Total Quarteback Rating - Tommy CRUSHES the pack

BostonTim

IIWII
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6834591/nfl-tom-brady-led-nfl-qbr-2010-season

Tom Brady finished #1 in the debut ratings (NFL 2010) crushing the field. One of the ESPN segments pointed out this notable fact. Tom Brady finished 6.5 points higher than #2 (who else) Peyton Manning. Meanwhile, #2 PM finished only 6.3 points higher than #9 ( yes, #9) Philip Rivers.

Keep in mind that this new stat is far from being totally Tom friendly. Long passes are valued more highly than short passes and scrambling/running success is a value plus, favoring scrambling QBs.

I still kinda think this stat sucks, but I'm not sure. But it sure makes TB look great. Not that he needs a stat to do that... :coffee:

Cheers, BostonTim

Alright, I admit I was skeptical about this new rating system when I read that Trent Dilfer was involved in trying to prove that passer rating wasn't the true measure of a QB ROFL ...but now that TFB came out on top, it has my approval. :D

ETA: Yeah, as if we needed proof that TFB is the ruler of all things amongst the current crop of QBs...file this under "Duh". :harumph: :)

Posted via Mobile Device

The fact that Brady dominates the "Make Mark Sanchez look like he's really not the worst QB in the NFL by giving him excuses even though he IS the worst QB in the NFL" made up stat is pretty funny.

It still kinda odd. Manning moves up 9 sports....11th to 2nd. Thats a big jump while Rivers falls from 2nd to 9th, it also shows that Matt Ryan is better than Rodgers.....wow. So I am not sure what is happening in there that makes it change. In other words what is Manning doing right that rivers is doing wrong that is making them go in opposite directions?

Looks like another useless stat that gives a 'rough idea' but will never be a true representation of quality (obviously).

According to some posts on the ESPN thread, this stat looks much less reliable when you apply it to previous seasons. For example, Peyton's 2008 and 2009 seasons rank higher than Brady's 2010 season, one in which he won unanimous MVP with one of the best QB seasons ever.

ESPN COMMENT said:
I have a problem with a rating system that rates Peytons 2008 and 2009 seasons better than Bradys 2010 season. A season that BRady won the ONLY unanimous MVP ever and that many called one of the finest seaons ever for a quarterback. And how does Peytons 2010 season get rated higher than Aaron Rodgers 2010 season ? Didn't Peyton have a 3 game INT streak that totaled 12 INTs, an average of 4 a game that gave his team little to no chance of winning? Eli Mannings 2010 season beter than Phillip Rivers and Big Ben ?

Not like many of us expected this to be the divine quarterback statistic, but even the 2010 list is pretty mind-boggling at times.

BTW, to the comments about Rivers and Manning switching spots, that is probably a byproduct of this new stat incorporating sacks and fumbles into the rating. Rivers was sacked more than twice as often as Peyton. But honestly, are sacks really a stat that should be put on the QB? Obviously Peyton is great at avoiding sacks, but let's not pretend that sacks aren't hugely reflective of OLs, RBs, etc as well. Be interesting to see where Peyton and Rivers ranked if we used the same sack statistic for both.

Interestingly, if we want to put fumbles on the QB, that is one area where Peyton honestly dominates Tom. Peyton's track record for fumbles and fumbles lost is actually quite impressive. Compared to Brady, Manning has played a few extra seasons and still has 15 less fumbles and 15 less fumbles lost than Brady. In fact, Manning has never had a season with double digit fumbles while Brady has fumbled 10+ times in half of his pro seasons. Manning also loses only 31% of his fumbles while Brady loses 45%.

Interesting. Brady is still a badass and owns Peyton, but still. Interesting.

Keep in mind that this new stat is far from being totally Tom friendly. Long passes are valued more highly than short passes and scrambling/running success is a value plus, favoring scrambling QBs.

I caught part of the program where they explain this the other night. Hey, I needed something to watch during commercials of the Sox game.

The "intent" of the new rating is to give a more comprehensive evaluation of a QB's impact on a game.

If a QB scrambles for a 1st down, keeping a drive alive, that won't show up in the passer rating since the latter only looks at passes.

At one point Gruden was all giggly when they showed two throw aways by Johnson in the NFCCG against the Eagles because he said those were the exact right thing to do in the situation. Of course that he came back on 3rd down for a long TD pass didn't hurt either.

Assuming they actually evaluate the decision making properly, and without knowing the play call and the options that isn't necessarily easy, it could be a good system.

There are plenty of times that throwing the ball out of bounds is the exact right decision, and if this system can give a QB credit for that decision, then it's a good thing.

Looks like another useless stat that gives a 'rough idea' but will never be a true representation of quality (obviously).

According to some posts on the ESPN thread, this stat looks much less reliable when you apply it to previous seasons. For example, Peyton's 2008 and 2009 seasons rank higher than Brady's 2010 season, one in which he won unanimous MVP with one of the best QB seasons ever.

Not like many of us expected this to be the divine quarterback statistic, but even the 2010 list is pretty mind-boggling at times.

BTW, to the comments about Rivers and Manning switching spots, that is probably a byproduct of this new stat incorporating sacks and fumbles into the rating. Rivers was sacked more than twice as often as Peyton. But honestly, are sacks really a stat that should be put on the QB? Obviously Peyton is great at avoiding sacks, but let's not pretend that sacks aren't hugely reflective of OLs, RBs, etc as well. Be interesting to see where Peyton and Rivers ranked if we used the same sack statistic for both.

Interestingly, if we want to put fumbles on the QB, that is one area where Peyton honestly dominates Tom. Peyton's track record for fumbles and fumbles lost is actually quite impressive. Compared to Brady, Manning has played a few extra seasons and still has 15 less fumbles and 15 less fumbles lost than Brady. In fact, Manning has never had a season with double digit fumbles while Brady has fumbled 10+ times in half of his pro seasons. Manning also loses only 31% of his fumbles while Brady loses 45%.

Interesting. Brady is still a badass and owns Peyton, but still. Interesting.

manning gets sacked a lot more than Brady though, beyond popular belief, Brady is not sitting behind the "greatest Oline ever in the history of football" like people say. For the pct's, does that mean that the colts are better at getting the ball back when Peyton Fumbles?:shrug: But when you only get sacked 7 times a year, its a bit easier to not fumble as much, neither of them run either.

I caught part of the program where they explain this the other night. Hey, I needed something to watch during commercials of the Sox game.

The "intent" of the new rating is to give a more comprehensive evaluation of a QB's impact on a game.

If a QB scrambles for a 1st down, keeping a drive alive, that won't show up in the passer rating since the latter only looks at passes.

At one point Gruden was all giggly when they showed two throw aways by Johnson in the NFCCG against the Eagles because he said those were the exact right thing to do in the situation. Of course that he came back on 3rd down for a long TD pass didn't hurt either.

Assuming they actually evaluate the decision making properly, and without knowing the play call and the options that isn't necessarily easy, it could be a good system.

There are plenty of times that throwing the ball out of bounds is the exact right decision, and if this system can give a QB credit for that decision, then it's a good thing.

But on the other hand, it also gives credit to running QB's, not to mention how far you throw, which is all fine and good, but sometimes a 20 yard throw is absolute crap and the receiver makes a silly disgusting catch where has another throw that goes 15 yards is right on the money and the receiver can run after, so its still subjective.

manning gets sacked a lot more than Brady though, beyond popular belief, Brady is not sitting behind the "greatest Oline ever in the history of football" like people say. For the pct's, does that mean that the colts are better at getting the ball back when Peyton Fumbles?:shrug: But when you only get sacked 7 times a year, its a bit easier to not fumble as much, neither of them run either.

I'm aware, but nonetheless, fumbles is one area where Manning has had much more success.

Back