Tom Brady and the economics of Football

Stevo

Reaction score
In Many ways this thread us just another “Tom Brady is the greatest” thread that I have no doubt have been posted a thousand times before. The purposes of this topic is to a verbalise an idea that’s been rolling around in my head since the Superbowl
The central thesis is this:

Tom Brady is not the Greatest Inspite of Playing with 2nd Tier Talent for most of his career, he is the greatest because he plays with that talent.

Since the salary cap was instituted in the mid 90’s winning at football became as much a study in economics as conventional football strategies. and much as the Oakland A’s decided that the premium paid for speed and power hitting was a poor investment I believe that Top Tier WR Talent is simply an expense that can’t be justified.

Tom Brady can, and has, played at an All-World level with elite wide reciever talent but far more importantly then that, Tom Brady can play at a pro-bowl level with two assholes he kidnapped from a pickup basketball game. That skill makes Tom Brady an incredibly valuable tool in the econimics of football.

A Quick analysis of the key players in the Pats Superbowl run
Gronk - 9 Million a Year
Amendola - 6 Million
Edelman - 4 Million
Lafell - 3 Million

Total Average Cap Hit of the Four Key Pass Players - 22 Million

I have no idea how much of these contracts are real money and how much is BS but…...

Megatron - 16.5 Million
Fitzgerald - 15 Million
Mike Wallace - 12.5 Million
Brandon Marshall - 10 Million
Jordy Nelson - 10 Million
Eric Decker 8 Million a Year

The point is that the pats can put together a top 5 offense and they can do it on the cheap, I believe that Brady is the linchpin in that strategy.

There are other ways to leverage the economics of football, by drafting quality talent and getting a lot of value out of them on their rookie contracts, a lot of the seahawks success probably comes from the 12-15 Million they save on Russell Wilson’s contract every year and the Broncos have also had a lot of success with the Thomas’s and Dummervil

I’m getting bored now so I’m going to wrap this up, Tom Brady is the greatest QB of the salary cap era because of his ability to lead top tier offenses on the cheap.

Yeah, Brady easily could have demanded more and would have gotten it.

When considering how we should view other QBs as "selfish" (not what you said, but there are some who view it that way), it does make it easier to take a paycut when your wife makes 40-50 million dollars per year

Gisele Bundchen... the real MVP?

When considering how we should view other QBs as "selfish" (not what you said, but there are some who view it that way), it does make it easier to take a paycut when your wife makes 40-50 million dollars per year

He was restructuring before he met her. It's never been about the money for him. It's always been about winning.

It is not Giselle, it is he has enough money.

think only football, Tom has cashed $149,000,000 plus in checks so far.....how much more does he really need?

He was restructuring before he met her. It's never been about the money for him. It's always been about winning.

His prior restructures still saw him getting his money. It was just setting it up so the Patriots could use more cap space.

think only football, Tom has cashed $149,000,000 plus in checks so far.....how much more does he really need?

Yep. Peyton has made 75 million more than Brady in NFL contracts IIRC, not to mention what is I'm sure an insane income from commercials and he is still squeezing for everyone penny he can get out of the Broncos. I think if he had checked his ego and gone to the Niners (would have had to take a Brady esque contract), that he wins back to back championships the past two seasons.

Man, would that be nice. And that doesn't even include Ugg money.

His prior restructures still saw him getting his money. It was just setting it up so the Patriots could use more cap space.

Yep. Peyton has made 75 million more than Brady in NFL contracts IIRC, not to mention what is I'm sure an insane income from commercials and he is still squeezing for everyone penny he can get out of the Broncos. I think if he had checked his ego and gone to the Niners (would have had to take a Brady esque contract), that he wins back to back championships the past two seasons.

I had forgotten about the 49er head fake he made before the Donks. I bet you are correct about 1 SB at least. So much would be different today had he made that more intelligent (if less $) decision.

Think about the all the Walmart Wolverines here in Michigan that would still be wallowing in their bud light (no offense to BL drinkers everywhere) because Harbaugh would still be in SF and the latest A2 failure would be more obvious.....popcorn

Respect

Hey, everyone knows that in the NFL it isn't about the money, it's about respect. Money is just the only plausible way of measuring how much your team respects you.

By this standard, the very respectable Peyton is clearly the GOAT.

Peyton has made 75 million more than Brady in NFL contracts IIRC, not to mention what is I'm sure an insane income from commercials

Perhaps, but Peyton started in a different position. #1 overall pick before a rookie cap, 3 years in the league before Brady started a game, his ceiling was always going to eclipse Brady's in that respect.

Tommy also has made a substantial amount of money away from the game. He just goes about making it in a different way than Peyton does. I'd put Brady's off-field income at or above Manning's probably.

Think about the all the Walmart Wolverines here in Michigan that would still be wallowing in their bud light (no offense to BL drinkers everywhere) because Harbaugh would still be in SF and the latest A2 failure would be more obvious.....popcorn

Downriver is more Bud Heavy territory, IMO.

Perhaps, but Peyton started in a different position. #1 overall pick before a rookie cap, 3 years in the league before Brady started a game, his ceiling was always going to eclipse Brady's in that respect.

Tommy also has made a substantial amount of money away from the game. He just goes about making it in a different way than Peyton does. I'd put Brady's off-field income at or above Manning's probably.

Aside from taking the higher road in endorsements, i.e., Movado v. Papa John's or Ugg v. Oreos, he's made brilliant real estate investments..

Downriver is more Bud Heavy territory, IMO.

Downriver IS more Bud heavy... Here in Rochester more craft beer heavy.... No idea what it is is A2 anymore but back in the party days it was a LOT of Smithwicks at Connor O'Neill's....

:party:

Back