Trade Wynn?

I'll save everyone from having to listen to Bedard for 40 minutes. This is from Jeff Howe from 3 days ago.

Trent Brown was out of practice, so Yodny Cajuste took over at left tackle with Justin Herron sticking at right tackle. Players rotate positions all the time during the spring, but the Patriots are clearly working on a contingency plan if they don’t have Wynn, who has missed 35 of 70 games in his four-year career, including the playoffs.

Brown was the starter last week with Herron again on the right side, and this is notable because Brown stuck to right tackle last season. Herron has played both spots in his career but has an edge in career snaps from left tackle (394) to right tackle (290).

Meanwhile, Wynn is playing on his fully guaranteed, $10.4 million fifth-year option and has the fifth-highest cap charge on the team. It’s not an outrageous number — the 14th-highest cap hit among NFL left tackles — but it’s a high number for a player who hasn’t consistently been available, especially at such a premium position.

The Patriots are doing one of two things with the Brown-Herron reps: They’re either getting proactive with their backup plan if Wynn gets injured, or they’re trying to obtain as much information as possible to determine if there’s a drop-off in performance from Wynn-Brown to Brown-Herron.

Wynn is in a contract year — a time when the Patriots tend to increase their consideration of trading a player — and the team only has $1.8 million in cap space. If the Patriots make Wynn available, there’s a belief from other executives around the league that he could draw a decent return because he has generally performed well when healthy and there’s such a shortage of offensive line talent.

The problem? If the Patriots trade Wynn and Brown gets injured, the tackles behind Herron on the depth chart are dangerously unproven, short of them kicking right guard Mike Onwenu back outside. That’d be a big gamble with a line that has already lost right guard Shaq Mason to a trade, interior starter Ted Karras in free agency and three coaches in three years, particularly when second-year quarterback Mac Jones’ growth should be the coaches’ greatest priority.

It’s got to be something the Patriots are considering, though.

Miguel answers your burning question

View: https://twitter.com/patscap/status/1531022538674954245

Sure, we could unload Wynn on some unsuspecting team, say, the McRaiders, pick up some premium draft picks in the process and after that we can get to work on cheap gas
and free beer for all.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but unreliable (and expensive) football players coming off a really bad year aren't exactly in high demand until attrition and shit luck sets in and desperation follows. The only way anybody is taking on Wynn and his salary is if some GM has about three straight sleepless nights worrying about his Franchise QB getting killed because he's got more turnstyles in his OL than an MBTA station.

On an unrelated note, I'm going to predict that we'll see Onwenu back at RT before long and Chasen Hines starting at RG. After watching Hines for a while I can't help but wondering
why he wasn't drafted higher than he was. He doesn't look like a project or a career scrub at all to me, although I could see Andrew Steuber getting fast-tracked at RT which could
screw up that scenario. I believe both will good enough to create a numbers crunch up front, so somebody has to go.

I've come to believe that Wynn just doesn't really have enough want-to and I'd be delighted to offload him because we have enough plausible options to do at least
as well without him and his 10 million cap hit.

Sure, we could unload Wynn on some unsuspecting team, say, the McRaiders, pick up some premium draft picks in the process and after that we can get to work on cheap gas
and free beer for all.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but unreliable (and expensive) football players coming off a really bad year aren't exactly in high demand until attrition and shit luck sets in and desperation follows. The only way anybody is taking on Wynn and his salary is if some GM has about three straight sleepless nights worrying about his Franchise QB getting killed because he's got more turnstyles in his OL than an MBTA station.

On an unrelated note, I'm going to predict that we'll see Onwenu back at RT before long and Chasen Hines starting at RG. After watching Hines for a while I can't help but wondering
why he wasn't drafted higher than he was. He doesn't look like a project or a career scrub at all to me, although I could see Andrew Steuber getting fast-tracked at RT which could
screw up that scenario. I believe both will good enough to create a numbers crunch up front, so somebody has to go.

I've come to believe that Wynn just doesn't really have enough want-to and I'd be delighted to offload him because we have enough plausible options to do at least
as well without him and his 10 million cap hit.
Sadly I agree, no team is going to pick up his salary for the upcoming season and give us anything worthwhile to boot. He's likely more valuable to us for this season at this point, hopefully he balls out knowing this is a prove it season for someone to pony up next offseason.

Sadly I agree, no team is going to pick up his salary for the upcoming season and give us anything worthwhile to boot. He's likely more valuable to us for this season at this point, hopefully he balls out knowing this is a prove it season for someone to pony up next offseason.
Actually, if a BB centric team needs a LT/LG, it could happen.

Actually, if a BB centric team needs a LT/LG, it could happen.
Anything, "could happen", I just don't see a team taking on an 11 million dollar salary for this year alone, plus giving up anything of worth in the the way of a player or draft pick, for Wynn. I also doubt the Patriots are looking for a cap dump because it was Bill that elected to pick up his 5th year option to begin with.

Anything, "could happen", I just don't see a team taking on an 11 million dollar salary for this year alone, plus giving up anything of worth in the the way of a player or draft pick, for Wynn. I also doubt the Patriots are looking for a cap dump because it was Bill that elected to pick up his 5th year option to begin with.
I'm not sure why BB still believes in Wynn as a LT...he would be so much better at LG.

I'm not sure why BB still believes in Wynn as a LT...he would be so much better at LG.
He's been serviceable to decent when healthy, but they kind of painted themselves into a corner by picking up his option.

Wynn is at camp today. Sounds like he's taking turns with Brown at LT.

Back