This is why the Owners will win...

sonsofkraftybob

Mmmmmm, feet! Nom, Nom, Nom.
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41855264/ns/business-personal_finance/

Though a lockout has been threatened for years — and despite an apparent rise in the number of football stars safeguarding their millions — roughly 380 of the NFL's near 1,700 players still live paycheck to paycheck, according to financial experts familiar with the league.

Perhaps it’s the fear of going months without pay, or maybe it’s the notoriously high bankruptcy rate among retired NFL players — estimated at nearly 80 percent by Sports Illustrated

Such steps, Wilkes believes, help players survive during and after NFL careers that, on average, last just 3.3 seasons.

Despite that typically short taste of pro ball, more than 20 percent of NFL players live check to check and fail to put money into savings, both Wilkes and Piascik estimated.

For that fast-living slice of the league, “there’s going to be a shock factor” if the lockout interrupts their income, Piascik said.

If you are a football player in a D1 college you should be required to take economics as a Minor.

Though a lockout has been threatened for years — and despite an apparent rise in the number of football stars safeguarding their millions — roughly 380 of the NFL's near 1,700 players still live paycheck to paycheck, according to financial experts familiar with the league.

Perhaps it’s the fear of going months without pay, or maybe it’s the notoriously high bankruptcy rate among retired NFL players — estimated at nearly 80 percent by Sports Illustrated

Such steps, Wilkes believes, help players survive during and after NFL careers that, on average, last just 3.3 seasons.

Despite that typically short taste of pro ball, more than 20 percent of NFL players live check to check and fail to put money into savings, both Wilkes and Piascik estimated.

For that fast-living slice of the league, “there’s going to be a shock factor” if the lockout interrupts their income, Piascik said.

If you are a football player in a D1 college you should be required to take economics as a Minor.

Lisa's post in the Random Football thread alluded to this in that players are asking other players for loans already.

Steve Smith has been trying to teach other players about finances and I think THIS is the way to get players to listen, if they will AT all.

They're offered advice in the Rookie Symposium I believe.
They're offered TUITION REIMBURSEMENT (which blows my mind) also.
They're offered short internships at prestigious business schools.
It seems a large amount of these players seldom listen to or heed warnings or advice which at times is a mentality they must have to play a violent game at full tilt but this "I am immortal and bad things will not happen to me EVER and the FUTURE IS NOW" teenager type mentality serves them poorly everywhere else.

It seems a large amount of these players seldom listen to or heed warnings or advice which at times is a mentality they must have to play a violent game at full tilt but this "I am immortal and bad things will not happen to me EVER and the FUTURE IS NOW" teenager type mentality serves them poorly everywhere else.
We know from Reiss and others that NE runs year long mandatory classes for their rookies, Coach Nash was the one running them last year, I don't know if he'll keep that assignment with his new promotion. God bless the Kraft family and the NE Football Operations team for doing their best to get through to the youngsters early before they get into trouble ... which makes Willie Andrews a special kind of numbskull.

This is why the Owners will win...

And this is why there'll be a lockout...

DeMaurice-SMith.jpg

We know from Reiss and others that NE runs year long mandatory classes for their rookies, Coach Nash was the one running them last year, I don't know if he'll keep that assignment with his new promotion. God bless the Kraft family and the NE Football Operations team for doing their best to get through to the youngsters early before they get into trouble ... which makes Willie Andrews a special kind of numbskull.
I didn't know that, good stuff about the program.

I am sure some will scoff at my take but I don't care..

You can offer all of this and say this but you need to get to the deeply rooted CULTURAL reasons all of the above may not yet have been effective. So many of these kids come from nothing and never had a role model to teach them any financial discipline. Even further, the NCAA bears responsibility for not stepping up to the plate while they are in school, IMO. They use them and make money and are the minors for the NFL yet take little to no responsibility for how these young men develop as PEOPLE.

Not so sure 'bout this:

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1663868

Looks like the owners' income is gonna get turned off as well now thanks to the Doty ruling. It should embolden the players...I wonder who blinks?

I've been brutal on Dee Smith, but this was a really excellent move on his part, really planning ahead. Like Longshanks sending for his French, Irish, and Welsh troops before sending the Princess on a peace mission.

David Cornwell was just on Mike & Mike and says the real thing players/Smith have to decide is if the deal they can get now is better than the one they will have to to take later when players start missing checks. He suggested that DeSmith tell Goodell that since Smith didn't negotiate the last deal, he will acquiesce this year on fighting for full revenue disclosure via seeing the books and he will give them a "plug" of a billion dollars in year one but that will not happen going forward. He thinks some games will be missed for sure.

Looks like the owners' income is gonna get turned off as well now thanks to the Doty ruling. It should embolden the players...I wonder who blinks?

I've been brutal on Dee Smith, but this was a really excellent move on his part, really planning ahead. Like Longshanks sending for his French, Irish, and Welsh troops before sending the Princess on a peace mission.

These guys have multiple and vast sources of income. NOT going to affect them like it will the players.

These guys have multiple and vast sources of income. NOT going to affect them like it will the players.

Really?! You think every other owner has multiple businesses, investureships, etc. like Bob Kraft? The $4B no access to NFL TV monies by teams owners will make MANY of them hurt bigtime starting at 12:00 AM this morning. I believe there are MANY more players than what is being perceived by most in this thread, who do have financial management savy and are prepared to support the PA for the lockout. I mean players like Carson Palmer, who will retire if Bengals do not trade him, will do fine with his 80M in his savings account, for one instance.

It is most of the owners who are totally irresponsible for some of their financial mismanagement in their authorizing player contracts to the extent that they are today. Along with paying unproven rookies that have never played a NFL down mega-millions across the board. In line, counting on Federal, State, or local funding to assist with building their new stadiums or maintaining same. Yes, the Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, and Bob Kraft as top 3 richest NFL team owners will survive because they are few that have the riches, and multiple business investures, etc. But most of the rest of owners will be more hurtin for certain between 12:00 AM this coming morning to Sept 1, 2011 than allot of players who have been prepared and schooled by the PA, some teams, etc.

My bottom line is to just get a new longterm CBA starting 2011 into the future before the April draft to enable as much 2011 NFL seasonal normalcy as possible. :thumb:

Really?! You think every other owner has multiple businesses, investureships, etc. like Bob Kraft? The $4B no access to NFL TV monies by teams owners will make MANY of them hurt bigtime starting at 12:00 AM this morning. I believe there are MANY more players than what is being perceived by most in this thread, who do have financial management savy and are prepared to support the PA for the lockout. I mean players like Carson Palmer, who will retire if Bengals do not trade him, will do fine with his 80M in his savings account, for one instance.

It is most of the owners who are totally irresponsible for some of their financial mismanagement in their authorizing player contracts to the extent that they are today. Along with paying unproven rookies that have never played a NFL down mega-millions across the board. In line, counting on Federal, State, or local funding to assist with building their new stadiums or maintaining same. Yes, the Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, and Bob Kraft as top 3 richest NFL team owners will survive because they are few that have the riches, and multiple business investures, etc. But most of the rest of owners will be more hurtin for certain between 12:00 AM this coming morning to Sept 1, 2011 than allot of players who have been prepared and schooled by the PA, some teams, etc.

My bottom line is to just get a new longterm CBA starting 2011 into the future before the April draft to enable as much 2011 NFL seasonal normalcy as possible. :thumb:

I agree with this. We NE fans are used to the home product, and forget other franchises are/were hurting financially long before a lockout threat loomed. Players can continue to reap $$ from endorsements, public appearances, etc. Bottom line is fans want to see football, and the players are the reason we buy tickets. Owners should treat players as a business partner, not as a commodity.

I agree with this. We NE fans are used to the home product, and forget other franchises are/were hurting financially long before a lockout threat loomed. Players can continue to reap $$ from endorsements, public appearances, etc. Bottom line is fans want to see football, and the players are the reason we buy tickets. Owners should treat players as a business partner, not as a commodity.

Every NFL franchise is in the top 50 sports franchises in the world in terms of value. Any NFL owner can get a bridge loan using their franchise as collateral to carry them over what minimal expenses they have if there is no season(s) - stadium leases or whatever. I don't know any NFL franchise that is hurting financially when the games are played, and I doubt any franchise is really hurting if the games aren't played at all, assuming of course, that NFL does not cease to exist completely.

You are SO Right On! Actually can anyone please explain to me why the Patriots are treating Logan Mankins the way they currently are? I mean Bob Kraft says he knows Mankins is one of the best NFL OLman and wants him to be a Pats player for longtem, and then signs washup Marcus Stroud for 2 years. :fire:

Okay, I must be missing something totally on why Pats already know that Mankins held out last year for half the season and they still FT torture this player instead of giving him a secured long term contract that he has earned by his on the field performance, never missed a game he was eligible to play in, and never missed an authorized practice for 6.5 years now. I honestly do not see this as " Owners should treat players as a business partner ". :confused:

Every NFL franchise is in the top 50 sports franchises in the world in terms of value. Any NFL owner can get a bridge loan using their franchise as collateral to carry them over what minimal expenses they have if there is no season(s) - stadium leases or whatever. I don't know any NFL franchise that is hurting financially when the games are played, and I doubt any franchise is really hurting if the games aren't played at all, assuming of course, that NFL does not cease to exist completely.

Buffalo, Cincinnati, Jacksonville all say :rolleyes:

And how much debt do you think Krafty's and Jerry Jones's and the Jets/Giiants metropolis's are already carrying?

Actually can anyone please explain to me why the Patriots are treating Logan Mankins the way they currently are? I mean Bob Kraft says he knows Mankins is one of the best NFL OLman and wants him to be a Pats player for longtem, and then signs washup Marcus Stroud for 2 years. :fire:

Okay, I must be missing something totally on why Pats already know that Mankins held out last year for half the season and they still FT torture this player instead of giving him a secured long term contract that he has earned by his on the field performance, never missed a game he was eligible to play in, and never missed an authorized practice for 6.5 years now. I honestly do not see this as " Owners should treat players as a business partner ". :confused:
Well, too start with they aren't business partners on the individual level, that has to develop between the NFLPA leadership and the NFL at that level where the interests of the two align. In Mankins' case, he's an employee, one with a predetermined monetary value assigned by his employer before his renegotiations began. Because Mankins is a valuable NFL commodity, NE is trying to retain him, but within the value they've assigned, how far apart in terms of that value we don't really know, how far apart in terms of what each are "hearing" when statements are made does appear to be wider - it happens.

After midnight, Mankins agent is able to shop him to the other 31 teams under the terms of the non-exclusive franchise tag. NE has given Mankins and his team the opportunity to find a better deal, but whomever wants Mankins more, is going to have to pay for it in draft picks - two firsts - and NE is going to play hardball on that price, they may settle for a first and second, but I don't see them going lower. Mankins at least gets to test the market and try to find a better situation, at worst he re-signs with NE for the market rate "he" established when he shopped himself around the league.

Bob Kraft has built a financially savvy organization, they are going to do things the way Kraft has set it up because it's the business model that works best. Nothing personal until you make it personal, Mankins has been given the chance to get the best deal he can, but NE isn't going to give him away no matter how angry he gets, so keep your temper and welcome to the big leagues. Play your cards right and you get the $8M annually you want with a big guarantee up front.

Buffalo, Cincinnati, Jacksonville all say :rolleyes:

And how much debt do you think Krafty's and Jerry Jones's and the Jets/Giiants metropolis's are already carrying?

Wow, some more Right On point truism ! :thumb: Actually, the Dolphins have a multi-ownership or should I say Steven Ross has limited partners with folks like Serena & Venus Williams, Mark Anthony and Jenifer Lopez, Gloria Estevan, and etc. But Ross is the controlling owner who will take the major losses hit the longer the lockout goes on. :peace:

Well, too start with they aren't business partners on the individual level, that has to develop between the NFLPA leadership and the NFL at that level where the interests of the two align. In Mankins' case, he's an employee, one with a predetermined monetary value assigned by his employer before his renegotiations began. Because Mankins is a valuable NFL commodity, NE is trying to retain him, but within the value they've assigned, how far apart in terms of that value we don't really know, how far apart in terms of what each are "hearing" when statements are made does appear to be wider - it happens.

After midnight, Mankins agent is able to shop him to the other 31 teams under the terms of the non-exclusive franchise tag. NE has given Mankins and his team the opportunity to find a better deal, but whomever wants Mankins more, is going to have to pay for it in draft picks - two firsts - and NE is going to play hardball on that price, they may settle for a first and second, but I don't see them going lower. Mankins at least gets to test the market and try to find a better situation, at worst he re-signs with NE for the market rate "he" established when he shopped himself around the league.

Bob Kraft has built a financially savvy organization, they are going to do things the way Kraft has set it up because it's the business model that works best. Nothing personal until you make it personal, Mankins has been given the chance to get the best deal he can, but NE isn't going to give him away no matter how angry he gets, so keep your temper and welcome to the big leagues. Play your cards right and you get the $8M annually you want with a big guarantee up front.

Speculative.

I know the league said the Franchise tag was still in effect, but the players may choose to argue that since the CBA is now void that language that is a part of it is void as well. Franchise tag is a negotited facet afterall.

Speculative.

I know the league said the Franchise tag was still in effect, but the players may choose to argue that since the CBA is now void that language that is a part of it is void as well. Franchise tag is a negotited facet afterall.
Yes, the CBA situation makes it all problematic, but it doesn't change the franchise tag designation in terms of what NE was/is giving Mankins. Frankly, I'm surprised Lolo hasn't signed it and guaranteed himself $10M, but he may already have some backdoor offers which tell him to play hardball himself.

Back