Tom Brady/Tampa Off-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
R1 (32) TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS: EDGE JOE TRYON, WASHINGTON

Pick Grade: Poor

He boasts ideal size, length and explosiveness and features a menacing bull rush. We just didn’t see those dominant reps on a consistent basis, and that bull rush was about all he had to his name. He posted a middling 71.9 pass-rush grade in 2019 (opted out in 2020), and nearly half of his 41 pressures that year were unblocked or clean-ups. He’s a work in progress, but the reigning Super Bowl champions can afford to take a chance on him.

The pick was given an A here. The Bucs are drafting purely based on luxury as they are stacked at every position with a ton of depth. They took a pass rusher because JPP is getting up there in age as well as Suh and Gholston so this guy will give them a break for a few series a game. That is the type of position they are in where they can draft in the first round for a specific skill set to help their stars. That is what happens when you have been hitting the draft out of the park since 2015 and then you land the GOAT in FA.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Grade A

Analysis: Power is an undervalued pass rush commodity, and Tryon brings plenty of it. He has the strength, size and physical nature to play with his hand on the ground, as well, which means he can spell older Buccaneers Ndamukong Suh and William Gholston in sub packages. Tampa Bay really needed youth on the defensive line, and with Greg Rousseau off the board, Tryon or Carlos Basham were the top guys available. Tryon can rush the passer from a stand-up position, as well, so that versatility gave him the edge over Basham.

Tampa had been scouting him for some time. He is a great fit for Bowles aggressive defense.

Dude. Slow down and read the progression. And maybe phrase differently if you do t want to be misunderstood.

The last thing riv said "He should still be here." You responded and the first thing you said was "people know this."

Most reasonable people would read that as you agreeing with the assertion that he should still be here.

In terms of advance passing stats that weigh efficiency, the 2019 Bucs were middle of the pack. Volume stats really don't mean much when the ball is turned over 30 times. What is amazing in looking at those numbers though, is we all expected Brady to cut the picks way down which he did but he also threw for 40Tds. Most thought he would have less passing TDs than Winston so really Arians systems combined with Brady's tweaks proved to be a fantastic formula for success.

The one stat that determines winning and losing more than any other is turnovers. That was pretty much the story of the 2019 Bucs. They had talent on both sides but none of that matters when you give the ball over that many times. No wonder so many of the defensive players praised Brady so much. He made their job so easy.

he didn't want to stay. and no, the head coach shouldn't have done whatever he wanted to keep him.
the bucs were an efficient qb away from being a contender. they got said qb and won a sb
the end

Tampa had been scouting him for some time. He is a great fit for Bowles aggressive defense.

It’s amazing how much you focus far more on the Bucs than the Patriots. You apparently knew nothing about Mac Jones, but everything about some backup DE.
Speaks volumes.

And Middie, don’t respond in her behalf, please. I have you blocked for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The fact that you’re in the same boat as Midgar and Mazz just makes me that much more certain that the facts back me and not you.

I notice that you didn’t dispute the loaded offense and good defense.

OK, I'm done with this. When your reasoning power returns to earth from somewhere out there in the asteroid fields around Saturn and Jupiter be sure to let me know.

OK, I'm done with this. When your reasoning power returns to earth from somewhere out there in the asteroid fields around Saturn and Jupiter be sure to let me know.

Too bad you didn’t add any facts to this discussion. What “reasoning” did you provide?
It’s virtually universally agreed that Brady went to a loaded team.
Brady was the final piece to a loaded team.

Too bad you didn’t add any facts to this discussion. What “reasoning” did you provide?
It’s virtually universally agreed that Brady went to a loaded team.
Brady was the final piece to a loaded team.

That's revisionist history though. Find me anyone, literally anyone, who has something on record saying the Bucs are "loaded" prior to the announcement Brady was joining them. Search for content from 2019-2020, it doesn't exist. Here is a random fan page evaluating the Combine and the strength of it vs the current roster, March 1st of last year:

Their assessment was that the Bucs had significant needs at offensive tackle, defensive tackle, and QB. That the Bucs needed a better WR3 than Perriman who they should let walk. That Brate was worth trading as a replacement could be found for him in the later rounds. That the jury was out on JPP, but it was better to bring him back this year and maybe look for a replacement next year.

At no point were they saying, the Bucs are just drafting for depth, they're so talented. Here's someone talking about the best options for Tampa at QB Feb 27th:

They weren't saying 'oh we'll have our pick, we're so loaded' or 'obviously Brady will want to come here to play with our incredible WRs and TEs'. They were thinking 'hey Andy Dalton's pretty ok and maybe we can get him' or 'Derek Carr might be realistic'. The only one calling them a sleeping giant was Peter King... in regards to the Tom Brady sweepstakes.

Peter King said this: "The one that I believe is the sleeping giant in this is Tampa Bay. And when I say that, if Jameis Winston is realistic with what his contract demands/requests, whatever they are, in my opinion he will be the quarterback of the Bucs next year" The article said this: "With guys like Brady and Philip Rivers on the open market, it wouldn’t be surprising if the Bucs tried to use them as leverage in their negotiations with Winston".

The idea that Tampa was this loaded team, or that last year Tampa was a QB away from being real contenders, is one which literally did not exist prior to Tom Brady signing for them. The fact that it's "universally agreed" speaks to things which are pretty dark and terrible to me, the idea that consensus can be fabricated by repeating something enough times. "Oh of course Tampa was loaded" everyone says, enough times until it's true. But literally no one was saying it all of last year, so if 'of course' it was true, why did no one express that belief whatsoever prior to Brady signing with them?

Brady wanted out because of ten years of taking team friendly deals only have a coaching staff constantly make bad personal moves, and treat him like a JAG journey man QB instead of the main reason for 3 Super Bowls in four years, and constant AFC championship appearances. Belichick ego is why he’s gone. He thought he made Brady and could replace him.
So yeah your right by the end Tom wanted out. I don’t blame him.
Now we are sitting here trying to get excited about a guy who’s probably the next Andy Dalton. Which is a decent career. The GOAT deserved more respect though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back