They Don't Call It SciFi For Nothing...

"Does everybody agree with that assertion or do you think I'm full of it" - He's full of it. The signal is not "bouncing" off the satellite, you don't need the satellite to be perfectly between you and the person you are communicating with across it. Rather, it's separate and simultaneous send and receive actions. You need to be able to reach the satellite, and the next communication point (whether another person with a sat phone, or an interlink to a different communication system, or whatever) need to be able to reach the satellite, but the "angle" between you doesn't matter at all, which is why you don't immediately lose signal upon moving.

As far as the Van Allen radiation belt... the guy is a total nutjob with a degree in pseudoscience. The reason the satellite is on the inner side of the Van Allen belts is because it's a) a lot easier to fix or replace that way, b) they're very thick, having a satellite say 640 miles up vs having it 3000 miles up means lower latency and better communication, and c) you don't want to hang out indefinitely IN the Van Allen belts. But they don't block communication to any meaningful degree. And about the idea that they're "thousands of degrees" - it's space, dude. The Van Allen belts are not a greater concern as far as heat transmission to the interior of a rocket or whatever than say the raw un-atmospherically filtered power of the sun, or the heat generated on reentry. They deal with heat all the time, the Van Allen belts are not a major concern.

And as far as how the signal "magically" gets there... it's the same "magic" that lets the sun's energy reach us millions of miles away, or the same "magic" that lets us see galaxies other than our own. Barring dispersion, signals travel indefinitely. The thickest part of the atmosphere is the biggest issue, you communicate first to a satellite, then from there it's transmitting out (yes, through the Van Allen belts, they're not some impenetrable shield), and as long as there's either straight point reception by the target, or something it can communicate with which has straight point communication, you're good. In the case of Perseverance, it communicates with Odyssey, which is in orbit around Mars and serves as effectively the "satellite" he's talking about.

I loathe that kind of person - he asks a bunch of rhetorical questions, that have answers. Ones which are readily available as well. But instead of learning or seeking how things are, the moment he encounters something outside the scope of his understanding, he goes to "nope, impossible - if I can't figure it out, no one can".

Edit: And as far as his "how would it be possible for it to survive reentry" bit, RCC (Reinforced Carbon Carbon) panels. That's why Colombia blew up, one of them failed, and indeed they're kinda important. But yeah, not an unsolvable problem, and again, readily available information for those who take the time to look into it.

Last edited:
Santa Claus, tooth fairy, easter bunny...they aren't real either. I hate to break the news...

"Does everybody agree with that assertion or do you think I'm full of it" - He's full of it. The signal is not "bouncing" off the satellite, you don't need the satellite to be perfectly between you and the person you are communicating with across it. Rather, it's separate and simultaneous send and receive actions. You need to be able to reach the satellite, and the next communication point (whether another person with a sat phone, or an interlink to a different communication system, or whatever) need to be able to reach the satellite, but the "angle" between you doesn't matter at all, which is why you don't immediately lose signal upon moving.

As far as the Van Allen radiation belt... the guy is a total nutjob with a degree in pseudoscience. The reason the satellite is on the inner side of the Van Allen belts is because it's a) a lot easier to fix or replace that way, b) they're very thick, having a satellite say 640 miles up vs having it 3000 miles up means lower latency and better communication, and c) you don't want to hang out indefinitely IN the Van Allen belts. But they don't block communication to any meaningful degree. And about the idea that they're "thousands of degrees" - it's space, dude. The Van Allen belts are not a greater concern as far as heat transmission to the interior of a rocket or whatever than say the raw un-atmospherically filtered power of the sun, or the heat generated on reentry. They deal with heat all the time, the Van Allen belts are not a major concern.

And as far as how the signal "magically" gets there... it's the same "magic" that lets the sun's energy reach us millions of miles away, or the same "magic" that lets us see galaxies other than our own. Barring dispersion, signals travel indefinitely. The thickest part of the atmosphere is the biggest issue, you communicate first to a satellite, then from there it's transmitting out (yes, through the Van Allen belts, they're not some impenetrable shield), and as long as there's either straight point reception by the target, or something it can communicate with which has straight point communication, you're good. In the case of Perseverance, it communicates with Odyssey, which is in orbit around Mars and serves as effectively the "satellite" he's talking about.

I loathe that kind of person - he asks a bunch of rhetorical questions, that have answers. Ones which are readily available as well. But instead of learning or seeking how things are, the moment he encounters something outside the scope of his understanding, he goes to "nope, impossible - if I can't figure it out, no one can".

Edit: And as far as his "how would it be possible for it to survive reentry" bit, RCC (Reinforced Carbon Carbon) panels. That's why Colombia blew up, one of them failed, and indeed they're kinda important. But yeah, not an unsolvable problem, and again, readily available information for those who take the time to look into it.
Go debate the guy, I want to hear this...seriously.

I realize the brainwashing from the media/education/corporations has been conditioning us for decades...but, "we" haven't ever went anywhere except for low orbit to put up camera's. I realize that this is hard for most people to accept, but, it's true.

Last edited:
This subject is one of the most polarizing...I'll be the first to admit this. Everyone should be able to believe whatever they want. I like to show the alternate POV's...

I realize the brainwashing from the media/education/corporations has been conditioning us for decades...but, "we" haven't ever went anywhere except for low orbit to put up camera's. I realize that this is hard for most people to accept, but, it's true.
I had a customer the other night who, off to the side told me she's worried about her husband. All he ever watches is one of the Cable News Channels and I realized, I used to be like that. When my kids moved in, they kind've broke the spell, if you will. Now I watch Buffalo Local news in the morning and that's all the news I watch anymore.

She said he never used to be that way, but now, it's always on.

I'm a tech for Dish Network and I see this often. I go to someone's house and one of the News Channels is on. Right now, while you're (Generalized) reading this, tens of millions of people in this country are glued to or have a cable news channel on, and for many, it's all they ever have on. I can name up to 10 of my friends who watch those channels beyond anything else. Ask yourself if you are the same way. It's like a massive, nationwide hypnosis.

And all of them, those channels, they're are guilty.

So... speaking of brainwashing and conditioning..... How much news do you (generalized) watch?

Last edited:
So the International Space Station is what, exactly?

Jesus, if a thread ever needed a facepalm, it’s this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The stork isn't real dew...but, I know why many have a faith/religion to this niche. They have sunk a lot of time and energy into this stuff.

Last edited:
I had a customer the other night who, off to the side told me she's worried about her husband. All he ever watches is one of the Cable News Channels and I realized, I used to be like that. When my kids moved in, they kind've broke the spell, if you will. Now I watch Buffalo Local news in the morning and that's all the news I watch anymore.

She said he never used to be that way, but now, it's always on.

I'm a tech for Dish Network and I see this often. I go to someone's house and one of the News Channels is on. Right now, while you're (Generalized) reading this, tens of millions of people in this country are glued to or have a cable news channel on, and for many, it's all they ever have on. I can name up to 10 of my friends who watch those channels beyond anything else. Ask yourself if you are the same way. It's like a massive, nationwide hypnosis.

And all of them, those channels, they're are guilty.

So... speaking of brainwashing and conditioning..... How much news do you (generalized) watch?
I don't watch TV...unless it's a hot rod show, NFL games, Simpsons/Rick&Morty, or some of those ID murder mystery killer shows. Most of my stuff is on the internet.

I get it if you disagree...you have the right to do it. But, if you TRULY have an open mind, you must consider every angle.

Back