Tom Brady/Tampa Off-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look why don’t we all agree that we’re glad Tom and his weird posse of snake oil selling quacks, his “humour”, his tree hugging Yoko of a wife, his befuddled, opinionated dad are all gone. The Brady’s have gone “Full Florida” So good luck to them, we’ve moved on.

It's been old for a year now, but good thing you just realized it. Maybe that's the first step.

First off, that meme is so cloying and absurd that upon seeing it I spit-sprayed my morning coffee all over the kitchen wall. So, Thanks for that.

I just plain don't understand the "it's the man not the deed" part, but I'll give you style points for capturing in a pic the special kind of irrational
idolatry that Tommites have for their icon dreamboat.

Not to disappoint you, but the "leaving his human form behind" thing has been Jerry's concept for a long time and that was just my spin
on his intellectual property, but thanks for the kind words, but to steal another of his bits; posting on a website isn't a perfect form of expression
but it beats standing on the corner and screaming your opinion at passing cars and I'll be sure and let you know when I write my first book, which
will be a novel about a tragic love triangle between a hard-drinking, noodle-armed QB named Tim Bundy, the closeted gay team owner, Bob Brand,
who secretly carries a huge schoolgirl crush on him and Bull Bellicose, the befuddled-yet-lovable Head Coach with a heart of gold, who doesn't care
about winning as long as the players have fun.

So, anyhow, the reason I am writing all these bullshit posts lately is that I, like many of us, am about out of gas over the whole Brady/Bill debate. I
was once a moderator here and sometimes attempted to find common ground and cool off trouble spots when I wasn't otherwise too busy insulting
people and starting fights. I "retired" as a moderator because I felt I just plain didn't understand what people really wanted out of this place (if I ever
did) and felt it was time to let somebody else referee the predictable squabbles, most seeming to revolve around Captain Dimples.

So, here we are and it's Groundhog Day. What I believe we are dealing with is a very complex form of a "Scotoma" which is basically a term for a blind
spot in somebody's vision and it is used both literally and figuratively. You see a Saintly leader with angel wings and I see a phony new-age weirdo. I
see a genius who has titanium testicles and you see a paranoid control freak. In short, we see what we want to see and what will confirm our
deeply-rooted biases. "We" all do this and it gets exhausting and serves no purpose.

The pic below is an example of a Scotoma. Look at it and what do you see? The young girl or the old hag? Many people will only see one or the other. My
point is that they are both there even if we don't believe it at first.
Forums are interesting place, aren't they? I was not posting on anything (Pats or otherwise) for about 2 years. I have to say it was liberating. I did find my thoughts to be much quieter and overall much more at peace with the world. I have only come back to this place because, yes, I did miss you guys/gals even the ones that give me a hard time and also Patsfans which I really just read more than post because there is just so much convo over there it is hard to keep up.

I am sure someone is out there writing sociology books on what people are really trying to get out of online forums. I am not sure what I want either. The only thing I have really enjoyed in life discussing with others with whom I do not know personally are the Patriots, Music and God. Of course, not in that order always. LOL. I don't really know why. Some of it I think is validation for my own point of view and a sense of belonging, some of it is to hear and understand the other side, some of it is to read thoughtful posts like yours whether I agree with them or not, and sometimes it is just fun to debate and argue. But kudos to you for being a moderator. I don't think I could handle that job either. Just too much to try to keep control of. I think UT does a good job here. He tries to keep things free and loose which is probably the way go. I suppose you lose posters in the process but they probably were not going to stay anyways.

I have seen your Scotoma picture before. The first time I ever saw it, I could only see the old woman. Someone had to really point out the young girl to me. So it is a good reminder about all of our blind spots.

I do think the Bill/Brady debate will carry on but also simmer down now that we are 2 years removed. It was always going to happen if either one of them ever left each other. In a way, I do kind of enjoy seeing each out on their own. 20 years a long time. I have never had one job that long. The only things in my life that have lasted that long is my time at my church (32 years) and my marriage (22 years in July). It really is remarkable when you think about it especially in pro sports when so many athletes look to get out of their contracts in just a couple of years.

Last edited:
Guess his knee is all heeled up.

His ACL surgery was 13 years ago so I would imagine he kind of needed to get things tuned up to keep the stability. I have a friend who works in that field of ligament repair and he said it is typical after 10 years to have to get things stabilized again. It sounds like he was in a lot of pain last year dealing with it and having to treat it every day. Pretty amazing to think as to me he looked really spry in the pocket all year and threw the ball with authority which happens when you have good legs underneath you. I am sure Alex was working/treating him non-stop. Lots of avocado smoothies. LOL

I believe Alex Guerrero sprinkled some fairy dust on it courtesy of Tinkerbell and it magically healed! Huzzah!

The pic below is an example of a Scotoma. Look at it and what do you see? The young girl or the old hag? Many people will only see one or the other. My
point is that they are both there even if we don't believe it at first.

View attachment 4336
That is f'n cool.

I hadn't seen this one and reading the subsequent posts it was easier to know what I was looking at. Now I can see both at will. Excellent stuff.

But great comparison on confirmation bias. We all have it.

He probably got a longer out of it because of his work with Alex and his overall training/diet.

That was a really great interview from Palmer. Thanks for posting. It is so interesting hearing him break down the complexity of Arians system and how difficult it is for QBs to pick it up in year one. Take a look at the graphic below that breaks down Brady's stats last year compared to other QBs that played for Arians in year one. Brady's TDs to pick ratio is by far the best as well as his adjusted completion percentage.

I LOL'd when Palmer said Arians is not a guy that is going to run a 14 or 15 play drive with a ton of runs and then go play action. He is going to try to go 85 yards in 3 plays. It was almost like he was specifically calling out Bill's offense that Brady was running to make it seem like how impossible it was going to be for Brady to pick it up. Not only did he pick it up, he had one of the best statistical seasons of his career with no off-season. And that is the other thing. Palmer talks about how one off-season and a full 16 game season is not enough to pick it up yet by week 12 Brady had it mastered coming out of the bye. His stats from week 13 right through the playoffs are scorching. In the playoffs alone he threw 10 TDs to 3 picks and could have had more TDs it Tampa did not take its foot off the gas in the SB mid-way through the 3rd quarter.

It truly is amazing that people keep doubting. I remember Montana saying how hard it would be for Brady to learn a new system and team after 20 years in NE and that he would struggle immensely. LOL. Yeah he struggled alright ... all the way to another Lombardi. LOL

View: https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/1346109015105941509

This is a fascinating thread on the GB forum asking if fans believe Rodgers can play as long as Brady. Notice how often the fans of GB refer to Brady as the GOAT. That is what winning in Tampa did for him in terms of rival fan bases giving him the respect.

This was my favorite post:
Both guys are headcases whose drafting motivated them to become MVP-tier QBs. I think Rodgers got the better backup tutelage under (pre-risk averse) Mike McCarthy and had better WR talent overall than Brady, who had the Curmudgeon and a bunch of twitchy try-hards (and Randy Moss).

The difference for the sake of this question is that Brady is the High Priest and True Believer of the TB12 Cult and has lived his whole pro career to be marketable and in top physical and mental shape. He helps install the offense; he recruits potential teammates (character Red Flags to come to TB for cheap); and he tries to sell them on his physical regimen. Brady skipped Tampa Bay's OTAs to lead his own while Rodgers saw the wonders of Hawai'i.

I'm not saying that Aaron Rodgers doesn't work out on his own in the offseason or cram harder than most starting QBs between training camp and the last game of the season. I think he's a better natural athlete than Brady and probably a better quarterback. But his degree of all-in isn't the same as Tom Brady and whatever it takes to achieve his Unnatural Cranium.

I think that whatever motivates A-Rod, he will either be satisfied with or resigned with football before he reaches Tom Brady's career performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back