Trump Midnight Regulations

johnlocke

Reaction score

Based on what I could read, I'm thrilled with these regulation DECREASE policies on environmentalism and the such. These are not increases in regulation. One of the good things Trump has done is to end many horrible regulations.

AkPatsFan

Reaction score
I'd bet that almost every president has done the same thing before their term ended, nothing unusual about this IMO.

HSanders

omitted out of respect to Mrs.Jastremski
Reaction score
Beagle, interested in your take on this one.

Allowing Tip Pooling With Back-of-House Restaurant Workers
After Congress thwarted the department's initial attempt to allow employers to skim tips as long as workers were still making at least the minimum wage, this new rulemaking would only let servers pool tips with cooks and other nontipped staff. According to the government's analysis, that could still result in a small transfer to employers if they were able to reduce the pay of back-of-house workers.

HSanders

Reaction score
These are the types of regulations that piss me off as a consumer. offer the water conserving as options. don't make them mandatory!

ENVIRONMENT
This rule has moved ahead since Election Day
Loosening Efficiency Standards for Shower Heads
This rule, which popped up days after President Donald Trump publicly complained about a supposed lack of water pressure in modern appliances, would loosen long-standing
requirements that showerheads conserve water. It's opposed by environmentalists, plumbing
manufacturers, consumer groups and utilities.
Department of Energy, Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy • Read more: regulations.gov
ENVIRONMENT
This rule has moved ahead since Election Day
Loosening Efficiency Standards for Clothes Washers and Dryers
This rule would loosen water and energy efficiency standards by creating a separate class of clothes washers and dryers based on how long they take to complete a load. More efficient washers use less water, and take longer, because they require more time for the soap to penetrate soiled clothes. Major manufacturers oppose the change, but small-government conservatives still want to slash regulation.
Department of Energy, Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy • Read more: regulations.gov

OP
Beaglebay

Beaglebay

Houndsight is 20/20
Reaction score
Website
www.tanjantstudios.com
Beagle, interested in your take on this one.
I am against tip pooling or tip sharing. Most of the cooks are full-time, and receive benefits. Front-of-the-house staff aren't and don't. None of the waitstaff earn minimum wage, either.

I worked for one year at a popular resort which pooled tips, from which the management skimmed, and gave them as bonuses to associate managers. We (waitstaff) took them to court, and won. Over $1M was ordered to be paid back to the staff, some of whom were getting robbed for 5-10 years.

Last edited:

HSanders

Reaction score
Thank you. i didn't understand enough about your industry to decide on this. glad you all got justice!

johnlocke

Reaction score
Speculation is that all of the docs on the Russian hoax are going to be released as well. I will believe it when I see it but... I'd like to see it. Curious minds.....

I worked in a high-end restaurant in Manchester, NH when I was 17 running as the salad and dessert maker and getter. The tips were pooled there. Not sure if the Chefs got any but I don't think management got it. It, it went to the lower-paid support staff like me. I'm not even sure it was mandatory or just that it was an appreciation thing from servers going home with 400 bucks a night. But I used to walk outta there a good chunk every night. I didn't hate it.

The Botton line though is, nothing should be mandated about money in a business. I just didn't think it was a horrible thing in that situation.

OP
Beaglebay

Beaglebay

Houndsight is 20/20
Reaction score
Website
www.tanjantstudios.com
Since Covid and the rise in take out, all of my bartenders voluntarily split tips 50/50 with their bar backs (if they have one), since they make sure every order is correct, packaged safely, and condiments and utensils are included. They also refill coolers, tap kegs, empty trash, and help in numerous other tasks.

On a busy shift, we bartenders would be in the weeds without them.