Tom Brady/Tampa Off-season thread

deec77

Reaction score
They have. President but they do not have owners and I would much rather a player go to their owner than to take it to the media.

Players even with owners go to the Media...

~Dee~

Hawg73

Mediocre with flashes of brilliance
Reaction score
If there was any misjudgement by BB, and I don't think there was, that misjudgement was colored by TFB turning into TB12 right before our eyes.
The last year he was here, when he had more 'tude than any of us had ever seen from him, most of us knew BB wouldn't stand for that kind of mutinous behavior any longer.
It wasn't Brady's play, it was his attitude that turned BB against him.

First off, the correct phrase is "collossal" misjudgement. Please try to keep that straight moving forward.

In all seriousness, part of the complexity of the situation was that Bill has always had the final say here and we all recall the dilemma we had with an established legend getting well into
QB old age and a young QB with potential that couldn't get snaps. We couldn't be sure WHAT exactly he was but carrying two starter QB salaries wasn't realistic. Brady knew he had
plenty of clout with Kraft and didn't appreciate actual competition.

Brady knew full well that Kraft was even more emotionally attached to him than the fan base who expected a Super Bowl trip or a close call every season -- so he stopped
being a dutiful soldier and starting flexing his muscles by forcing the Jimmy trade and lobbying hard for a talented-yet-borderline sociopath in Antonio Brown who lasted
exactly one week before he once again was in big trouble. Brady was finding out that that he was the most powerful player in the league and once he got a taste he wanted
more and played out the string in 2019 as he tunneled his way out of Foxboro one spoonful at a time while pretending to give a shit for idiots like me who paid 1300 bucks
a season to watch him. He didn't like taking orders, Bill didn't like having criminals on his roster and Kraft just wanted Tom to love him. It was like an unintentional comedy. Things
had reached critical mass in Foxboro.

I could criticize all three of them for various mistakes along the way, but, perhaps more importantly for the sport as a whole, Brady showed all the other top stars in the league that they didn't have to just cash their ridiculous paychecks and do what the boss said anymore -- They too could be the influential swinging dicks and what Rodgers is doing up in Green Bay is right out of Brady's playbook. This is not the last time we will be seeing guys mobilize the media and the fanbase to get whatever they want and the contract they signed is just a piece of paper because
now they get to be HAPPY too. The inmates can now run the asylum. You can't sit your superstar QB out because he's being a dick, so he's in control.

All of this is considered fact based on Tom's Big 2019 Tampa Adventure. A perfect scenario that might never happen again. Everything came up rainbows and unicorns for them in the
shittiest year ever of NFL football for anybody outside of Tampa Bay.

I don't know if anybody here knows that Tampa is FAVORED to go to the Super Bowl this season, but I just figured I'd mention it in case anybody missed the news.

It's also possible that they could get key injuries, have chemistry issues or just plain not play as well as so many other teams have found out the hard way. Or maybe next season their last two opponents don't lose both of their pro-bowl OTs and replace them all with sorry-assed slappies who can't pass block. That was unbelievably fortunate for Tampa. Any idiot could see that.

Now, MAYBE it's all directly due to Giselle's mystical crystal stone altar and Tommy will win ten straight Super Bowls until football gets boring and he decides to leave his human form behind to become a spiritual being comprised of shimmering white light but, it's way more likely that shit will go sideways for him and the Bucs in 2021.

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
FWIW, PFF and some others have KC as the SB favorites this year.

chevss454

Reaction score
This is a ridiculously bad take Chevs. Lol.
Bill wanted Brady back for 2020 so his tude could not have bothered him that much.

Correction.
BB expected Kraft would bring TB12 back for 2020 but BB was already well beyond moving on.
And after Antonio Brown's signing backfired on Kraft by biting him in the ass, after witnessing the bad attitude on the field, Kraft finally understood BB's thinking.
This time RKK wouldn't argue on TB12's behalf; RKK wouldn't bring him back.

Remember that series of 1 year contracts...BB saw it coming & did what he could to protect the team.
IF, as you say, BB wanted him back, BB would have offered a 2-3 year deal. That's all TB12 wanted.
This time RKK chose not to interfere.

Dumbass take by you that BB wanted TB12 back. Face facts, Mazz.

Last edited:

rivshark86

Reaction score
I’ll agree that BB wanted Tom gone, and probably years before it happened. Which speaks even more to his total arrogance. He thinks he can turn anyone into Brady. Plus after 20 years in the league Brady probably had some ideas of how he wanted things done and I doubt BB wanted any of it.
I’m on repeat because this is the same conversation we’ve all been having for a year and a half. I’d been trying to bite my tongue but reading these past few pages makes me sick to my stomach.
I do not for the life of me understand all of the unquestioning adoration for Bill Belichick on this board. Then though I read the optimism for this season, and I realize that a lot of y’all really believe the Patriots as constituted can win a playoff game. They can’t. A lot of y’all think this team can compete in the division. They can’t. I’m starting to think that a lot of y’all see and saw Brady as a system QB. He’s not.
I’m not trying to knock Mac Jones, but his ceiling if he reaches it is probably average. I’d trade him for Ryan Tannehill everyday of the week given the opportunity. Heck I’d trade him for almost any other QB in the division.
I’m not being negative for the sake of being negative and hating. This is my attitude after watching Bill systematically destroy this team. Plug in any QB other than Brady on those past three Super Bowl teams and they wouldn’t have had any shot. I doubt they’d gotten past the first round in the playoffs. That team that lost to the giants the second time had no business being anywhere near a super bowl. There was no genius in building those teams. Please go back and read the list of guys drafted since 08.
It’s like this board prefers watching losing football. I don’t get it.
Call me negative or a Tampa fan, whatever............ the truth is that that I don’t believe in BB, and I don’t see a team that’s close to being anything more than a tough out. That’s why I’m negative.
And no I don’t think paying top dollar for two tight ends who were deemed replaceable by their own teams will help. I do like the defensive additions, but the NFL is QB driven and you have to be able to score more than 18 points a game to win.

Last edited:

rivshark86

Reaction score
The greatest Tight End ever literally retired rather than continue to play for Belichick.

It’s not just Brady.

OP
Mazz22

Mazz22

Age 43 and STILL playing like a champ
Reaction score
Now, MAYBE it's all directly due to Giselle's mystical crystal stone altar and Tommy will win ten straight Super Bowls until football gets boring and he decides to leave his human form behind to become a spiritual being comprised of shimmering white light but, it's way more likely that shit will go sideways for him and the Bucs in 2021.
What makes you think he's not already a spiritual being? LOL.

Even though I disagree with most of your points, I have to say it was a joy to read. Have you ever considered the media/comms business like your brother? I mean your virtuoso posts shouldn't be wasted solely on vermin like us on PP.

1623150603959.png

Last edited:
OP
Mazz22

Mazz22

Reaction score
Correction.
BB expected Kraft would bring TB12 back for 2020 but BB was already well beyond moving on.
And after Antonio Brown's signing backfired on Kraft by biting him in the ass, after witnessing the bad attitude on the field, Kraft finally understood BB's thinking.
This time RKK wouldn't argue on TB12's behalf; RKK wouldn't bring him back.

Remember that series of 1 year contracts...BB saw it coming & did what he could to protect the team.
IF, as you say, BB wanted him back, BB would have offered a 2-3 year deal. That's all TB12 wanted.
This time RKK chose not to interfere.

Dumbass take by you that BB wanted TB12 back. Face facts, Mazz.
And you can continue to double down on the worst take ever.

RoadGrader

Pervertas Emeritus
Reaction score
[...]
I’m on repeat because this is the same conversation we’ve all been having for a year and a half. I’d been trying to bite my tongue but reading these past few pages makes me sick to my stomach.

I do not for the life of me understand all of the unquestioning adoration for Bill Belichick on this board.

I’m not being negative for the sake of being negative and hating. This is my attitude after watching Bill systematically destroy this team.

Call me negative or a Tampa fan, whatever............ the truth is that that I don’t believe in BB, and I don’t see a team that’s close to being anything more than a tough out. That’s why I’m negative.
Dear rivvie

Love something -- yourself, your work, your food, your friends, even BB -- deeply every day.
Decide to love BB. It will change your life, ye teenie idgit

Untitled.jpg

chevss454

Reaction score
And you can continue to double down on the worst take ever.

A little shocked (maybe - at least for the media) that Kraft couldn't/didn't sway him but not at all disappointed. ;) :coffee:
Again, if BB wanted to keep TB12 he could have offered that 2-3 yr contract TB12 sought. He didn't.
Wise up girl.

Roberto71

Reaction score
I’ll agree that BB wanted Tom gone, and probably years before it happened. Which speaks even more to his total arrogance. He thinks he can turn anyone into Brady. Plus after 20 years in the league Brady probably had some ideas of how he wanted things done and I doubt BB wanted any of it.
I do not for the life of me understand all of the unquestioning adoration for Bill Belichick on this board. Then though I read the optimism for this season, and I realize that a lot of y’all really believe the Patriots as constituted can win a playoff game. They can’t. A lot of y’all think this team can compete in the division. They can’t. I’m starting to think that a lot of y’all see and saw Brady as a system QB. He’s not.
I’m not trying to knock Mac Jones, but his ceiling if he reaches it is probably average. I’d trade him for Ryan Tannehill everyday of the week given the opportunity. Heck I’d trade him for almost any other QB in the division.
I’m not being negative for the sake of being negative and hating. This is my attitude after watching Bill systematically destroy this team. Plug in any QB other than Brady on those past three Super Bowl teams and they wouldn’t have had any shot. I doubt they’d gotten past the first round in the playoffs. That team that lost to the giants the second time had no business being anywhere near a super bowl. There was no genius in building those teams. Please go back and read the list of guys drafted since 08.
It’s like this board prefers watching losing football. I don’t get it.
And no I don’t think paying top dollar for two tight ends who were deemed replaceable by their own teams will help. I do like the defensive additions, but the NFL is QB driven and you have to be able to score more than 18 points a game to win.
Just PFO Rivshark. Let me guess, without knowing the future, you can lay claim Brady was in a better position as a future QB when he was taken at spot 199 in the draft back in 2000? You could see at that stage that he would become the GOAT? You should be in a football, front office, boy!

And Mac Jones, taken in the 1st round, who has not taken a snap in the NFL, has a ceiling that you've now pre-defined before a single play of regular season football?

Bill drafted Brady when nobody else rated nor wanted him. Brady was lucky to come into a side that Bill had built around a stellar defense and Brady was able to ride that train to the first 3 superbowls. You think he does that anywhere else??

king of kings

All Hail
Reaction score
Mazz why can't you just accept the fact. Brady made a bussiness decision . That worked out great for him. Instead of trashing BB at every opportunity.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
Just PFO Rivshark. Let me guess, without knowing the future, you can lay claim Brady was in a better position as a future QB when he was taken at spot 199 in the draft back in 2000? You could see at that stage that he would become the GOAT? You should be in a football, front office, boy!

And Mac Jones, taken in the 1st round, who has not taken a snap in the NFL, has a ceiling that you've now pre-defined before a single play of regular season football?

Bill drafted Brady when nobody else rated nor wanted him. Brady was lucky to come into a side that Bill had built around a stellar defense and Brady was able to ride that train to the first 3 superbowls. You think he does that anywhere else??
Well, not sure on some of that. Bill Drafted Brady because Dick Rehbin put it in his head. He was very high on Brady. Teams were not high on Brady because as always they look at 40 times for QB's and not how they were with team mates or how they controlled the huddle, or how clutch they were, if they did, Brady would have been higher due to his time at Michigan where he was 20-5 as a starter and had the admiration of his team mates. But besides all that Bill thought he was going to get fired because of the first season there and the start of 2001, and then Bledsoe got hurt, Brady came in and the team started winning. So as much as you do not want to give Brady any credit for the turnaround, Bill disagrees with you. He did not just jump on a superbowl team for the ride as you put it. Its great to give Bill credit, he was the coach the team needed for sure, but there was a reason Bill despite the easy road out of putting a pro bowl QB back in who was making 100 mil, Belichick thought enough of Brady and his play that he took a huge chance of not doing that. Not something a coach who was thinking he was going to get fired earlier that year would do unless he knew better.
Where a player is drafted is the most meaningless thing ever to how they will be in the NFL. There is no exact science and some of the smartest people in football get it wrong. It was like Mariucci said. Sometimes you do everything right, you do everything you have been taught as a coach, and it turns out dead wrong. Sometimes a player gets on that field and they get hit, and you can see the life just leave their face, others jump up and it fires them up to keep going. He said that on his decision to not pick Brady in the draft and go with the other QB. Bill said in the same video, after the preseason game, we knew we had made the better decision, but just like the greatest play call ever does not work unless a player executes it, nothing is a good decision unless the player actually works.

So yeah, I do think Brady would have been great wherever he went, because before 2001, NE would have been one of those teams where you say, yeah but if he went to this team, he would suck. Brady was as much about this turnaround as anything, I say that because Bill said that. He helped incorporate the turnaround, he helped build it. I say that also because thats what Bill said. The problem is fans tend to take it to the extremes both ways. Its either all Bill and brady was lucky he was along for the ride, or it was all Brady and he saved Bills coaching career, and frankly both are bad takes and incorrect. So yes Brady was helped greatly by having a great coach, and Bill was helped greatly by having a great player that was willing to do things few others would do and being coachable and able to give input that helped the offense greatly so Bill could spend more time on his strength which was the defense. It was good from both sides, and regardless if you believe it or not. Bill did not just hatch a plan to let Brady slide through 6 rounds and he knew what Brady was, he didnt. Brady had to prove that. If it were just Bill who could turn anyone into the best QB ever, he would have done that a long time ago with several other qb's and Brady would have been gone when his first contract came up. If Bill can replace you with cheaper, he will, Brady was on this team for 19 years because Bill was never able to replace him. So I get you responding back because of what is being said, but going to extreme the other way is no better.

Roberto71

Reaction score
Well, not sure on some of that. Bill Drafted Brady because Dick Rehbin put it in his head. He was very high on Brady. Teams were not high on Brady because as always they look at 40 times for QB's and not how they were with team mates or how they controlled the huddle, or how clutch they were, if they did, Brady would have been higher due to his time at Michigan where he was 20-5 as a starter and had the admiration of his team mates. But besides all that Bill thought he was going to get fired because of the first season there and the start of 2001, and then Bledsoe got hurt, Brady came in and the team started winning. So as much as you do not want to give Brady any credit for the turnaround, Bill disagrees with you. He did not just jump on a superbowl team for the ride as you put it. Its great to give Bill credit, he was the coach the team needed for sure, but there was a reason Bill despite the easy road out of putting a pro bowl QB back in who was making 100 mil, Belichick thought enough of Brady and his play that he took a huge chance of not doing that. Not something a coach who was thinking he was going to get fired earlier that year would do unless he knew better.
Where a player is drafted is the most meaningless thing ever to how they will be in the NFL. There is no exact science and some of the smartest people in football get it wrong. It was like Mariucci said. Sometimes you do everything right, you do everything you have been taught as a coach, and it turns out dead wrong. Sometimes a player gets on that field and they get hit, and you can see the life just leave their face, others jump up and it fires them up to keep going. He said that on his decision to not pick Brady in the draft and go with the other QB. Bill said in the same video, after the preseason game, we knew we had made the better decision, but just like the greatest play call ever does not work unless a player executes it, nothing is a good decision unless the player actually works.

So yeah, I do think Brady would have been great wherever he went, because before 2001, NE would have been one of those teams where you say, yeah but if he went to this team, he would suck. Brady was as much about this turnaround as anything, I say that because Bill said that. He helped incorporate the turnaround, he helped build it. I say that also because thats what Bill said. The problem is fans tend to take it to the extremes both ways. Its either all Bill and brady was lucky he was along for the ride, or it was all Brady and he saved Bills coaching career, and frankly both are bad takes and incorrect. So yes Brady was helped greatly by having a great coach, and Bill was helped greatly by having a great player that was willing to do things few others would do and being coachable and able to give input that helped the offense greatly so Bill could spend more time on his strength which was the defense. It was good from both sides, and regardless if you believe it or not. Bill did not just hatch a plan to let Brady slide through 6 rounds and he knew what Brady was, he didnt. Brady had to prove that. If it were just Bill who could turn anyone into the best QB ever, he would have done that a long time ago with several other qb's and Brady would have been gone when his first contract came up. If Bill can replace you with cheaper, he will, Brady was on this team for 19 years because Bill was never able to replace him. So I get you responding back because of what is being said, but going to extreme the other way is no better.
That's revisionist thinking. The fact is, no other team wanted Brady and the Patriots chose him at 199 in the draft. That's a fact. Any thinking that he would have succeeded elsewhere is just conjecture and it's hard to see how it would have happened because as said, no other team wanted him.

And most fans do not take it to extremes. The balanced view is that the Patriots had a league leasing defense at the start of Bill's tenure and Tom and the offense benefitted from that along with one of the best kickers of all time who was critical in those early superbowls. Then in the last 3 SB wins, it was Tom and the offense that led the way and were in the vanguard of those SB wins. The SB losses in between were about the piss poor defenses.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
Mazz why can't you just accept the fact. Brady made a bussiness decision . That worked out great for him. Instead of trashing BB at every opportunity.
I love Mazz, but I agree with this. I am not going to get into why Brady left, because I really dont know. Some said he was tired of Bill's ways after almost 20 years, some said Bill wanted him gone. Neither really show up as that. I think in my opinion and only my opinion is. Brady wanted to keep playing, but he wanted to keep playing at a high level. The Patriots were coming up on a major rebuild, and at 43, Brady is not really at a stage where he wants to do a rebuild. Bill wrong or right didnt want to commit a ton of years to a QB who is 43 years old. No matter how much Brady has made people silly by saying he is done, at some point it has to happen where he cannot go anymore. Now from what I have seen and the reactions I have heard from people involved, Bill probably would have been fine going year to year with Brady, but Brady wanted a bit more security and wanted to go to a young team on the rise where he could offer what he does to help them get over the top. That is probably why Bill didnt have all these safeguards in place for his replacement and had to go grab Cam at the last minute, he probably thought Brady would still be here, but I am sure he understood when Brady decided to move on as they all 3 talked before he did. They both had amazing things to say to each other, and then it was over. Since then its been a constant war, but in the media and with fans and it shouldnt be.

OP
Mazz22

Mazz22

Reaction score
Because two things can be true. Brady did make a decision to leave and it was a fantastic decision as he went to a team that had a great roster and coaches and won the chip in year one. It is also true that Bill wanted him back on another one year crap deal and Brady told him no thanks I got a better offer on a much better team.

Roberto71

Reaction score
Why don't we all just agree, Tom left because he really wanted to, he wanted to experience something new on a new team with a better roster on offense and he was RIGHT to do so at this stage in his career. No tantrums or bad feeling. And it can also be right that it suited the Patriots that he left as well. He would win nothing with the terrible offense last season and sooner or later the Patriots were going to have to rebuild.

No harm done, no war of words or bitching to the press from either side.

Now just drop it and let's move on to the Patriots 2021 season.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
That's revisionist thinking. The fact is, no other team wanted Brady and the Patriots chose him at 199 in the draft. That's a fact. Any thinking that he would have succeeded elsewhere is just conjecture and it's hard to see how it would have happened because as said, no other team wanted him.

And most fans do not take it to extremes. The balanced view is that the Patriots had a league leasing defense at the start of Bill's tenure and Tom and the offense benefitted from that along with one of the best kickers of all time who was critical in those early superbowls. Then in the last 3 SB wins, it was Tom and the offense that led the way and were in the vanguard of those SB wins. The SB losses in between were about the piss poor defenses.
No, its really not. There are hall of famer players that were drafted low, and players that didnt last a year who were drafted high, so to use that as a jumping off point is not a reality to anything. I mean go read Bill's book. Brady came on this team as a Qb that really had no shot. he was 4th on the depth chart and they had a starter. In a year he worked his way over all the others, and when Bledsoe went down, he was the one that came in and he was the one Bill stuck with. If it was just Bill waving a wand, he could have done that with any young QB.

As far as the defense "carrying them" to 3 superbowls. I guess you missed the superbowl vs carolina. There have been 5 superbowls won in the 50+ year history of the NFL while giving up that many points, the pats are one of them. Brady was magic in that game, go back and watch it sometime. As far as kicker, I am almost sure that no kick would have been made from where they started on the kick off, adam does not have that strong of a leg. So you giving a kicker more credit than the player who touched the ball 60 times in a game is absurd. As I said people are extreme both ways.

king of kings

All Hail
Reaction score
Because two things can be true. Brady did make a decision to leave and it was a fantastic decision as he went to a team that had a great roster and coaches and won the chip in year one. It is also true that Bill wanted him back on another one year crap deal and Brady told him no thanks I got a better offer on a much better team.
Maybe it time to find another team. If you hold this much hatred for HC. You don't want to be put in same troll category as other 2.