Tom Brady/Tampa Off-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sports Bar Beer GIF by Buffalo Wild Wings

Brady just defined a new area where QBs can be rated: post-post-season passing of championship trophies.

It looked like Brady's pass went about 10 yards. Because it was completed, and was followed by a number of participants raising their arms, I think it counts as a score.

Based on my calculations, Brady's passer rating in the post-post-season is 148.

All other QBs combined, in history, don't have a computable rating in the post-post-season, because their combined number of attempts is 0.

Last edited:

Brady just defined a new area where QBs can be rated: the post-post-season.

It looked like Brady's pass went about 10 yards. Because it was completed, and was followed by a number of participants raising their arms, I think it counts as a score.

Based on my calculations, Brady's passer rating in the post-post-season is 148.

All other QBs combined, in history, don't have a computable rating in the post-post-season, because their combined number of attempts is 0.

Gronk dented his rep fwiw...

With Brees retiring and Rodgers belly aching again, the NFC is lined up for them to truck roll right through. They play the NFC East and also have a second place schedule so they play the Rams and Bears instead of the Packers and Seahawks. The Saints get those 2 teams instead. Probably looking at 12-13 wins.
19-0

I’m sure someone, somewhere on the web is talking shite about this, I think it’s awesome lol. Dude had a good day.
I would imagine that first sip of tequila tasted so sweet after the season he had with the Covid protocols, new team, new play book, etc. He deserves to sit back and just enjoy this off-season in the Florida sun.

I just read a marvelous post which I posted below from Patsfans about how the Bucs can maintain all their guys and sign new talent. This is from a poster called AlexB. I enjoyed his breakdown and analysis of the Bucs going all in for Brady vs the Patriots of model of building for sustained success.

I think you're looking at this from the context of maintaining a team for 20 years (similar to what the Pats did), rather than maximizing a 2-3+ year window (see what the Saints have been doing). If you just want the SB window, you can absolutely bring everyone back and even add talent if you wanted to. Yes, eventually the bills will come due, but this is a franchise that only had 6 playoff wins prior to this year (now 10 playoff wins) - what do they have to lose? It's better to try to win now when they have the chance.

In order to keep everyone, they'll need to: (1) Create cap space by converting salary to signing bonuses and (2) Re-sign players with contracts that are structured with low upfront cap hits.

1. Possible Extensions (can be done using voidable years if they can't come to agreement on extension terms)
- Brady by 4 years. Convert $24m of salary/ roster to signing bonus, resulting in $19m of cap savings
-Mike Evans by 2 years, convert $11.25m of salary, resulting in $9m of cap savings
-Ryan Jensen by 4 years, savings of $7.2m
-Cameron Brate by 2 years, savings of $4.4m

Just these four extensions create $42m of cap space, resulting in total cap space of over $70m. There are also other opportunities if they need more.

2. Re-sign Godwin, David, Barrett, Gronk, Brown, Suh
- Godwin, Barrett, and David can all be signed to market deals that have a Year 1 cap hit of around $7-8m (or even less). If you want to see how these can be structured, look at similar deals signed by Michael Thomas, Trey Flowers ($18m/y deal but Year 1 cap hit of only $6.4m), Anthony Barr, and many other free agents
-Think Brown will accept a low money deal with incentives
-Gronk can be signed to a 2 year $16m deal with 3 voidable years. Year 1 base salary of $1m and $7m signing bonus (cap hit of only $2.4m). Suh will cost even less

With all of this, Bucs would still have $35m+ of cap space and could even make a couple of other moves. Now, they don't need to do every single one of these moves, but they absolutely could if they wanted to. Seems totally worth it for a franchise that hasn't won much in its history. Really, the limiting factor is how much upfront cash ownership is willing to spend.

It's gonna be an interesting off season down there in Tampa. Lots of free agents. Lets see if they can make the though choices and let some of them go. Shaq Barrett is saying he wants a big long term deal. David and Goodwin probably want the same. Fournette should get som offers. Gronk and AB could sign friendly deals to stay with Tom. Suh is also up for grabs, but could be cheap as he is getting older.

This is what BB was good at. You can't keep them all, and you need new hungry guys to come in. Ill asume there will be a lot of ring chasers they can sign.
Sadly I think it makes a lot of sence for them to let Goodwin go and try to get Jules on a much lower contract. I don't think its smart to have two WRs on mega deals.

It's gonna be an interesting off season down there in Tampa. Lots of free agents. Lets see if they can make the though choices and let some of them go. Shaq Barrett is saying he wants a big long term deal. David and Goodwin probably want the same. Fournette should get som offers. Gronk and AB could sign friendly deals to stay with Tom. Suh is also up for grabs, but could be cheap as he is getting older.

This is what BB was good at. You can't keep them all, and you need new hungry guys to come in. Ill asume there will be a lot of ring chasers they can sign.
Sadly I think it makes a lot of sence for them to let Goodwin go and try to get Jules on a much lower contract. I don't think its smart to have two WRs on mega deals.
Godwin is their top priority. The GM said they will tag him if it comes to that. Barrett is interesting to me. He will command a big salary and I think they can get a DE in the draft.

Do y’all think James White gets resigned?

If not Tampa seems like a logical choice.

Do y’all think James White gets resigned?

If not Tampa seems like a logical choice.
It depends if the Pats are in full rebuild mode or not. Last year Bill kept McCourty and tagged Thuney. I think he still believed he had a team to try to make a run to the post-season if he had at least decent QB play. I think White is going to have a robust market because of his skillset and I would think Tampa would be all over him as well as the Colts.

Godwin is their top priority. The GM said they will tag him if it comes to that. Barrett is interesting to me. He will command a big salary and I think they can get a DE in the draft.
I am sure he will be wanted. But for TFB's SB LI, White's performance there is unmatched (IMO) in super bowl history with his Receiving TD, 2 Rushing TDs, Rushing 2 Pt conversion for the SB record of 20 points scored And his SB record 14 receptions for 110 yards, Everyone saw that and he has been watched and admired ever since. If SweetFeet goes, I will be sad, He has quietly become a significant part of the Patriot legend.

Cheers

I am sure he will be wanted. But for TFB's SB LI, White's performance there is unmatched (IMO) in super bowl history with his Receiving TD, 2 Rushing TDs, Rushing 2 Pt conversion for the SB record of 20 points scored And his SB record 14 receptions for 110 yards, Everyone saw that and he has been watched and admired ever since. If SweetFeet goes, I will be sad, He has quietly become a significant part of the Patriot legend.

Cheers
I echo all of this. White has been simply fantastic and about as dependable as any Patriot has ever been. However, he fits the profile of a guy that is on his way out of Foxboro because we have a much cheaper alternative in the pipeline who appears to be able to play.

I felt almost the same way when we lost Shane Vereen to FA, which gave James White his chance. Nobody knew that would work out as well as it did.

Go J.J. Taylor, I guess.

Vereen is/was no James White. Maybe if he could have stayed healthy.

I really hope he stays. He’d be a great asset for a young QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back