Tom Brady/Tampa Off-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tampa won the SB with the Goat.
We went 7-9 with the 27th ranked offense and a Qb that graded out 35th among passers of all starting QBs.
Our number one need was a better bridge Qb while Jones develops. Bill did nothing.

Hopefully Cam will be healthier and get something out of TC this year to be better.

Which available bridge QB would you rather have had?

Hopefully Cam will be healthier and get something out of TC this year to be better.

Which available bridge QB would you rather have had?
First choice was Jimmy. I know the salary was an issue but $25 mil for a starter that Bill groomed for 3.5 years was worth it to me.

Second, Fitzpatrick. He was cheap which Bill likes for a bridge and a leader. I don't think he would have had any issues picking up the offense either. Smart guy and can still play.

I also would have rathered Hoyer be brought back as a coach. I never want him under center again. I think he is a good guy to have coaching but not taking up a roster spot.

First choice was Jimmy. I know the salary was an issue but $25 mil for a starter that Bill groomed for 3.5 years was worth it to me.

Second, Fitzpatrick. He was cheap which Bill likes for a bridge and a leader. I don't think he would have had any issues picking up the offense either. Smart guy and can still play.

I also would have rathered Hoyer be brought back as a coach. I never want him under center again. I think he is a good guy to have coaching but not taking up a roster spot.

Jimmy was discussed and SF decided they didn't want to trade him.

BB/Josh want their QBs to understand the importance of ball security. Fitzpatrick has never understood that during his career; he was never a consideration.

Anyone else?

Jimmy was discussed and SF decided they didn't want to trade him.

BB/Josh want their QBs to understand the importance of ball security. Fitzpatrick has never understood that during his career; he was never a consideration.

Anyone else?
Jimmy could have been had if we picked up his contract. That was always the issue because he had the no trade clause. I heard we offered him $16 mil instead of the $25 and Yee said that was a non starter obviously. Can you confirm that? I forget where I heard it. Someone in Sirius I think.

Cam has terrible ball security. His fumble cost us the Bills game and he threw a ton of picks. How is Fitz considered worse?

Sorry I meant to edit not delete my post. I think your correct . Their is a divide its between Patriots fans & Brady Era fans. This is why I called you a scorned fans. Your holding on to choose hatred for BB. Brady left for TB. Then as I pointed out last year. Competety ignored QB & WR in draft. All they did was sign Newton. They did address QB in this years draft. He wasnt the athletic QB you wanted.
I love the Jones pick. I did want Fields but I am all good with Jones. I loved our entire draft. I have said this repeatedly.
My issue has always been resigning Cam because we still need a bridge Qb while Jones develops. That is not being a scorned fan or wishing we had Brady. We needed to improve Qb for this year.

As for Hoyer...
BB had 3 newcomers at QB. Doesn't it make perfect sense to bring a veteran who knows the system inside and out to help mentor all 3?
It's not Hoyer's role to actually play. He's there to coach the other 3. By being 1 of them they can talk and feel free to say things they might not say to Josh or BB.
That's Hoyer's role.

Jimmy could have been had if we picked up his contract. That was always the issue because he had the no trade clause. I heard we offered him $16 mil instead of the $25 and Yee said that was a non starter obviously. Can you confirm that? I forget where I heard it. Someone in Sirius I think.

Cam has terrible ball security. His fumble cost us the Bills game and he threw a ton of picks. How is Fitz considered worse?

JG was never available despite all the talk. Money was never the issue with BB. BB tried and there were discussions about his availability but SF decided they needed to hold on to JG.

Fitz (249) and Cam (160) don't belong in the same universe when it comes to unforced turnovers. Fitz loses as many games as he wins bc of his turnovers. You should know that already.

As for Hoyer...
BB had 3 newcomers at QB. Doesn't it make perfect sense to bring a veteran who knows the system inside and out to help mentor all 3?
It's not Hoyer's role to actually play. He's there to coach the other 3. By being 1 of them they can talk and feel free to say things they might not say to Josh or BB.
That's Hoyer's role.

JG was never available despite all the talk. Money was never the issue with BB. BB tried and there were discussions about his availability but SF decided they needed to hold on to JG.

Fitz (249) and Cam (160) don't belong in the same universe when it comes to unforced turnovers. Fitz loses as many games as he wins bc of his turnovers. You should know that already.
Then why not hire Hoyer as a coach? Why have him take up a roster spot as a mentor?

In terms of Jimmy, San Fran would have moved him if we made an offer they couldn't refuse. Everything I have heard is we didn't want to pick up his contract. We can just leave it at that.

Why can't our coaches work with Fitz on ball security? That is pretty much our forteit. And he is still a much better Qb than Cam so he can better make up for his mistakes than Cam can at this point.

Then why not hire Hoyer as a coach? Why have him take up a roster spot as a mentor?

In terms of Jimmy, San Fran would have moved him if we made an offer they couldn't refuse.
Everything I have heard is we didn't want to pick up his contract. We can just leave it at that.

Why can't our coaches work with Fitz on ball security? That is pretty much our forteit. And he is still a much better Qb than Cam so he can better make up for his mistakes than Cam can at this point.

I answered your questions in my post previous to your post.

As for your assertion that San Fran would have moved him if we made an offer they couldn't refuse.
You're thinking like a fan and not like a GM. SF thinks their team is good enough to make a run with JG.
In your opinion, what would/could BB have offered to make SF give up that hope & would JG actually be worth all that while we wait for Jones to develop?

Last edited:
I love how people who aren't in Hoyer's shoes cavalierly ask why he simply isn't hired as a coach. They completely dismiss the effect another season of credited service as a player has and will have on his pension amount, current and future health care coverage for him and his family, etc. It's a dumb, inconsiderate question.

You are missing the entire point. This isn't about a starter going down and the back up playing. That is always a downgrade on any team as back ups are back ups for a reason. This is about our entire Qb room which was the worst in the league last year. Bill brought back all 3 and added Jones. So we are stuck with the 3 Stooges again while Tampa has the GOAT.

We were told ALL off-season that there was no way Bill would not upgrade the room. We were told "anyone but Cam." But as usual Bill cheaped out on the most important position despite having the most money ever to spend in FA and a ton of draft capital.

Liar.

Show us this “anyone but Cam” claim coming from the Patriots.

Please. Put your money where your mouth is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In terms of Jimmy, San Fran would have moved him if we made an offer they couldn't refuse. Everything I have heard is we didn't want to pick up his contract. We can just leave it at that.

Oh, so Cam can’t improve his throwing lotion, but we can teach a what, 38 year old to FINALLY, 16 years later, learn how to hold onto the ball properly ?
Hilarious.

Newton was set up for failure last year.

You know Hoyer could just be a Camp arm. Lets see how well Cam plays. Now that we have 2 New Tes. New WRs in Bourne & Agholar. Myers can go back to inside. I think hes a much better fit. I will give you credit if your right abour Cam during the season .
And I will do likewise if I am wrong about Cam and he has a good season which we all hope he does until Jones is ready this season or next.

I answered your questions in my post previous to your post.

As for your assertion that San Fran would have moved him if we made an offer they couldn't refuse.
You're thinking like a fan and not like a GM. SF thinks their team is good enough to make a run with JG.
In your opinion, what would/could BB have offered to make SF give up that hope & would JG actually be worth all that while we wait for Jones to develop?
To the bolded - it is statements like these as I have mentioned to you that really irk me. Could you please refrain from making them. You said the same thing about the Julio trade and it turns out I was the one thinking like the GM as he got traded over the weekend.

But in terms of Jimmy, I would have given the #2 for him and maybe another later round pick on top. It is no secret that Bill loves him and developed him. The injuries are always a concern but we were not going to find a better bridge given his age and his contract which to me was fine. $25 mil is not a lot for a quality starter especially one you believe in because he has been in your system and has excelled. Again, what I heard is Jimmy was open to coming to NE but Bill only offering $16 mil was a non starter. It is so secret that Shanny does not like the guy at all. Remember his pressers? Ugh. He would have taken our picks and run, especially if we took on Jimmy's salary for him.

I don’t like Cam, but I really hope they don’t rush the development of Jones.

Liar.

Show us this “anyone but Cam” claim coming from the Patriots.

Please. Put your money where your mouth is.

She won't. Every time her fingers hit the keys she's lying. It's habitual.

To the bolded - it is statements like these as I have mentioned to you that really irk me. Could you please refrain from making them. You said the same thing about the Julio trade and it turns out I was the one thinking like the GM as he got traded over the weekend.

But in terms of Jimmy, I would have given the #2 for him and maybe another later round pick on top. It is no secret that Bill loves him and developed him. The injuries are always a concern but we were not going to find a better bridge given his age and his contract which to me was fine. $25 mil is not a lot for a quality starter especially one you believe in because he has been in your system and has excelled. Again, what I heard is Jimmy was open to coming to NE but Bill only offering $16 mil was a non starter. It is so secret that Shanny does not like the guy at all. Remember his pressers? Ugh. He would have taken our picks and run, especially if we took on Jimmy's salary for him.

Again, you cannot just make statements like the one bolded and casually throw in "it's no secret" as if it's a statement of fact! How do you know what Bill's feelings about Jimmy are? And I thought Bill doesn't 'develop' QBs? And where did you hear about Jimmy's thoughts about coming to NE and what Bill was offering if anything at all??

Again, you cannot just make statements like the one bolded and casually throw in "it's no secret" as if it's a statement of fact! How do you know what Bill's feelings about Jimmy are? And I thought Bill doesn't 'develop' QBs? And where did you hear about Jimmy's thoughts about coming to NE and what Bill was offering if anything at all??
Actually, I am trying and failing at not making my posts sound that way. Ugh. I need to change the tone a bit but to answer your question, I am basing my opinion on Bill's presser when we traded Jimmy. It was probably one of the most glowing pressers on a player he has ever given. It was also reported that he was trying to extend Jimmy on a back up deal but Jimmy of course declined because he wanted to be a starter. Jimmy also revealed prior to the SB two years ago that Bill still texts him. So based on all of that, I would say Bill likes him a lot. LOL
Also, I think it was Bedard that said Jimmy was Plan A for the Pats to acquire.

To your second question, I believe it was someone on Sirius radio that mentioned we had offered $16 million to Jimmy. I posted that to Chevs to see if he could confirm or deny but he has not said anything. I mean it makes sense as the $25 mil is a lot for a QB that has been injured as much as Jimmy but the $16 mil if true is also insulting so I can see why Jimmy would said no and collect his $25 mil from San Fran.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back