Trip of a lifetime....

Well. I'm back. So much for sharing updates as I went along.
What you quickly learn is that you don't exactly have a ton of downtime on trip like this.

I'm pleased to report that we had zero problems. No one got hurt or sick, and no one had a bike act up. It was tremendous fun and I had some of the best days on a motorcycle ever.
Highlights:
  • Upstate NY believe it or not, some great roads.
  • Yellowstone. Incomparable.
  • Cody Wyoming is a great town, we had a blast there.
  • Idaho and Montana were the best
  • I loved Nebraska.. the Great Plains are very nice.
  • Black Hills / Mt Rushmore were great takes, good riding too.
  • People are so nice everywhere we went.
Low lights
  • Iowa. Jesus Christ it's corn to the horizon in every direction. And I crossed it twice.
  • The heat on certain days. We're pretty good to 90-92. When it gets to or past 100, which it did on occasion, it's not fun, although we were prepared for it. In fact our longest days were two of the hottest, 450 plus miles in that crap. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. When you drink a gallon of water in a few hours and don't pee.. it is f-ing hot.
I wasn't sure how I or we would do physically. I packed a family size box of Aleve, AKA biker candy, anticipating aches and pains galore. I never touched them, and never got sore, my arse was as comfy as could be. I spent a lot of effort on the bike and making sure I addressed any ergonomics.. i.e. a custom seat, adjust pegs and bars as needed, wind protection good, and good gear... a cooling vest was key for the heat. Suffice to say I was pleased to be able to maintain a 350-450 mile pace for days and days. Not bad for a fossil in his 60's. Total mileage was just a hair under 7000.

Headcase commented about the Gold Wing with the lights.. yep that's mine. And they are bright as hell!

My pics need to be edited to fit file size issues here but I will try to add some of the good ones. I can't post MOV videos either.. I had a camera mounted on the bike taking videos at times.

Glad to hear the good news about your arse. Could have ruined your entire adventure.
Don't know why the smilies won't come up, must be part of UT 's "upgrade".

What you quickly learn is that you don't exactly have a ton of downtime on trip like this.

I'm pleased to report that we had zero problems. No one got hurt or sick, and no one had a bike act up. It was tremendous fun and I had some of the best days on a motorcycle ever.
Highlights:
Low lights
  • Iowa. Jesus Christ it's corn to the horizon in every direction. And I crossed it twice.
  • The heat on certain days. We're pretty good to 90-92. When it gets to or past 100, which it did on occasion, it's not fun, although we were prepared for it. In fact our longest days were two of the hottest, 450 plus miles in that crap. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. When you drink a gallon of water in a few hours and don't pee.. it is f-ing hot.
I wasn't sure how I or we would do physically. I packed a family size box of Aleve, AKA biker candy, anticipating aches and pains galore. I never touched them, and never got sore, my arse was as comfy as could be. I spent a lot of effort on the bike and making sure I addressed any ergonomics.. i.e. a custom seat, adjust pegs and bars as needed, wind protection good, and good gear... a cooling vest was key for the heat. Suffice to say I was pleased to be able to maintain a 350-450 mile pace for days and days. Not bad for a fossil in his 60's. Total mileage was just a hair under 7000.

Headcase commented about the Gold Wing with the lights.. yep that's mine. And they are bright as hell!

My pics need to be edited to fit file size issues here but I will try to add some of the good ones. I can't post MOV videos either.. I had a camera mounted on the bike taking videos at times.
Thanks for the update.

WRT the picture size limitation, I have far better luck getting the site to accept pictures from my phone than I do on my MacBook. No idea why. Same photo that is too large on the MB uploads no issues on the iPhone.

Here’s some thumbnails you can click for full images as you wish.

Attachments

• BA3F69AF-1DEF-4648-952F-7BD582CBA909.jpeg
    BA3F69AF-1DEF-4648-952F-7BD582CBA909.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 0A459959-A462-46D7-8B9C-C90421434DB1.jpeg
    0A459959-A462-46D7-8B9C-C90421434DB1.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 16
  • B23005A0-49E6-4040-B8B3-237ECBF0C107.jpeg
    B23005A0-49E6-4040-B8B3-237ECBF0C107.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 16
  • 144D0A7E-34BB-4D99-8474-F55CCC173510.jpeg
    144D0A7E-34BB-4D99-8474-F55CCC173510.jpeg
    636 KB · Views: 17
  • 2D4FC014-7A62-44A8-B5D6-C38246AE8A1A.jpeg
    2D4FC014-7A62-44A8-B5D6-C38246AE8A1A.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 14
  • 25627B4A-9060-486B-93D1-44C69233912E.jpeg
    25627B4A-9060-486B-93D1-44C69233912E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 0F360296-4BF9-488D-94D5-019FC606749F.jpeg
    0F360296-4BF9-488D-94D5-019FC606749F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • 5D6240E4-1E5E-4313-8C05-555B5D0A5956.jpeg
    5D6240E4-1E5E-4313-8C05-555B5D0A5956.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • B5E02D1F-DDBE-4E01-AD91-232C02F3F65B.jpeg
    B5E02D1F-DDBE-4E01-AD91-232C02F3F65B.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 2313A4FA-194D-49F9-810C-492F737BF24C.jpeg
    2313A4FA-194D-49F9-810C-492F737BF24C.jpeg
    940.3 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for the update.

WRT the picture size limitation, I have far better luck getting the site to accept pictures from my phone than I do on my MacBook. No idea why. Same photo that is too large on the MB uploads no issues on the iPhone.
thank you brotha that worked!

thank you brotha that worked!

Highlights:
Low lights

Upstate NY is unbelievable...my Daughter and Hubby have been at Fort Drum for 12 years out of his deployment. I’m heading there this weekend to kidnap granddaughter no 2 ( her dad is deployed) and take her on a road trip from Ny to NH and have lots of laughs along the way.

So glad you had fun!!!! Welcome back. Enjoyed living vicariously through you. I‘m trying to convince hubby to do an RV trip that way... he’s not a camper lol.

~Dee~

Last edited:
Dang, missed another great thread. Looks like you had a great trip with no major hiccups which frankly is pretty amazing. My brother rode a Goldwing for years and loved that bike but eventually gave into the Harley lifestyle, he's on a Bagger right now but getting ready to swap over to a trike. Did you make it to Glacier National Park? I've been there a few times and it's beautiful country, the Going to the Sun road is fun and I've seen mtn goat literally climb up the side of it, they are amazing creatures. So what's your next grand adventure?

Well, on Saturday AM, I will get on my motorcycle, meet my brother and two friends, and set out west, heading for Oregon. Took a month off from work, and it felt really good to make it clear I wasn't asking for the time off, I was taking it, and see ya later. They were cool with it.. even paying me, but if they had objected, I'd have quit, because I got to do this and I am running out of next years.
It's been a year of planning and spending a shit ton of money on gear and bike safety and comfort upgrades. About all that's left is pack my stuff and turn the key. Once we get to Oregon we will decide what route to take home. Playing it day to day.

Wish me luck!
Can't believe I missed this thread! I'm so jealous! I would love to do this!

I did my little trip at the end of May, beginning of June...first day was 935, drank a shitload of water, and didn't pee until I got off the bike for the day....I-10 across the SouthEast is no joke even in late Spring. i do find it kinda funny, while most of the country is riding now, down here in Texas it is the slow times.....We've probably averaged 100 degrees+ since late May (unusually hot this year), I've only put on 500 or so miles since I got back from my trip....20 miles or so to bike night on Tuesdays, 100 miles or so on the weekend...I can't wait until fall!

Attachments

• PXL_20220526_111713881.jpg
    PXL_20220526_111713881.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 5
Dang, missed another great thread. Looks like you had a great trip with no major hiccups which frankly is pretty amazing. My brother rode a Goldwing for years and loved that bike but eventually gave into the Harley lifestyle, he's on a Bagger right now but getting ready to swap over to a trike. Did you make it to Glacier National Park? I've been there a few times and it's beautiful country, the Going to the Sun road is fun and I've seen mtn goat literally climb up the side of it, they are amazing creatures. So what's your next grand adventure?
GNP is better than Yellowstone...as far as scenery goes.

We did not do Glacier, sadly. The Going to the Sun Road was closed due to heavy snow. I understand it opened during our trip but it was a couple of days past our ability to get up there. It's a big time / mileage commitment to do it.
We saw no mountain goats but there were a number of bighorn sheep, up close and personal, as in try not to hit them LOL. A

Highlights:
Low lights

FWIW, I live in Iowa 🤣

Back