Tornado in Claremont NH last night.

A tornado is no joke. I been through many and will be through more due to where I live. I hope all are okay.

that sho woodah lifted up that long loincloth that filthy red savage Claremonster wears iffin' he still lived up theyah :cool:
I think he's still there. A true Connecticut River Savage.

A tornado is no joke. I been through many and will be through more due to where I live. I hope all are okay.
They scare the bejeus out of me. There's virtually nothing you can do to protect yourself if they spring up on you.

They scare the bejeus out of me. There's virtually nothing you can do to protect yourself if they spring up on you.

Exactly. Where I live it is a flood zone. That means you won't find a basement anywhere near you. A root cellar? Same issue due to the clay. It is scary as hell. The closest one that came near me was within 1/2 a mile of my house and that tornado took out three neighborhoods. According to a weatherman if it had moved just a few degrees my neighborhood would have been hit. It is scary shit especially when you toss in hurricanes due to where I live.

The various weather disasters we been seeing all year so far just shows Mother Nature is no joke.

I

As someone with no experience of them myself, did the recorder of this video do the right thing in this circumstance?

By Midwest standards, this was not a strong tornado, but if you are driving and you see one heading towards you, what is the recommended course of action? Assuming there are no overpasses like in this situation that is.

Pull over and hope for the best? Or turn around and try to get further away from it?

As someone with no experience of them myself, did the recorder of this video do the right thing in this circumstance?

By Midwest standards, this was not a strong tornado, but if you are driving and you see one heading towards you, what is the recommended course of action? Assuming there are no overpasses like in this situation that is.

Pull over and hope for the best? Or turn around and try to get further away from it?
Get out of the car. Bend over backwards and kiss yor ass goodbye.

this red truck guy did OK 😳

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd6Lae_zNXc

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5cKpWqMsYU

Why they are going toward it is beyond me.

I am curious if there was a warning in place or was this one that just dropped with little warning. Every time we have a warning that the weather is ripe for a tornado forming or one has been seen I keep my butt home. If I am on the road and it is one that just dropped I find the nearest shelter. It is not your car. Most places around here have shelters if you can get to one. However, if that is not possible, if you don't see any or know where any is, stay in your car, seat belt on and protect your head below the windows. The odds of you out driving a tornado are what they are. Plus, know where the shelters are in advance.

If you are home go to the first floor and go in the very center if you can. Do not go near the windows or doors with glass plating. I know it seems obvious but people like to record tornadoes and hurricanes. Cover your head/protect your head. A hallway, bathroom or closet is recommended.

If you are outside and can't get to a shelter , crouch by a strong structure, if you don't than lie flat in a ditch or low lying area. To be honest that last part gives me little comfort. Get as far away from cars and trees.

That is how my family proceeds. Plus, I always keep an weather radio in my car and in my house.

Why they are going toward it is beyond me.

I am curious if there was a warning in place or was this one that just dropped with little warning. Every time we have a warning that the weather is ripe for a tornado forming or one has been seen I keep my butt home. If I am on the road and it is one that just dropped I find the nearest shelter. It is not your car. Most places around here have shelters if you can get to one. However, if that is not possible, if you don't see any or know where any is, stay in your car, seat belt on and protect your head below the windows. The odds of you out driving a tornado are what they are. Plus, know where the shelters are in advance.

If you are home go to the first floor and go in the very center if you can. Do not go near the windows or doors with glass plating. I know it seems obvious but people like to record tornadoes and hurricanes. Cover your head/protect your head. A hallway, bathroom or closet is recommended.

If you are outside and can't get to a shelter , crouch by a strong structure, if you don't than lie flat in a ditch or low lying area. To be honest that last part gives me little comfort. Get as far away from cars and trees.

That is how my family proceeds. Plus, I always keep an weather radio in my car and in my house.
Yeah I knew about the home and structure stuff. No such thing really as known tornado shelters around here. At least as far as I know.

I think most people in New England don't give them a lot of serious consideration when there is a warning because there are far more warnings than there are tornados.

I probably would have done similar to this guy except made sure where I was pulling over was not too close to trees and telephone poles.

Yeah I knew about the home and structure stuff. No such thing really as known tornado shelters around here. At least as far as I know.

I think most people in New England don't give them a lot of serious consideration when there is a warning because there are far more warnings than there are tornados.

I probably would have done similar to this guy except made sure where I was pulling over was not too close to trees and telephone poles.
A normal basement will usually dooya. Even if it rips through the walls of your house, a tornado has to be both really strong and positioned just right to rip up the floor and subfloor that is laying flat (Hard for the wind to find solid purchase) at or near ground level, and secured very tightly. I doubt you'd see tornados in NH with enough force to do that, and I'm 95% confident in that.

In a car, drive away. Put some distance between you and it. If it seems to have a steady direction, maybe take an angle away from the path, but they do wander, so the big thing is just distance.

Keep your eyes open, look around you - where there is one tornado, very often more spring up in the area. And if you've got shit luck, spare an occasional glance directly above.

Keep your ears open. A tornado near you sounds an awful lot like a smallish approaching train. A kind of fragmented rushing, roaring sound.

If you're in a decent sized town, you're usually safe. Tornados hit trailer parks and cornfields because the heat from heavily trafficked and asphalted areas pushes them up and over or around like a bubble. Usually.

Isn't using overpasses for protection a myth? I know there is that one famous video from years ago where people took shelter there but my understanding is they should be avoided if at all possible, it's a death trap. I suppose if you're on foot it's better than being in the wide open.

I've watched hundreds of hours of tornado chaser videos so of course that makes me an expert :p I'm a bit of a severe weather fanatic. One thing I did pick up on though that if it looks like it's not moving left or right, there's a chance it's heading right towards you and it's extremely difficult to judge how fast it's coming.

Last edited:
Back