Trip of a lifetime....

Have a great ride and a great time. I just got back a month ago from my first long trip on a bike, about 2900 miles in 8 days....Austin to Charleston to Northern Florida and back.....it took me 29 years of riding to cross my first state lines, it won't take that long again!

OK, I had to google it and wiki has the lowdown on why US 6 is no longer the longest highway.

U.S. Route 6 (US 6), also called the Grand Army of the Republic Highway, honoring the American Civil War veterans association, is a main route of the U.S. Highway system. While it currently runs east-northeast from Bishop, California, to Provincetown, Massachusetts, the route has been modified several times. The highway's longest-lasting routing, from 1936 to 1964, had its western terminus at Long Beach, California. During this time, US 6 was the longest highway in the country.

In 1964, the state of California renumbered its highways, and most of the route within California was transferred to other highways. This dropped the highway's length below that of US 20, making it the second longest U.S. Highway in the country.

Reasonable question Roberto. First and foremost it's a city and we like the countryside and backroads. The traffic can be terrible and usually is, it's very expensive to stay in an urban area, and it's difficult at night to secure a motorcycle in a city from people who like to take things that don't belong to them!!
The Southside is cheap...

So yesterday at noon I was getting ready to leave Massachusetts to head back home in Florida and my daughter asked me if I could pick her up today at Noon sharp at the Wawa she Works in St Johns. I said to her I’m 1200 miles away dear! She said don’t worry and don’t kill yourself. One must not disappoint my daughter so after one Red Bull, 3–5 hour energies,1200 miles and 23 hours 58 minutes later I arrived at her work with two minutes to spare.
Just woke up from a nap and I feel like shit…:rofl:280D0B39-B224-440A-BEF4-5AE716FFEF93.jpeg

So yesterday at noon I was getting ready to leave Massachusetts to head back home in Florida and my daughter asked me if I could pick her up today at Noon sharp at the Wawa she Works in St Johns. I said to her I’m 1200 miles away dear! She said don’t worry and don’t kill yourself. One must not disappoint my daughter so after one Red Bull, 3–5 hour energies,1200 miles and 23 hours 58 minutes later I arrived at her work with two minutes to spare.
Just woke up from a nap and I feel like shit…:rofl:View attachment 11214
I would have called an Uber :coffee:

~Dee~

Just woke up from a nap and I feel like shit…:rofl:View attachment 11214
I heard about all them "foreigners" speed taps in Georgia. You musta gone around.

Cheers, and Good Job!

I heard about all them "foreigners" speed taps in Georgia. You musta gone around.

Cheers, and Good Job!
I have the Waze app. Also even though I made good time I still didn’t go past 83MPH. Most of the way I just set the INTELLIGENT CRUISE at 79MPH on a 70 most of the way. Always remember the old saying nine you’re fine Ten your mine.

I have the Waze app. Also even though I made good time I still didn’t go past 83MPH. Most of the way I just set the INTELLIGENT CRUISE at 79MPH on a 70 most of the way. Always remember the old saying nine you’re fine Ten your mine.

The saying I recall, is "halfway to 80". That is you don't exceed the halfway point between the posted limit and 80.

Of course, the best advice I ever got was from a web site called something like "never get another speeding ticket". It was written by an ex state cop.

He said most people talk the cop into giving them a ticket before they even get to the window, without realizing it.

Pulling someone over isn't the safest thing a cop can do, They don't know if you're a criminal that's going to pull a gun, or if they're going to have their ass hanging out in traffic and get clipped.

So the whole point is to make them feel more "comfortable" .
  • If you can pull off the road completely, do so. Put on your turn signal so the cop knows what you're doing.
  • Keep your hands in plain sight and don't reach for anything, or do anything (license, registration, etc.) until he gets to the window and asks you for it. He doesn't know what you're reaching for. It could be a gun.
  • When he gets to the window, turn the stereo off, if it's on. If you have volume controls on the steering wheel, and you can turn the volume all the way down, while leaving your hands in plain sight, then do this before he gets to the window.
  • If you're wearing sunglasses, take them off. Let him see your eyes.
  • When he asks for something, and you reach for it, explain where you're going and what you're going to retrieve. e.g., "my registration is in the glove compartment".

The saying I recall, is "halfway to 80". That is you don't exceed the halfway point between the posted limit and 80.

Of course, the best advice I ever got was from a web site called something like "never get another speeding ticket". It was written by an ex state cop.

He said most people talk the cop into giving them a ticket before they even get to the window, without realizing it.

Pulling someone over isn't the safest thing a cop can do, They don't know if you're a criminal that's going to pull a gun, or if they're going to have their ass hanging out in traffic and get clipped.

• If you can pull off the road completely, do so. Put on your turn signal so the cop knows what you're doing.
  • Keep your hands in plain sight and don't reach for anything, or do anything (license, registration, etc.) until he gets to the window and asks you for it. He doesn't know what you're reaching for. It could be a gun.
  • When he gets to the window, turn the stereo off, if it's on. If you have volume controls on the steering wheel, and you can turn the volume all the way down, while leaving your hands in plain sight, then do this before he gets to the window.
  • When he asks for something, and you reach for it, explain where you're going and what you're going to retrieve. e.g., "my registration is in the glove compartment".

Thanks. Copied and shared in the aloyouis family group chat.

You mean it’s a bad idea to reach for your potato gun?

All solid advice, thanks.

I once made the mistake of getting my registration out of the glovebox in order to have everything ready for the cop that had stopped me for speeding. He showed his
appreciation by also writing me up for not wearing a seat belt, which I had only unclipped to reach the box.

So, I made my first and only appearance in Court, because, while I was driving over the posted limit, I hadn't driven without wearing a seat belt in over 20 years and was pissed. Had I waited for the Cop I could have unclipped and then reached while he was watching.

The judge couldn't believe I wasn't contesting the speeding charge, but he ended up tossing both fines out after I explained that I was there just to complain about the bogus seatbelt fine.

E60781CD-C0CD-419A-9BEA-CD016F29C65D.jpeg
Greetings. I’ve been riding hard and remiss in updating you. We are in Nebraska and riding the high plains. Up until today it’s been mostly straight roads, extreme heat and corn. Not much that was photo worthy and we’ve been into making miles and staying hydrated. Today things got awesome. And probably better and better. E60781CD-C0CD-419A-9BEA-CD016F29C65D.jpegE60781CD-C0CD-419A-9BEA-CD016F29C65D.jpegView attachment 11255E60781CD-C0CD-419A-9BEA-CD016F29C65D.jpegView attachment 11255A34BDF7A-B49A-4BD2-9D28-421C3A51D36C.jpegA34BDF7A-B49A-4BD2-9D28-421C3A51D36C.jpeg

Back