think our guys are at least competitive this time around and Pulisic can play anywhere for anybody. He's a poor man's Messi and has the
vision and playmaking ability that we've always needed. Too bad he wasn't bigger and stronger because he's a target every second he's on the pitch. The kid takes a major
beating in every game, although the knee to the balls was just bad luck, imo. Bruised sternum, my ass. He busted a huevo.

One thing I'll say about this Iranian team is that they didn't go full drama queen until, say, the last 15 minutes or so. By that I mean they
didn't dive, whine and beg much more than the average futbol team does before that.

The last time I saw the US vs. Iran they had a guy who was like a hockey goon and all he tried to do was kick our dudes in the face just as hard as he could whenever he
could find an excuse. I couldn't believe the refs didn't run him off because he had about 5 near misses. He wasn't even trying to look like he gave a shit about the match

This bunch was pretty civilized by comparison to those animals. They just didn't have the skill level of England or Wales or any of the other usual suspects. The competition is going to get really tough for us really soon, but I think our guys are at least competitive this time around and Pulisic can play anywhere for anybody. He's a poor man's Messi and has the
vision and playmaking ability that we've always needed. Too bad he wasn't bigger and stronger because he's a target every second he's on the pitch. The kid takes a major
beating in every game, although the knee to the balls was just bad luck, imo. Bruised sternum, my ass. He busted a huevo.

As a long-time soccer fan, I'm telling you that this US team is good. It's a young team, and the strategy is clearly to build for 4 years' time when the World Cup will be in the US along with Mexica and Canada.

So for them to get to the next round is huge, and they will give the Dutch a lot of issues as the Dutch aren't great at the moment. The US are full of running and seems to have great fitness.

Great to see the support the team is getting in the US and the enthusiasm from many fans. I'll be supporting the US against the Dutch as they're the underdog and it would be great for the tournament if they won!

BT2GarMIUAACs38.jpg

t77hfvfi8yfohodtlvkh.jpg

As a long-time soccer fan, I'm telling you that this US team is good. It's a young team, and the strategy is clearly to build for 4 years' time when the World Cup will be in the US along with Mexica and Canada.

So for them to get to the next round is huge, and they will give the Dutch a lot of issues as the Dutch aren't great at the moment. The US are full of running and seems to have great fitness.

Great to see the support the team is getting in the US and the enthusiasm from many fans. I'll be supporting the US against the Dutch as they're the underdog and it would be great for the tournament if they won!

Thanks for the kind words. It's been a tough go for a lot of us watching our guys miss World Cup or get killed by the better quality sides every four years while wondering if it would ever get better.

I think it's the fastest/most athletic US team I've seen and they probably have the best overall skill level. I think we are moving the ball around well and
have dominated the action more often than not. We're smarter and more prepared under Berhalter but I'm concerned about the D and our ability to simply put the biscuit in
the basket besides Pulisic. We need to develop a scorer who is strong enough to take the body up front, but we seem to have a lot of smallish players. Speed
is great, but I don't think we're physical enough.

I know a lot of people who just don't watch or care about futbol, which puzzles me. All I hear is there isn't enough scoring and way too much diving, but I follow the international
game more every year and love it. Those people you show above are really great even if limited in number. One of these days the game will finally crack on through and become huge in the US,
but I kind of like the way it is now with us playing the role of Underdog.

I will suggest that the people on top might not want to look back because something might be gaining on them.

It's hard for me to root for them prior to this year since they got as high as #9 when our women are bringing home 4 championships. US men soccer team, good luck. I will watch

It's hard for me to root for them prior to this year since they got as high as #9 when our women are bringing home 4 championships. US men soccer team, good luck. I will watch
There is a pretty big reason for that in the macro.

For the women, they are some of the best athletes we have to offer. For the men, they are usually our 5th and 6th-tier athletes, since so many of them have professional opportunities in other sports when growing up. The fact that US Soccer does this well on the world stage at all is impressive to me. These other countries have their best athletes playing soccer their whole lives. shrug

There is a pretty big reason for that in the macro.

For the women, they are some of the best athletes we have to offer. For the men, they are usually our 5th and 6th-tier athletes, since so many of them have professional opportunities in other sports when growing up. The fact that US Soccer does this well on the world stage at all is impressive to me. These other countries have their best athletes playing soccer their whole lives. shrug
I hear ya. So than why get paid what they get paid, the men or rather use to? Rhetorical, we know why.

Here we go folks! The USA v The Netherlands! Kick-off in just 10 mins!

Line-ups​

Netherlands​

Formation 3-4-1-2
  • 23 Noppert
  • 2 Timber
  • 4 van Dijk
  • 5 Aké
  • 22 Dumfries
  • 15 de Roon
  • 21 de Jong
  • 17 Blind
  • 14 Klaassen
  • 8 Gakpo
  • 10 Depay

Substitutes​

• 1 Pasveer
  • 3 de Ligt
  • 6 de Vrij
  • 7 Bergwijn
  • 9 de Jong
  • 11 Berghuis
  • 12 Lang
  • 13 Bijlow
  • 16 Malacia
  • 18 Janssen
  • 19 Weghorst
  • 20 Koopmeiners
  • 24 Taylor
  • 25 Simons
  • 26 Frimpong

USA​

Formation 4-3-3
  • 1 Turner
  • 2 Dest
  • 3 Zimmerman
  • 13 Ream
  • 5 Robinson
  • 6 Musah
  • 4 Adams
  • 8 McKennie
  • 21 Weah
  • 9 Ferreira
  • 10 Pulisic

Substitutes​

• 7 Reyna
  • 11 Aaronson
  • 12 Horvath
  • 14 de la Torre
  • 15 Long
  • 16 Morris
  • 17 Roldán
  • 18 Moore
  • 19 Wright
  • 20 Carter-Vickers
  • 22Y edlin
  • 23 Acosta
  • 25 Johnson
  • 26 Scally
Referee:Wilton Pereira Sampaio

Yawn…….

I fully understand what you mean. I mean I posted this in my thread the other day and I meant it.

FB_IMG_1669880604804.jpg

I played soccer for 8 years when I was a kid. All State goalie and all that.

I find soccer extremely boring to watch, much like golf, so I don't unless something significant is at hand.

There is something greatly significant here.

The World Cup, much like the Olympics is far bigger than just the sport. There are incredible principles at war in these things.

Remember the 1980 US Men's Hockey team that nobody gave a chance against the Russian bear and that they took it to em. My brother is a huge hockey fan and I don't find his passion for it. But the 1980 underdog victory spoke to the world as it stated once again don't ever underestimate us.

Patriots pulled this same thing off in 2001 in the shadow of 9/11 and it brought incredible joy and united many, even if it was just momentary.

Man gains incredible benefit from the sight something very human overcoming all odds and finding victory.

Maybe you haven't paid attention to what has been going in and surrounding these games, and that's fine. These games bigger than the sport as right now they are referendums on humanity.

Great stuff bro.

Last edited:
I hear ya. So than why get paid what they get paid, the men or rather use to? Rhetorical, we know why.

I don't find it rhetorical really. There's a good reason that I have a hard time tracing to sexism, which I think you're getting at, that some firmly believe it is.

The men's team gets paid more because they bring in more revenue currently.

The US Women's team has been tremendous, Hell, let me marry that crazy chick Hope Solo, kinda has my soul. 😂

It boils down, if there's any justice to audience interest and revenue generated.

Not entirely off topic but a number of the women on these teams are extremely vocal in a manner which rubs many people the wrong way, like militant, angry feminists.That tends to hurt the cause of building care and interest which is key to growing the audience and therefore revenue.

But what do I know? :)

Let's go guys.

y5aDv5G.jpg

Yeah, I know, right?

How did they get that Lyndon Beyers (LB) cat out of retirement and in shape to to play for them.

Or maybe it was Marty McSorely in disguise.

😂

Damn, 2-0 down. Could so easily have been 1-1. The US had plenty of chances in that 1st half.

Soccer has been in the US for 40 years. A huge number of kids play the game at the youth level. Then every HS has both a boy and girls soccer team. Every college, even those who don't have a football team, have a mens and women's soccer team.
You would think by now the US would have a top of the world soccer team every year. But we don't. Cities that have professional soccer teams and play in football stadiums can't fill 25% of the stadium.
Let the rest of the world think soccer is a big deal. In Ammerica football is king, from HS to the NFL. The major colleges have 100,000 people attend football games,.
And soccer is much more boring to watch on TV than golf.

I don't find it rhetorical really. There's a good reason that I have a hard time tracing to sexism, which I think you're getting at, that some firmly believe it is.

The US Women's team has been tremendous, Hell, let me marry that crazy chick Hope Solo, kinda has my soul. 😂

It boils down, if there's any justice to audience interest and revenue generated.

Not entirely off topic but a number of the women on these teams are extremely vocal in a manner which rubs many people the wrong way, like militant, angry feminists.That tends

Not entirely off topic but a number of the women on these teams are extremely vocal in a manner which rubs many people the wrong way, like militant, angry feminists.That tends to hurt the cause of building care and interest which is key to growing the audience and therefore revenue.

But what do I know? :)

Let's go guys.

View attachment 14159
I was expecting something from ya. We will just disagree on some areas of what you wrote. 🙂

Back