UK NFL Games

Roberto71

Reaction score
I'm reading some bad reports from fans who went to the Jags-Finns game in London. Many had to leave as a lot of drunkards were throwing full beer cups at other fans, hitting small kids etc. Kids crying, asking their folks can they leave etc.

Many said the atmosphere was horrible. Seems for a chunk of people going, it was an excuse to so on a major drinking session. The main UK NFL anchor on SkySports, Neil Reynolds, said his young family had to leave and many were laughing at them as they left. He's disgusted.

I don't want to appear like I'm having a go at the English here, Gomezcat might get offended but the English are the worst drinkers in the world. They always go OTT and get aggressive and just can't handle it. The European Championship Final in Wembley this past summer was disgraceful. Drunken yobs broke in without tickets and made life hell for everyone with fighting and other fans having to leave. Disabled kids were knocked out of wheelchairs, you name it.

This needs to be sorted out or London could lose these games. It won't happen in Germany and the demand there is apparently through the roof for games to go there.

well one reason i hate going to games in the u.s. is all the drunks...i think it's just the devolving of human behavior...period. people don't respect others anymore.

I'm reading some bad reports from fans who went to the Jags-Finns game in London. Many had to leave as a lot of drunkards were throwing full beer cups at other fans, hitting small kids etc. Kids crying, asking their folks can they leave etc.

Many said the atmosphere was horrible. Seems for a chunk of people going, it was an excuse to so on a major drinking session. The main UK NFL anchor on SkySports, Neil Reynolds, said his young family had to leave and many were laughing at them as they left. He's disgusted.

I don't want to appear like I'm having a go at the English here, Gomezcat might get offended but the English are the worst drinkers in the world. They always go OTT and get aggressive and just can't handle it. The European Championship Final in Wembley this past summer was disgraceful. Drunken yobs broke in without tickets and made life hell for everyone with fighting and other fans having to leave. Disabled kids were knocked out of wheelchairs, you name it.

This needs to be sorted out or London could lose these games. It won't happen in Germany and the demand there is apparently through the roof for games to go there.

Nope, I'm not offended because it's the truth. I'm from the North West, but now live in London. Going for a drink in this country can be pretty unpleasant. One thing I would say, though, is that other British places are pretty ropey as well.

well one reason i hate going to games in the u.s. is all the drunks...i think it's just the devolving of human behavior...period. people don't respect others anymore.
I've never understood why people spend money for game tickets, and then go and get drunk and rowdy.
The atmosphere now at Gillette is much better than years ago at the old Foxboro Stadium by far. Yet there are still those who selfishly ruin the stadium game experience for others by getting uncontrollable drunk and its a shame.

I've never understood why people spend money for game tickets, and then go and get drunk and rowdy.
The atmosphere now at Gillette is much better than years ago at the old Foxboro Stadium by far. Yet there are still those who selfishly ruin the stadium game experience for others by getting uncontrollable drunk and its a shame.
While risking their own or another's season tickets Aside from selfish disrespectful it is also stupid.

Nope, I'm not offended because it's the truth. I'm from the North West, but now live in London. Going for a drink in this country can be pretty unpleasant. One thing I would say, though, is that other British places are pretty ropey as well.
I have no idea what ropey means but this sounds like the opposite of the image I see on many BBC productions that show the local pub as a good place to go to to have a think???

Throwing full beers? That is completely out of line. Kidding, but I saw plenty of promos on NFLnetwork that suggested that British fans wearing random NFL jerseys go on pub crawls and all get along splendidly. Like it is traditional to drink up before NFL games, as opposed to Futbol where the patrons prefer to stay hydrated with plenty of good spring water. As if.

I think the main thing that has to be addressed is that it's not like Wembley has never seen rowdy behavior before. NFL fans can act like morons, but I think it's clear that international Futbol gets the worst crop of violent fans of any sport, so there is no excuse for not having adequate security there. I'm not really sure if they thought that since Italian supporters (for instance) weren't coming to town looking for revenge then they could all relax and take extra smoke breaks or something. That NFL football is kind of like a Track and Field meet but with more padding.

Everybody that walks into their seat in that stadium should be made aware of where the nearest security people are stationed and they should be highly visible and ready to drop the hammer to prevent the loonies from being encouraged that they'll get away with mayhem. You never engage them personally even if it is well-deserved. Get the people who get paid to control the crowd to do exactly that---- control the crowd. This is important all around the stadium and in parking or public transportation. You have to be ready, willing and able to respond quickly and the word will get around even among the worst knuckle-draggers that going all Clockwork Orange is not going to go well for them and you do that with a show of force.

Then there is always the option of shutting down the beer taps and trimming the bottom line. You know, make the people who know how to behave pay for the actions of the ones who don't. That's how things usually go in the U.S.

One thing I've always been shocked at is the organizational capabilities of the futbol hooligans. They can form a defacto army in nothing flat. You don't really see that over here.

Throwing full beers? That is completely out of line. Kidding, but I saw plenty of promos on NFLnetwork that suggested that British fans wearing random NFL jerseys go on pub crawls and all get along splendidly. Like it is traditional to drink up before NFL games, as opposed to Futbol where the patrons prefer to stay hydrated with plenty of good spring water. As if.

I think the main thing that has to be addressed is that it's not like Wembley has never seen rowdy behavior before. NFL fans can act like morons, but I think it's clear that international Futbol gets the worst crop of violent fans of any sport, so there is no excuse for not having adequate security there. I'm not really sure if they thought that since Italian supporters (for instance) weren't coming to town looking for revenge then they could all relax and take extra smoke breaks or something. That NFL football is kind of like a Track and Field meet but with more padding.

Everybody that walks into their seat in that stadium should be made aware of where the nearest security people are stationed and they should be highly visible and ready to drop the hammer to prevent the loonies from being encouraged that they'll get away with mayhem. You never engage them personally even if it is well-deserved. Get the people who get paid to control the crowd to do exactly that---- control the crowd. This is important all around the stadium and in parking or public transportation. You have to be ready, willing and able to respond quickly and the word will get around even among the worst knuckle-draggers that going all Clockwork Orange is not going to go well for them and you do that with a show of force.

Then there is always the option of shutting down the beer taps and trimming the bottom line. You know, make the people who know how to behave pay for the actions of the ones who don't. That's how things usually go in the U.S.

One thing I've always been shocked at is the organizational capabilities of the futbol hooligans. They can form a defacto army in nothing flat. You don't really see that over here.
Yeah. For NFL games, I think they just have stewards and not that much in the way of Police inside the ground. My recollection is that the Police are mainly outside, keeping an eye for overcrowding etc.

The rowdiness hasn't been a problem before, as far as I know. In fact, the NFL in the UK generally attracts people who cause trouble on the field but behave off it. If that has changed, then the policing will have to change with it. Having said that, they're overstretched as it is.

I suspect it was some drunken idiocy rather than the full on hooligan stuff. That's not me condoning it, as it's horrible for other people. Like you said, it needs to be stamped out.

I work near a soccer stadium and games are categorised according to their risk. For some games, you will see a copper standing on the corner (with others around for backup if needed) whereas for others, there are van loads of guys in fireproofs, with their riot gear to hand. It's fair to say that I hurry along to the Tube station when I see the latter!

I really hope the NFL games don't end up going down the soccer route.

Yeah. For NFL games, I think they just have stewards and not that much in the way of Police inside the ground. My recollection is that the Police are mainly outside, keeping an eye for overcrowding etc.

The rowdiness hasn't been a problem before, as far as I know. In fact, the NFL in the UK generally attracts people who cause trouble on the field but behave off it. If that has changed, then the policing will have to change with it. Having said that, they're overstretched as it is.

I suspect it was some drunken idiocy rather than the full on hooligan stuff. That's not me condoning it, as it's horrible for other people. Like you said, it needs to be stamped out.

I work near a soccer stadium and games are categorised according to their risk. For some games, you will see a copper standing on the corner (with others around for backup if needed) whereas for others, there are van loads of guys in fireproofs, with their riot gear to hand. It's fair to say that I hurry along to the Tube station when I see the latter!

I really hope the NFL games don't end up going down the soccer route.
GB is pretty Good. But I remember Death and Destruction in SA in days gone by.

Cheers

Back