Tina Turner RIP

Sad Lilo And Stitch GIF

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC5E8ie2pdM

Godspeed, Tina. <3 You were simply the best.

A large part of my playlist.

Tina and the so-called "Ikettes" sang backup vocals on two of Frank Zappa's studio albums. Overnight Sensation and Apostrophe('). Ike insisted that they go uncredited, and Tina was paid $25 for the work.

Her voice is unmistakable though.

Here are some clips of that work that most probably do not know.

View: https://youtu.be/CIW2KzxUusI

I never personally cared for her work, however she appears to have had a great impact on others and she was a human being so, Rest In Peace Tina.

I never personally cared for her work, however she appears to have had a great impact on others and she was a human being so, Rest In Peace Tina.

I'm a sucker for any good singer with rasp and/or vibrato.

But with Tina...there was an attitude. It was in the voice, in the lyrics, in the moves, a confidence that was sexy as Hell. People like Madonna sort of "perform" that kind of sexy confidence....but for Tina, it was natural. It was her essence. And yet her music was always a little melancholy when you really listen....there was always something lost, or something missing, or something to regret.

It wasn't just her music for me. It was something she touched on...something like "Yes, I bleed, but I survive." Sometimes it's an inspirational surviving, sometimes it's a defeatism..such as "Hero" or "Private Dancer".

I get you, though...in my younger years, she was "background music" and it did nothing for me. It wasn't until I sat and listened to her music, on it's own, that my appreciation grew.

But with Tina...there was an attitude. It was in the voice, in the lyrics, in the moves, a confidence that was sexy as Hell. People like Madonna sort of "perform" that kind of sexy confidence....but for Tina, it was natural. It was her essence. And yet her music was always a little melancholy when you really listen....there was always something lost, or something missing, or something to regret.

It wasn't just her music for me. It was something she touched on...something like "Yes, I bleed, but I survive." Sometimes it's an inspirational surviving, sometimes it's a defeatism..such as "Hero" or "Private Dancer".

I get you, though...in my younger years, she was "background music" and it did nothing for me. It wasn't until I sat and listened to her music, on it's own, that my appreciation grew.
This!

I bought a copy of River Deep Mountain High because Phil Spector produced it, but quickly became a fan of Tina's voice. The album has many famous and standout tracks, but my favorite track is her lesser known cover of every day I have to cry. Truly a beautiful rendition that has become one of my all time favorite songs.

Back