This better not be a tease...

Flagg the Wanderer

Mourning Algernon
Reaction score
Some projects simply have to be passion projects. So when I see an interview with a writer/director that has taken on something you're passionate about, you look for something... anything...to tip you off that they actually care, and really get it. That they share your passion and not only won't screw it up, but may even increase your love of it.

So when I saw this quote: "if you know anything about me, you know it has been my Holy Grail of a project for most of my life" my eyebrows went up. Maybe, just maybe, we have someone who can take on The Dark Tower.

Mike Flanagan and Trevor Macy, who did Haunting of Hill House, Midnight Mass, Gerald's Game, and Dr Sleep, among others, got the rights and, after sending detailed notes and a pilot, and a long conversation, Steven King's Blessing.

It sounds like his vision is 5 seasons and 2 standalone features. He has the pilot written, season 1 mapped out in detail, and all seasons sketched. He just signed with Amazon, which took the first stab at this as the first project when the current head of their studios came on board, but passed because they didn't think they would get it right. Which has the money and organizational will to do it. Though Amazon doesn't have the rights,

Other quotes:
"I wrote a pilot, we view it as a as a series that’s going at least five seasons. And having lived with this project as long as I have, I have an enormous amount of it worked out in my brain."
"I’ll tell you, more than half of my life, I’ve closed my eyes and been able to watch a lot of this play out, I’ve dreamed about this. That first shot which comes right off at the first incredible sentence of the first book, The Gunslinger, I’ve had that image just rattling around in my head since I was an undergrad. It’s going to have to get out of there eventually, I really need to get it out of my head."

Q: "Are you a little bit daunted by the fact that The Dark Tower is considered one of the hardest pieces of literature to be adapted for screen?
A: Oh, of course, we are very aware of that....I feel like we’ve been gently preparing ourselves for this along the way, but yes, none of it is lost on me....If you don’t feel intimidated, you are not doing it right."

the-dark-tower.pngimages (1).jpegimages (2).jpegimages (3).jpeg

I never read that series.

I heard good things, but I don't know, it just didn't seem like Steve King to me. In my youth, I read all his stuff, Christine, Cujo, Four Seasons, It, a bunch of others. Just never Dark Tower.

I never read that series.

I heard good things, but I don't know, it just didn't seem like Steve King to me. In my youth, I read all his stuff, Christine, Cujo, Four Seasons, It, a bunch of others. Just never Dark Tower.

Same.

#Kings#1Fan
#HeLivesNotFar from where I grew up.
#ReadTheSeries

When he does the screenwriting, the movie is amazing. When he doesn't sometimes great sometimes not.
#StillExcited

It's approximately nothing like his other stuff, and a lot of folks don't get through the first book, which is slow and based more around unfocused imagery, glimpses of the larger world and legend, than a tight, concrete story.

It's what ties so much of Steven King's work together. It's his magnum opus. How do Insomnia, Salem's Lot, The Stand, Eyes of the Dragon, and many others tie together? Via the Dark Tower.

That said, I never really got that into his pure horror stuff. My favorites from him were things like The Long Walk, Rage, The Stand, The Body, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Misery, Delores Claiborne...where the fear was in the mind. He wrote abnormal psychology - especially abnormal adolescent psychology - as well as anyone I've ever read.

The Dark Tower is flawed - he rushed and didn't stick the landing in the last book or so - but the sheer scale of the attempt and the outstanding work in books 2-5 deserve a round of applause.

#Kings#1Fan
#HeLivesNotFar from where I grew up.
#ReadTheSeries

When he does the screenwriting, the movie is amazing. When he doesn't sometimes great sometimes not.
#StillExcited
Ferreal. Read it, or at least commit to getting through book 2. If you don't like it at that point go ahead and give yourself a pass on the remaining 2000+ pages. But you've gotta ask yourself, with so many ideas in his head, why did he commit so much time and passion to this? Why, when he almost died getting hit by that car, did he come back and crank out the rest of the series because he said it terrified him that he might leave it unfinished?

Ferreal. Read it, or at least commit to getting through book 2. If you don't like it at that point go ahead and give yourself a pass on the remaining 2000+ pages. But you've gotta ask yourself, with so many ideas in his head, why did he commit so much time and passion to this? Why, when he almost died getting hit by that car, did he come back and crank out the rest of the series because he said it terrified him that he might leave it unfinished?
Yes, for real and thinking of rereading it. Consider what time frame he wrote it and what was going on in the world and his life. When he was recovering in the hospital he got boat load of letters from fans asking if he was going to finish it to asking how it ends if he wasn't. I mean boat loads.

#HaveAbout95% of his works.

Some projects simply have to be passion projects. So when I see an interview with a writer/director that has taken on something you're passionate about, you look for something... anything...to tip you off that they actually care, and really get it. That they share your passion and not only won't screw it up, but may even increase your love of it.

So when I saw this quote: "if you know anything about me, you know it has been my Holy Grail of a project for most of my life" my eyebrows went up. Maybe, just maybe, we have someone who can take on The Dark Tower.

Mike Flanagan and Trevor Macy, who did Haunting of Hill House, Midnight Mass, Gerald's Game, and Dr Sleep, among others, got the rights and, after sending detailed notes and a pilot, and a long conversation, Steven King's Blessing.

It sounds like his vision is 5 seasons and 2 standalone features. He has the pilot written, season 1 mapped out in detail, and all seasons sketched. He just signed with Amazon, which took the first stab at this as the first project when the current head of their studios came on board, but passed because they didn't think they would get it right. Which has the money and organizational will to do it. Though Amazon doesn't have the rights,

Other quotes:
"I wrote a pilot, we view it as a as a series that’s going at least five seasons. And having lived with this project as long as I have, I have an enormous amount of it worked out in my brain."
"I’ll tell you, more than half of my life, I’ve closed my eyes and been able to watch a lot of this play out, I’ve dreamed about this. That first shot which comes right off at the first incredible sentence of the first book, The Gunslinger, I’ve had that image just rattling around in my head since I was an undergrad. It’s going to have to get out of there eventually, I really need to get it out of my head."

Q: "Are you a little bit daunted by the fact that The Dark Tower is considered one of the hardest pieces of literature to be adapted for screen?
A: Oh, of course, we are very aware of that....I feel like we’ve been gently preparing ourselves for this along the way, but yes, none of it is lost on me....If you don’t feel intimidated, you are not doing it right."

View attachment 14263View attachment 14264View attachment 14265View attachment 14266

This is my favorite of Kings work and you're right, he didn't stick the landing, still my favorite.

My mom bought The Gunslinger and brought it me when I was 17 in a NH youth detention center halfway house in Manchester, NH. My room was filled with classics, philosophy, psychology and even eastern books like the Tao of Pooh that I was devouring.

The second she left after a calzone dinner I forgot all the other books and opened to chapter 1.

What really drew me in was Roland sitting with the Man In Black as the Man talked about the world moving on, like a dying blade of grass.

Freaking brilliant.

Better not to be a tease? Well not if a "Happy Ending" is not in the cards but a great tease is pretty much great foreplay and makes for the greatest sex.

Let's get it on. ;) 💗

This is my favorite of Kings work and you're right, he didn't stick the landing, still my favorite.

My mom bought The Gunslinger and brought it me when I was 17 in a NH youth detention center halfway house in Manchester, NH. My room was filled with classics, philosophy, psychology and even eastern books like the Tao of Pooh that I was devouring.

The second she left after a calzone dinner I forgot all the other books and opened to chapter 1.

What really drew me in was Roland sitting with the Man In Black as the Man talked about the world moving on, like a dying blade of grass.

Freaking brilliant.

Better not to be a tease? Well not if a "Happy Ending" is not in the cards but a great tease is pretty much great foreplay and makes for the greatest sex.

Let's get it on. ;) 💗
Roland is the bomb.

Yes, for real and thinking of rereading it. Consider what time frame he wrote it and what was going on in the world and his life. When he was recovering in the hospital he got boat load of letters from fans asking if he was going to finish it to asking how it ends if he wasn't. I mean boat loads.

#HaveAbout95% of his works.
Time frame? Time frame? The first part of what became The Gunslinger was published in 1978. The Gunslinger was compiled and published as a single book in 1982. Then:
And a tagalong (technically book 4.5) in 2012.

Even if you're talking about just the main 7 books, that's over a quarter century! What "time frame" are you referring to, and what world/life events?

Roland is the bomb.
My favorite characters are, in order: Eddie, Oy, Susan Delgado, Alain, and a special shout-out to Andy the Messenger Robot (Many Other Functions).

But it's all about the world, the concepts, and the legendarium.

Time frame? Time frame? The first part of what became The Gunslinger was published in 1978. The Gunslinger was compiled and published as a single book in 1982. Then:
And a tagalong (technically book 4.5) in 2012.

Even if you're talking about just the main 7 books, that's over a quarter century! What "time frame" are you referring to, and what world/life events?
I should have placed a ? in my post in answering you on why did he spend so much time on this one series. My bad.I don't know why. He writes on a different atmosphere than I do and most writers. Some periods he cranks out ebooks that have no print copy to be purchased. Some years I can't keep up with my collection he writes so many. He did some special medication back in the day, ask JL, that I think gave him a different perspective on sone of his books.

My favorite characters are, in order: Eddie, Oy, Susan Delgado, Alain, and a special shout-out to Andy the Messenger Robot (Many Other Functions).

The world building in this series could be turned into a class. To me, brilliant.

I'm glad you brought up Eddie.

One line related to Eddie is about Newport Menthol Cigarettes.

Please forgive the words, they are Kings literary words.

"Newports are for junkies and niggers"

Figuring they may know something I didn't, I bought a pack, loved it and have never smoked a Marlboro ever since.

An added bonus or maybe a feature of that statement is that virtually no one ever asks to bum a smoke cause they hate Menthol. Yay!!!

:)

I'm glad you brought up Eddie.

One line related to Eddie is about Newport Menthol Cigarettes.

Please forgive the words, they are Kings literary words.

"Newports are for junkies and niggers"

Figuring they may know something I didn't, I bought a pack, loved it and have never smoked a Marlboro ever since.

An added bonus or maybe a feature of that statement is that virtually no one ever asks to bum a smoke cause they hate Menthol. Yay!!!

Quit smoking dude.

Get a gym membership.

Stop drinking that shit beer.

Come om man! Do better.
JJ
Just kidding. Do whatever the fuck you want.👍🏻

Told this story earlier. When I was a brand new caddy The older guys would grab the soda you bought from the vending machine in the caddy shack (halfway full or more ) . I switched to moxie 'cause I'd heard none of them wanted, everybody hated, my moxie. Didn't love it at first sip, but I soon came to love it and have loved it ever since and always kept my drink. :rofl:

Quit smoking dude.

Get a gym membership.

Stop drinking that shit beer.

Come om man! Do better.
JJ
Just kidding. Do whatever the fuck you want.👍🏻

Thanks for your concern but heck no.

I've always lived from the premise that I choose to live my life fully and fully enjoy it even if it takes some years off the end.

l always hated the gym.

Enjoy competitive or relaxing exercise like basketball or kayaking. But I despite repepition. In fact I only lasted 3 days at a factory when I was 19. Lol

Not long ago I had all manner of tests cuz I'm 50 now, as usual I'm very healthy, no issues.

That is not usual, what is unusual is that my doctors knowing my level of enjoyment of drink and a lifetime of smoking and more, they ran my lung and liver tests 5 times.

They came to me and could not believe that after everything I've done and lack of respect for my physical existence, eating whatever I want and and paying little attention to health, that I am not only healthy I'm unnaturally healthy.

At 50 years old they told me I have the lungs of an 18 year old and a liver which is that of a man who has never had a dropped to drink.

They weren't like, by far they weren't like that 10 years ago.

They're blown away and not seen this before.

They asked me if I'd be willing to be the subject of a lengthy study at Dartmouth Hospital, psychiatric and physical. Cuz at 50 not only am I unnaturally healthy and I exhibit no signs of the mental heath issues that plaqued me when I was younger and need no medication any longer. In fact my mind is razor sharp now, all the time, and is almost indefatigable and my IQ has grown. I was always sky high on the conceptuaI and verbal aspects but now suddenly I do well on the spacial aspects I was always God awful at.

Go figure.

I asked them if I agree to the study can I keep smoking and drinking. They know drinking causes me 0 real world problems, my personality never changes everything except a brighter mood, which is rarely bad anyway. I have had 1 hangover in my life and it's almost impossible for me to get drunk no matter what. Been like that for a long time. In fact my friends dont recall that happening since I was 17.

They said sure, why the hell not?

So I've been involved in a single patient study for about 3 months and it's getting interesting to say the least.

I joke that this is doing nothing to destroy my messiah complex I've had had since I was 4. 😂

Thanks for the concern though, it's always appreciated. 💗

Told this story earlier. When I was a brand new caddy The older guys would grab the soda you bought from the vending machine in the caddy shack (halfway full or more ) . I switched to moxie 'cause I'd heard none of them wanted, everybody hated, my moxie. Didn't love it at first sip, but I soon came to love it and have loved it ever since and always kept my drink. :rofl:

Lol

That's awesome man.

My great aunt used to drink that.

It's amazing what we can aquire a taste for, even my cheap beer so I don't go broke. Lol

I don't even enjoy more expensive beers and like your Moxie, no one ever wants one.

Score!!!

Other quotes:

View attachment 14263View attachment 14264View attachment 14265View attachment 14266

This project is getting some serious buzz. I have probably read 2/3rds of King's stuff, but have only dabbled in the Dark Tower stuff and will look forward to the series to
see if that hooks me. I can see the appeal it could generate, but it hasn't sunk in for me.

In addition to the DT stuff there are a large number of other new film projects based on his stuff in process and King has gotten better at being involved with the production teams to bridge the gap between the page and the screen and ensure that his vision gets translated, which hasn't always been the case.

Over the last dozen years or so, I think his stuff has been some of his best ever and that's coming from somebody that quit reading for about 15 years and never expected to start again.

Joyland, The Institute, 11/22/63, Mr. Mercedes, Finders Keepers, End of Watch, The Outsider, Dr. Sleep and Later were all more recent works, all were quite good and
I've just begun Fairy Tale. Three have been made into series or films and I expect all of the rest will follow. He's always been prolific in terms of volume, but the quality is
now there consistently. King is a hotter property in Hollywood than he's ever been.

This project is getting some serious buzz. I have probably read 2/3rds of King's stuff, but have only dabbled in the Dark Tower stuff and will look forward to the series to
see if that hooks me. I can see the appeal it could generate, but it hasn't sunk in for me.

In addition to the DT stuff there are a
Joyland, The Institute, 11/22/63, Mr. Mercedes, Finders Keepers, End of Watch, The Outsider, Dr. Sleep and Later were all more recent works, all were quite good and
I've just begun Fairy Tale.
Three have been made into series or films and I expect all of the rest will follow. He's always been prolific in terms of volume, but the quality is
now there consistently. King is a hotter property in Hollywood than he's ever been.
Apart from 11/22/63, I have read what you listed and simply loved. I have 11/22/73 but it hasn't peaked my interest to read just yet.

I placed Fairy Tale on my Amazon wish list. If no one gets it for me I will purchase it myself, have a $50 gift card from Barnes and Nobles. I plan on getting the books of him I don't have yet with it. I know I'll go over. I can't leave a bookstore with just a few books.

Quick digression. There is a very small library in my town in fact it's part of a building that houses low income people. It was run by nuns. They had heard how he donate money to libraries across the state so they inquired and he sent them a really nice check to keep the library going. 💞 From that other top tier authors donated books and money to keep my one room library going that is now two rooms thanks to him and them. #Grateful

He started a small writing program on his property, not sure if it's still going, I need to check. I'm sure there is a long ass waiting list but if it's still going my name is going on it.

Back