Tom Brady/Tampa Off-season thread

OP
Mazz22

Mazz22

Age 43 and STILL playing like a champ
Reaction score
Did they ever say what was wrong with his knee? I heard his OC say it bothered him all year, which is pretty impressive with how he played.
His ACL surgery was 13 years ago so I would imagine he kind of needed to get things tuned up to keep the stability. I have a friend who works in that field of ligament repair and he said it is typical after 10 years to have to get things stabilized again. It sounds like he was in a lot of pain last year dealing with it and having to treat it every day. Pretty amazing to think as to me he looked really spry in the pocket all year and threw the ball with authority which happens when you have good legs underneath you. I am sure Alex was working/treating him non-stop. Lots of avocado smoothies. LOL

Roberto71

Reaction score
Did they ever say what was wrong with his knee? I heard his OC say it bothered him all year, which is pretty impressive with how he played.
I believe Alex Guerrero sprinkled some fairy dust on it courtesy of Tinkerbell and it magically healed! Huzzah!

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
The pic below is an example of a Scotoma. Look at it and what do you see? The young girl or the old hag? Many people will only see one or the other. My
point is that they are both there even if we don't believe it at first.

View attachment 4336
That is f'n cool.

I hadn't seen this one and reading the subsequent posts it was easier to know what I was looking at. Now I can see both at will. Excellent stuff.

But great comparison on confirmation bias. We all have it.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
His ACL surgery was 13 years ago so I would imagine he kind of needed to get things tuned up to keep the stability. I have a friend who works in that field of ligament repair and he said it is typical after 10 years to have to get things stabilized again. It sounds like he was in a lot of pain last year dealing with it and having to treat it every day. Pretty amazing to think as to me he looked really spry in the pocket all year and threw the ball with authority which happens when you have good legs underneath you. I am sure Alex was working/treating him non-stop. Lots of avocado smoothies. LOL
Yeah I figured he was due some cleanup, but I just figured that would have happened already. I had MCl surgery and had to get some things filed down about 3 years later because it was killing me.

OP
Mazz22

Mazz22

Reaction score
Yeah I figured he was due some cleanup, but I just figured that would have happened already. I had MCl surgery and had to get some things filed down about 3 years later because it was killing me.
He probably got a longer out of it because of his work with Alex and his overall training/diet.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
A youtube guy does a lot of video's on the NFL a story came up where he talked about Brady going to Tampa and how it was not looked at as a great fit and most people who had
inside info on Tampa and that offense thought he would have a lot of struggles there, because of how different and vast their playbook is. A interview came up before Tom got to Tampa before they thought it was more than a rumor, and Carson Palmer who was a Qb under arians talked about why he thought Winston would be better in 2021 because he had played under the offense for a year so he should be better now and how hard it was to learn that offense and that nobody would be able to come in and do that, etc etc. Here is that interview and story.

OP
Mazz22

Mazz22

Reaction score
That was a really great interview from Palmer. Thanks for posting. It is so interesting hearing him break down the complexity of Arians system and how difficult it is for QBs to pick it up in year one. Take a look at the graphic below that breaks down Brady's stats last year compared to other QBs that played for Arians in year one. Brady's TDs to pick ratio is by far the best as well as his adjusted completion percentage.

I LOL'd when Palmer said Arians is not a guy that is going to run a 14 or 15 play drive with a ton of runs and then go play action. He is going to try to go 85 yards in 3 plays. It was almost like he was specifically calling out Bill's offense that Brady was running to make it seem like how impossible it was going to be for Brady to pick it up. Not only did he pick it up, he had one of the best statistical seasons of his career with no off-season. And that is the other thing. Palmer talks about how one off-season and a full 16 game season is not enough to pick it up yet by week 12 Brady had it mastered coming out of the bye. His stats from week 13 right through the playoffs are scorching. In the playoffs alone he threw 10 TDs to 3 picks and could have had more TDs it Tampa did not take its foot off the gas in the SB mid-way through the 3rd quarter.

It truly is amazing that people keep doubting. I remember Montana saying how hard it would be for Brady to learn a new system and team after 20 years in NE and that he would struggle immensely. LOL. Yeah he struggled alright ... all the way to another Lombardi. LOL

View: https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/1346109015105941509

OP
Mazz22

Mazz22

Reaction score
This is a fascinating thread on the GB forum asking if fans believe Rodgers can play as long as Brady. Notice how often the fans of GB refer to Brady as the GOAT. That is what winning in Tampa did for him in terms of rival fan bases giving him the respect.

This was my favorite post:
Both guys are headcases whose drafting motivated them to become MVP-tier QBs. I think Rodgers got the better backup tutelage under (pre-risk averse) Mike McCarthy and had better WR talent overall than Brady, who had the Curmudgeon and a bunch of twitchy try-hards (and Randy Moss).

The difference for the sake of this question is that Brady is the High Priest and True Believer of the TB12 Cult and has lived his whole pro career to be marketable and in top physical and mental shape. He helps install the offense; he recruits potential teammates (character Red Flags to come to TB for cheap); and he tries to sell them on his physical regimen. Brady skipped Tampa Bay's OTAs to lead his own while Rodgers saw the wonders of Hawai'i.

I'm not saying that Aaron Rodgers doesn't work out on his own in the offseason or cram harder than most starting QBs between training camp and the last game of the season. I think he's a better natural athlete than Brady and probably a better quarterback. But his degree of all-in isn't the same as Tom Brady and whatever it takes to achieve his Unnatural Cranium.

I think that whatever motivates A-Rod, he will either be satisfied with or resigned with football before he reaches Tom Brady's career performance.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
This is a fascinating thread on the GB forum asking if fans believe Rodgers can play as long as Brady. Notice how often the fans of GB refer to Brady as the GOAT. That is what winning in Tampa did for him in terms of rival fan bases giving him the respect.

Both guys are headcases whose drafting motivated them to become MVP-tier QBs. I think Rodgers got the better backup tutelage under (pre-risk averse) Mike McCarthy and had better WR talent overall than Brady, who had the Curmudgeon and a bunch of twitchy try-hards (and Randy Moss).

The difference for the sake of this question is that Brady is the High Priest and True Believer of the TB12 Cult and has lived his whole pro career to be marketable and in top physical and mental shape. He helps install the offense; he recruits potential teammates (character Red Flags to come to TB for cheap); and he tries to sell them on his physical regimen. Brady skipped Tampa Bay's OTAs to lead his own while Rodgers saw the wonders of Hawai'i.

I'm not saying that Aaron Rodgers doesn't work out on his own in the offseason or cram harder than most starting QBs between training camp and the last game of the season. I think he's a better natural athlete than Brady and probably a better quarterback. But his degree of all-in isn't the same as Tom Brady and whatever it takes to achieve his Unnatural Cranium.

I think that whatever motivates A-Rod, he will either be satisfied with or resigned with football before he reaches Tom Brady's career performance.

Wow, I was more interested in the split in the fan base over Rodgers and what he is doing which the thread kind of turned into. I cannot see Rodgers playing as long as Brady so I agree with most of their board. Its not really anything on Rodgers because frankly I cannot see any QB playing that long. Some of that is becuase of a build up of injuries, some is Brady is freaking insane which they talked about. I have never seen a player that driven for so many years, it just does not happen. Brady has had his share of injuries over the years and it does not really seem to effect him like it does others. I liken it to a player in Baseball that always wow'd me with what they did for longevity which was Nolan Ryan. With pitchers today who can barely get through 6 innings and usually have Tommy John surgery or a shot arm by the time they are 35, Ryan who is a fastball pitcher played 27 years, most pitchers who even got close to that were usually knuckle ball guys, Ryan was a fastball pitcher. Its just so unheard of, you will never see it again. Most QB's that played for many years, spent their last few years on the bench on some team not doing much. Brady in his late years is playing at a top level. So that is the guy that comes to mind, its just not something that happens. Rodgers to me at least wants to win, but I think
he is not win or death like some others are. I think he gets content very easy, and he never really got that getting rid of the ball faster is better for you and your longevity. Rodgers also sat the bench for his first 3 years, so he would have to play to almost 50 to get the actual playing years in that Brady has.

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score

The guy nailed Brady, for sure.

OP
Mazz22

Mazz22

Reaction score
There was a lot ISP50 about the split in that thread. You can feel the angst of the fanbase over what has happened. It seems most of them think Rodgers is not coming back but there are a couple who are convinced he will be back. Fandom can be so hard sometimes.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
There was a lot ISP50 about the split in that thread. You can feel the angst of the fanbase over what has happened. It seems most of them think Rodgers is not coming back but there are a couple who are convinced he will be back. Fandom can be so hard sometimes.
Yeah, and some were pretty mad, and I think that is where some of the posts about what Brady would do that Rodgers would not do is coming out. Some seemed very angry and what Rodgers did.