Tsunami/earthquake in Japan...

I'm no nuclear engineer, but I just heard the Japanese Govt. made a statement that there have been readings taken near one of the troubled sites that were 10,000 times the normal background radiation level.

Plus, Fukushima 2 just exploded again. Again, according to them.

Actually, the on-air interpreter called it a "loud noise", so we got that going for us.

EDIT: I'm now hearing that while there is elevated radiation in some of the affected areas in the North, now they are reporting that the amount of that radiation is still less than an X-ray. I don't want to pass that 10,000 times figure on because it doesn't sound like that is accurate.

This is the latest from the NEI

UPDATE AS OF 5:30 P.M. EDT, MONDAY, MARCH 14:
Tokyo Electric Power Co. reported at 3:00 p.m. EDT that work had resumed to pump seawater into Fukushima Daiichi 2 to maintain safe cooling water levels after the utility was able to vent steam from the pressure vessel. The fuel had been exposed for 140 minutes Monday night due to a malfunctioning pressure relief valve. Water levels later went up to cover more than half of the rods.

The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission reports that the Japanese government has formally asked for assistance from the United States on nuclear power plant cooling issues triggered by the March 11 tsunami.

The agency has already sent two experts on boiling water reactor issues to Japan as part of a U.S. Agency for International Development disaster relief team. The experts now are in Tokyo providing technical assistance. The U.S. NRC is also monitoring the Japanese reactor events around the clock from its headquarters operations center in Rockville, Md.

Prior to the second exposure of the rods around 11 p.m., March 14 local time in Japan, radiation at the plant site was detected at a level twice the maximum seen so far – 313 millirem per hour, according to TEPCO.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said he believes the problem at the plant ''will not develop into a situation similar to Chernobyl,” even in the worst case.

The utility said a hydrogen explosion at the nearby No. 3 reactor that occurred Monday morning may have caused a glitch in the cooling system of the No. 2 reactor.

The hydrogen explosion at reactor 3 on March 14 injured 11 people: seven TEPCO workers at the site and four members of the country’s Self-Defense Forces. The reactor's containment vessel was not damaged and the reactor remains safely contained in its primary containment.

I am skeptical of that 10,000 times background number.

A typical chest x-ray gives you 2 milirem of dose and the typical background radiation in the US is about 300 milirem a year.

So 10,000 times background is a huge amount.

That being said, it could easily be explained by a "fuel flea". This is a term used to describe a small piece of reactor fuel that escapes from a fuel rod and gets out into the plant environment.

These are not uncommon at operating plants. They are really small particles that emit primarily alpha radiation (which is a helium nucleus).

They get out because even during normal plant operation, there is always some small amount of fuel "failure". That is a breaching of the fuel rod integrity.

BTW, I've seen some reports where the term "meltdown" has been equated with fuel failure. Personally I think that definition is far too broad and does not properly express the problems the plant is facing.

Since the core has been uncovered at these units, it is reasonable to assume that there has been some level of fuel failure. So if a flea got out and you did a survey right next to it, you'd get a huge radiation reading.

Does that make it dangerous?

As long as a source of alpha radiation is outside the body, it poses absolutely zero risk.

Pop quiz. What do you need to stop 100% of the radiation from an alpha particle?

A sheet of paper. Since you have dead skin cells thicker than that on the outside of your body, alpha emitting particle pose zero threat unless they get inside the body.

Now if this was a single flea, or even a few fleas, it still doesn't pose a threat to the general public since it can't be easily dispersed to effect multiple people.

Due to my profession (semiconductor business) I have numerous Japanese friends and colleauges. As of today everyone I know is unharmed and has lost no family. Really grateful for that. But the horror just keeps on coming. One friend has had to visit the destroyed area to evaluate a factory that was damaged and reports that he could only cry at the misery.
Life's little problems don't bother me much after this event.

Reading between the lines, and knowing the Japanese culture, particularly in the government and utility industry, this seems pretty grim:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42066534/ns/world_news-asia-pacific/
SOMA, Japan — Radiation is spewing from damaged reactors at a crippled nuclear power plant in tsunami-ravaged northeastern Japan in a dramatic escalation of the 4-day-old catastrophe. The prime minister has warned residents to stay inside or risk getting radiation sickness.

Prime Minister Naoto Kan said radiation has spread from the three reactors of the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant in one of the hardest-hit provinces in Friday's 9.0-magnitude earthquake and the ensuing tsunami. He told people living within 12 miles (20 kilometers) of the plant to evacuate and those within 19 miles (30 kilometers) to stay indoors.

"The level seems very high, and there is still a very high risk of more radiation coming out," Kan said.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said early Tuesday that a fourth reactor at the Fukushima Dai-ichi complex was on fire and that more radiation was released, but officials announced later in the day that the fire was extinguished.

"Now we are talking about levels that can damage human health. These are readings taken near the area where we believe the releases are happening. Far away, the levels should be lower," Edano said.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are rumors floating around that one of the steel, primary container units for one of the reactors has been breached in one of the explosions - that would put Fukushima Daiichi on a scale worse than Three Mile Island.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/world/asia/16workers.html
Five workers have died since the quake and 22 more have been injured for various reasons, while two are missing.

BBC is now reporting all workers have been evacuated from the plant because of rising radiation levels....not good.

Pop quiz. What do you need to stop 100% of the radiation from an alpha particle?

A sheet of paper. Since you have dead skin cells thicker than that on the outside of your body, alpha emitting particle pose zero threat unless they get inside the body.

Now if this was a single flea, or even a few fleas, it still doesn't pose a threat to the general public since it can't be easily dispersed to effect multiple people.

This reminds me of a test question from Naval Nuclear Power School:

"You've just gone to the Nuclear Bake Shop and purchased four cookies; an alpha cookie, a beta cookie, a gamma cookie, and a fast neutron cookie. You can eat one, hold one in your hand, put one in your pocket, and throw one away. What should your choices be to receive the least amount of radiation?"

I'm sure OPT knows the answer.

Certainly not in any way making light of the Japan situation, I just always remembered this from Nuke School and thought it was a clever way to ask about different penetration abilities of the particles.

OPT: Thanks for the info. No way in hell I could've taken the initiative to explain it so well and level headed.

The Gr8est: You were a Nuke? Good show.

So, TMI came to pass.

We found out that my father-in-law cracked his hip when the earthquake hit and so we are having to delay him traveling to Texas. My brother-in-law was advising my wife to not even come, just have her parents fly to Texas, but the cracked hip delayed that possibility. My wife flew over there yesterday and she says that the situation is much worse than she imagined. They are flying out to Hokkaido for about 7 days to get away from the mess, and then will likely be deciding between flying from there to Texas, or returning to Chiba first and then coming here.

It seems likely though that they are getting out of there as soon as they can. The shelves are empty in the stores that are still able to be open, they still have no water or gas, and they are enduring rolling blackouts, twice resulting in this almost 80-year old man with a cracked hip climbing 12 flights of stairs because the elevator was out.

The sidewalks are damaged near their home although she says that the roads seem okay. The trains are unreliable now too since some of them are shutdown periodically to conserve energy.

My wife loves going back to Japan to visit and stay for extended periods of time. If she is already ready to come back that tells me just how unpleasant an experience it must be.

Reading between the lines, and knowing the Japanese culture, particularly in the government and utility industry, this seems pretty grim:

A lot of westerners are not aware of the Japanese cultural concept of indirectness and how typical american directness is a major difficulty for them to deal with and so the Prime Minister's statements on the seriousness of the situtation are particularly disturbing.

Listening to their news direct translations was almost comically polite in the early stages of this disaster, but this is no time to be worrying about hurting anyone's feelings.

They need to get some american nuclear expert rude, get-er-done-now assholes in there STAT, pay attention to them and worry about saving face later.

Bad news..It seems the spent fuel rods are totally exposed and the pool is dry,which happens to be next to the reactor with plutonium,which means Workers are being exposed to lethal doses of Radiation,and its getting to the point of a Chernobyl Level disaster......Japan is in serious serious trouble........

On one of my other forums, there is a user who married someone from Japan and has a baby. He is in the Navy and his wife and baby went home apparently. He was on deployment when the quake happened and has not responded whether his wife and baby are okay or anything. The only thing that I can think of is that either his ship has been sent to help in Japan or his ship is replacing another ship who got sent to Japan and it might be on lockdown on communications.

Would you do it again? (Nukes)

+ tough, purposeful, room to grow, etc

- no shore leave, rads, tough

etc, etc...

Knowing what I know now I would consider the Naval Nuclear power field again, but I would make sure that I had more control over the situation than I did before.

When you are joining the Navy that is the one time that you are in control. If they don't give you what you want then you don't sign. It doesn't matter what the recruiter or anyone says, if it isn't in writing it doesn't mean anything.

When I was in, there were four different areas of specialty that you could be in in the nuke field; reactor operator, electrical operator, interior communications operator, and mechanical operator. Eventually interior communications operator was merged into the electrical operator so that there were only three ratings.

I wanted to be a reactor operator or an electrical operator and did not want to be a mechanical operator. My recruiter told me that with my test scores he was sure that I would be a reactor operator. Note the lack of "in writing" qualifier here, also note that the recruiters CAN guarantee an applicant the mechanical operator rating but not any of the other ratings; there IS a pattern here.

("Warning! Warning! Danger Will Robinson!)

So anyway I sign up and off to boot camp I go.

When the time comes, all of the nuke candidates are instructed to complete a survey listing the order of desired rating, since I didn't want mechanical operator I listed ET (RO), EM (EO), IC (EO), and finally MM (MO). They told us they would match our desires with the infamous "needs of the "Navy", and come back with our assigned ratings.

A few weeks later our assignments came back and yes, I was assigned the non-negotiable mechanical operator. Now my boot camp company was one of 12 sister boot camp companies, and when all 12 companies were considered, 75% of the nuke candidates were assigned MM, while the remaining 25% were assigned EO or IC. there were NO reactor assigned in any of the 12 sister companies.

I would not allow the Navy to have that power again.

Now the training itself was really tremendous, and the people who I worked with and trained with are the best people you will ever know. I had a gr8 deal of regard and respect for them and still do.

The training was arduous and I always heard that there was roughly an 80% wash out rate from the time of enlistment until you get to your first ship, so just graduating and getting a nuclear NEC is a major accomplishment, so I am justifiably proud of getting a 2.54 on my final comp (minimum 2.50 is passing), and graduating 200 out of 204 graduates; that is still top 20%.

I got behind at the beginning and that was a mistake because you are given extra work to "help" you, while still having to keep up with the ongoing work load. I managed to survive, but at the end of the 26 weeks that entailed the first half of our training, I was putting in at least 3 all-nighters each week, where we literally did not sleep and stayed up studying. Maybe part of the qualification was seeing if we could endure the training while being stationed in Orlando, Florida; good times WERE had by all. :whip:

Anyway, I couldn't have physically handled it much longer, in fact, some people were dropped from the program because they literally could no longer stay awake.

The second part of the training involved nuclear prototype where you go and operate an actual nuclear reactor somewhere in the boonies where you won't kill anyone if you melt down. I went to Idaho Falls, Idaho for prototype, and learning from my first half, I made sure to get ahead and stay ahead and it was a much more enjoyable experience.

After graduation I went to the USS Sandlance SSN-660, a fast attack submarine out of Charleston, South Carolina. The best "ship" that I was ever on, where I lasted two years before my division chief got me removed from the nuclear program. Unfortunately, one thing that you have no control over is who you get as your leadership, and for better or worse it is just luck of the draw. My first chief was tremendous, my second....not so much

Which brings up another drawback of the nuke program. There are extremely high bonuses paid for nukes to reenlist ( I never did reenlist as a nuke). When I was a nuke it was a maximum of $20,000 per reenlistment, it was later up to $40,000 and it may even be double that now. The drawback potentially comes if you lose your nuclear qualification. Since the removal of your NEC is an administrative action, not a disciplinary action, it is something that you cannot appeal. If you lose your NEC, you no longer qualify for the bonus and you will have to pay it back, but you will still serve the years that you reenlisted for as the convention version of your nuclear rating, for example, conventional steam mechanic as opposed to nuclear mechanical operator. Both are still the MM rating.

Having worked with recent ex-nukes in the civilian world,I have heard that even with these ultra high bonuses there is still not that high a reenlistment rate since there is the risk of losing the NEC, the job is extremely arduous, and the civilian world will hire ex-nukes and pay them well.

Now life on a submarine is interesting, there were no women on subs when I was there although there are now. The maximum crew size was somewhere around 120, and there are not enough beds for everyone, so when you first get there you will "hot rack" where you will share a bed with one other person, or two beds between three people. Your watch rotation is arranged so that you always have a rack/bed available if you are otherwise lucky enough to be able to use it.

An uninterrupted nights sleep is a rare thing with the omnipresent drills and I do not remember them fondly. The subs have an closed air circuit and you can put a device, like a gas mask, on your head and you breath by plugging
the attached hose into a port in the air system. You may have to wake up for a drill and immediately don an EAB (affectionately called a "face leach") and spend some time in it. You may even have to stand your watch wearing an EAB for extended periods of time, unplugging, moving to another port, and plugging in again as you do your job. Or you may hear an alarm and someone say "Toxic Gas!", and then out of a dead sleep you need to wake up and don a gas mask in a matter of mere seconds or die. Not real fun.

It's funny but sometimes the things that would seem to be bad parts of the experience I don't remember now as negatives. For example, I remember spending Thanksgiving and Christmas under water one year when I was on deployment, but getting to visit some of the ports I did and some of the experiences that I had made up for it.

I had some gr8 times and experiences in the navy and made some gr8 friends, but now that I am out I really don't miss it at all.

Although the two weeks in the Philippines on TAD with the fleet out and only working every other day leave me a bit nostalgic. :whip::whip::whip:

Back