Tom Brady/Tampa Off-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
snipped for length, but read the post: Tom Brady/Tampa Off-season thread

I think you underestimate how much is not junk. The nutritional advice? Well, the whole alkaline vs acidic thing doesn't really matter other than for your teeth, which appreciate foods which are more neutral rather than strong in either direction (and there are fewer strong alkalines than strong acids out there which are consumed fwiw). However, it's not just that. Let's call it 'extreme moderation' on alcohol, plus red meat, and refined sugar. Add in tons of vegetables, fruits and nuts rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Compare that to Rodgers' 1 or 2 fingers of bourbon a night, cigars on the regular, and burgers on demand. Which do you think is healthier, and which do you think promotes a longer playing career at a higher level of play?

The sleep system? Going to bed 7 1/2 hrs before you intend to wake up, on a firm schedule, with no electronics or distractions at least 30 minutes before you sleep, while wearing anything or nothing, is going to be superior to someone like Gronk hanging out in clubs partying all night. The supplements? Electrolytes, protein powder, vitamins, minerals, you name it, are all widely recognized for their benefits. Sure, they also are totally generic and wildly overpriced, but much like purses or shoes, them being $250 instead of $25 for the same exact thing because of the name on them doesn't make them Bad, just overpriced. Brain training apps? Hey we can all use more mental exercise. Will it stave off alzheimers? Possibly. "Neurologists report that mental exercise can reduce your chance of developing Alzheimer’s disease by up to 70%." Physical Exercise and Brain Aerobics - Mental Gymnastics for Your Brain CTE? Doubtful. But it sure isn't quackery.

Note, I'm not saying folks should shell money out to TB12. Most of the stuff on there is wildly overpriced, in many cases it's wildly unnecessary, and some of it (like the pajamas themselves) is just outright garbage. I'm just saying, folks could do a lot worse, and regardless of how unnecessary some of the stuff is, I don't think it's fair or appropriate to categorize it as snake oil or junk, because that might lead folks to think that either a) none of it matters (which couldn't be more wrong), or that b) they should avoid the stuff being recommended (which somehow, is actually more wrong).

If I were giving health and wellness advice, I'd say get your electrolytes (if and only if you're exercising), eat your lean meats, nuts, fruits, and lots of vegetables (regardless of their acidity level, just also brush your teeth), avoid your sugars and alcohols and red meats, exercise regularly, being smart in how you're working your muscles (even if you're not using a massage ball before and after), exercise your brain (for free, ideally, not off an overpriced app), get a healthy amount of regular sleep and avoid electronic distractions at bedtime (regardless of what pajamas you are or are not sleeping in), do the things he's promoting, just, you know, without shoveling out wild amounts of cash for things you can get for free. And most of all, do your research, don't take a celebrity's advice or any "gurus" advice, and certainly don't take mine. Just check the scientific research and studies, and know that though no course of action can guarantee positive health outcomes, you can improve your odds.

Anyway I'm off my soapbox, I've never purchased a TB12 product nor would I recommend one, just don't want folks to throw the baby out with the bath water as it were.

I think you underestimate how much is not junk. The nutritional advice? Well, the whole alkaline vs acidic thing doesn't really matter other than for your teeth, which appreciate foods which are more neutral rather than strong in either direction (and there are fewer strong alkalines than strong acids out there which are consumed fwiw). However, it's not just that. Let's call it 'extreme moderation' on alcohol, plus red meat, and refined sugar. Add in tons of vegetables, fruits and nuts rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Compare that to Rodgers' 1 or 2 fingers of bourbon a night, cigars on the regular, and burgers on demand. Which do you think is healthier, and which do you think promotes a longer playing career at a higher level of play?

The sleep system? Going to bed 7 1/2 hrs before you intend to wake up, on a firm schedule, with no electronics or distractions at least 30 minutes before you sleep, while wearing anything or nothing, is going to be superior to someone like Gronk hanging out in clubs partying all night. The supplements? Electrolytes, protein powder, vitamins, minerals, you name it, are all widely recognized for their benefits. Sure, they also are totally generic and wildly overpriced, but much like purses or shoes, them being $250 instead of $25 for the same exact thing because of the name on them doesn't make them Bad, just overpriced. Brain training apps? Hey we can all use more mental exercise. Will it stave off alzheimers? Possibly. "Neurologists report that mental exercise can reduce your chance of developing Alzheimer’s disease by up to 70%." Physical Exercise and Brain Aerobics - Mental Gymnastics for Your Brain CTE? Doubtful. But it sure isn't quackery.

Note, I'm not saying folks should shell money out to TB12. Most of the stuff on there is wildly overpriced, in many cases it's wildly unnecessary, and some of it (like the pajamas themselves) is just outright garbage. I'm just saying, folks could do a lot worse, and regardless of how unnecessary some of the stuff is, I don't think it's fair or appropriate to categorize it as snake oil or junk, because that might lead folks to think that either a) none of it matters (which couldn't be more wrong), or that b) they should avoid the stuff being recommended (which somehow, is actually more wrong).

If I were giving health and wellness advice, I'd say get your electrolytes (if and only if you're exercising), eat your lean meats, nuts, fruits, and lots of vegetables (regardless of their acidity level, just also brush your teeth), avoid your sugars and alcohols and red meats, exercise regularly, being smart in how you're working your muscles (even if you're not using a massage ball before and after), exercise your brain (for free, ideally, not off an overpriced app), get a healthy amount of regular sleep and avoid electronic distractions at bedtime (regardless of what pajamas you are or are not sleeping in), do the things he's promoting, just, you know, without shoveling out wild amounts of cash for things you can get for free. And most of all, do your research, don't take a celebrity's advice or any "gurus" advice, and certainly don't take mine. Just check the scientific research and studies, and know that though no course of action can guarantee positive health outcomes, you can improve your odds.

Anyway I'm off my soapbox, I've never purchased a TB12 product nor would I recommend one, just don't want folks to throw the baby out with the bath water as it were.

You've just made the point. Shelling out your hard-earned cash on these products is nonsensical. You've just summed up the "method" in a few paragraphs and it's not rocket science. Italian soccer players were big on nutrition, lifestyle etc (the Italian football diet) back in the early 80s which is why soccer stars like Paolo Maldini, Allesandro Costacurta etc were able to play professionally until they were 41.

Iow, common sense over concussion water and 'special' electrolytes. That was my point.

If you think it's so great. Can't stop praising it. Why don't you sign up for it. Order his meal plan & workouts . Don't forget the Brady endorsed bed , sheets & pajamas. That way you can live his lifestyle . Minus all the money & Fame.
Why so much anger? I was not praising TB12 per set but the holistic approach to health, wellness and fitness. I have suffered from chronic pain for over 2 decades. By going holistic, I saved myself an addiction to pain meds and several surgeries. Not to mention a much better mental state which dovetails to a place of spiritual solace so I can invest in others.

Really great post. I didn't have the time this morning to type out a more detailed response about the holistic approach but this is spot on. Thanks for taking the time to type it out. Saved me the finger exhaustion from typing. LOL

What anger. You been no stop praising Alex for his work with a Brady. You have the option to sign up for TB 12 meals & workout that Brady's uses.
I have already been doing a lot of what Alex has been propagating for years. That is what I am saying. I have been doing a majority of what he says for over 2 decades. I have thought about signing up for the meals but I shop judiciously for my own food and prepare it myself. I may sign up at some point just for convenience.

I have a buddy. That after his last knee surgery wanted to get in better shape. He went big into the crossfit life style. Lost a lot of weight now in the best shape of his life. If you believe Alex is doing wonders for Brady . It might be able to help you too. That's what Brady & Alex is selling everyone with his TB12 brand.
Getting fit, eating right, losing weight, dropping bad habits (drinking, smoking, etc), those are foundational to good health. Alex focus is obviously on sports training for football which is why the diet is extreme to cut out inflammation and other outcomes that will inhibit optimal performance. The pliability is also sports based for longer, more supple muscles to help with endurance and protect against injury.

For me, the holistic practices I do is for my overall health related both to muscle injuries, joint conditions and hormonal changes (I am 47) so again, a lot of what he talks about is good for anyone's overall lifestyle but then there are parts geared for athletes.

I am a sponge when it comes to best practices because I truly believe in them as they have transformed my life. I think for much of the population the approaches can seem foreign or really out there and that is fine. That is why there is a big educational piece to TB12 and other organizations like it that promote health and training holistically.

50 may be on the table for Brady but even he says it is a stretch. LOL

You really should read and comprehend before you type a long pointless reply and nothing you say pertains to the comment you quoted.

Plus, it's obvious you did not Google "cognitive dissonance."

This was a great thread a few years ago. Worked wonders for me. Then I got lazy, and now just found out my A1C is wicked high and I'm knocking on the diabetes door. So I'm back on a regimen of Intermittent fasting and a ketogenic diet. But there's lots of good things in the thread, many different process and ways of looking at overall health (as opposed to the 'we got a pill for that') philosphy of many doctors....call me cynical but mostly old, out-of-shape, white, male doctors. You pays your money and you takes your choice....

Getting fit, eating right, losing weight, dropping bad habits (drinking, smoking, etc), those are foundational to good health. Alex focus is obviously on sports training for football which is why the diet is extreme to cut out inflammation and other outcomes that will inhibit optimal performance. The pliability is also sports based for longer, more supple muscles to help with endurance and protect against injury.

For me, the holistic practices I do is for my overall health related both to muscle injuries, joint conditions and hormonal changes (I am 47) so again, a lot of what he talks about is good for anyone's overall lifestyle but then there are parts geared for athletes.

I am a sponge when it comes to best practices because I truly believe in them as they have transformed my life. I think for much of the population the approaches can seem foreign or really out there and that is fine. That is why there is a big educational piece to TB12 and other organizations like it that promote health and training holistically.

This was a great thread a few years ago. Worked wonders for me. Then I got lazy, and now just found out my A1C is wicked high and I'm knocking on the diabetes door. So I'm back on a regimen of Intermittent fasting and a ketogenic diet. But there's lots of good things in the thread, many different process and ways of looking at overall health (as opposed to the 'we got a pill for that') philosphy of many doctors....call me cynical but mostly old, out-of-shape, white, male doctors. You pays your money and you takes your choice....

Ketosis, LCHF, Paleo, Atkins, Mediterranean, etc...

Inspired by the discussions about Brady's health regimen, but this is really a much broader topic, and it seems there are a lot of people here knowledgeable about these topics. I'll post my full personal story about this at some point, but in summary, by permanently changing my diet (but not...
www.patriotsplanet.net
www.patriotsplanet.net

Quote Reply
Report Edit Delete

Odd, because you reply to every one. But then I guess that explains why your replies bitch about things I never said.

Ketosis, LCHF, Paleo, Atkins, Mediterranean, etc...

Inspired by the discussions about Brady's health regimen, but this is really a much broader topic, and it seems there are a lot of people here knowledgeable about these topics. I'll post my full personal story about this at some point, but in summary, by permanently changing my diet (but not...
www.patriotsplanet.net
www.patriotsplanet.net

Quote Reply
Report Edit Delete
I’d throw some paleo in there just saying...... my daughters strictly paleo I’m a combination of keto and paleo but she has serious autoimmune issues....

~Dee~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back