Upcoming new shows

Looking forward to Nov 7th and season 4 of Yellowstone. Just started watching Invasion on Netflix, watched the first 2 episodes and it has a Signs kinda vibe to it. We'll be watching the prequel and sequels to Yellowstone when they come out as well.

I just randomly remembered a show I really liked, or at least it grabbed me and then I either lost track of it, it got cancelled, or both. Had an ensemble cast led by....whatsername, the blonde Others doctor from Lost and a guy with a Kevin Costner vibe.

Basically, nanobots permanently fry every circuit on earth, then fast forward like 5 or 10 years and see what's up. It was weird.

Am I imagining this show, or was it a real thing?

I just randomly remembered a show I really liked, or at least it grabbed me and then I either lost track of it, it got cancelled, or both. Had an ensemble cast led by....whatsername, the blonde Others doctor from Lost and a guy with a Kevin Costner vibe.

Basically, nanobots permanently fry every circuit on earth, then fast forward like 5 or 10 years and see what's up. It was weird.

Am I imagining this show, or was it a real thing?
A guess based on your very vague clues...

Gonna start watching See with Jason Mamoa and Davie Bautista. Looks quite interesting and my buddy, as weird as he is, gives it a thumbs up.

"Far in a dystopian future, the human race has lost the sense of sight, and society has had to find new ways to interact, build, hunt, and to survive. All of that is challenged when a set of twins are born with sight."

A guess based on your very vague clues...

That's it! I'd totally forgotten that Giancarlo Esposito was in that, too. I wonder if it was actually any good, just had a premise that hooked me but couldn't sustain it, or just caught me at the right moment. Maybe I'll see if I can stream it somewhere.

I do remember hating the younger female lead, though - Tracy Spiradakos. Zero charisma, zero talent. Just couldn't wait for her to get off the screen.

Thanks.

There is an app called Just Watch that I highly recommend if you use multiple different streaming services. You search a show or a movie, and it tells you which services have it for free and which you can buy or rent from. Customizable with an account as well.

'Revolution' is not currently available for free anywhere.

But here is 'Lost' as an example.

Screenshot_20211028-084958_JustWatch.jpg

There is an app called Just Watch that I highly recommend if you use multiple different streaming services. You search a show or a movie, and it tells you which services have it for free and which you can buy or rent from. Customizable with an account as well.

'Revolution' is not currently available for free anywhere.

But here is 'Lost' as an example.

View attachment 7662
That's ridiculous! Why would anyone, under any circumstances, put themselves in the position of having only 1 season of LOST available? Don't watch it at all? Fine. Watch a couple episodes and bail because it's not your thing? Fine. But who TF watches to the end of season 1 and is like, "cool story, bro! I'm all set"? Why would you even start it if your service only had season 1?

But seriously, this is a great app. I pulled it when you mentioned it in the past - very handy. I've noticed a couple of inaccuracies at times, but not enough to worry about, and that's usually the sort of thing they're actively working to improve. :Thumb emoji:

I'll throw out a couple of recommendations on the sci-fi/fantasy end of things that may appeal to Wheel of Time fans in case you missed them or didn't get around to watching. All are on Netflix.

1. Shadow and Bone -- one season with season 2 on the way. It's a young adult sort of show that I enjoyed because it had a weird Russian vibe to it's world, the characters were likeable and I thought it it looked great. I have no idea what the critics say about it, but I was already a fan of the author (Leigh Bardugo -- Ninth House) and I found this show an imaginative escape and a satisfying watch.

2. The Witcher -- one season with season 2 dropping soon and a spin-off animated series. I really enoyed The Witcher, which stars Henry Cavill in an excellent performance as a monster killer for hire. The theme is that sometimes the real monsters aren't the ones you think. Another great-looking show that grows on you. Definitely not for kids as it has some raunchy scenes and T&A, but
I found it good fun.

3. The Magicians -- Kind of a Harry Potter goes to College theme with some smokeshow actresses and some high-level, snappy dialogue throughout it's 7 seasons (I think). It's a challenging
show with a lot of jumping between worlds and timelines, so it can be complex to follow, but I cared about the core characters and found the sarcastic and saucy wit made this show bingeworthy, especially the world-weary/graphic one-liners of Margo. It's uneven at times, but I got hooked and know others that did as well.

I'll throw out a couple of recommendations on the sci-fi/fantasy end of things that may appeal to Wheel of Time fans in case you missed them or didn't get around to watching. All are on Netflix.

1. Shadow and Bone -- one season with season 2 on the way. It's a young adult sort of show that I enjoyed because it had a weird Russian vibe to it's world, the characters were likeable and I thought it it looked great. I have no idea what the critics say about it, but I was already a fan of the author (Leigh Bardugo -- Ninth House) and I found this show an imaginative escape and a satisfying watch.

2. The Witcher -- one season with season 2 dropping soon and a spin-off animated series. I really enoyed The Witcher, which stars Henry Cavill in an excellent performance as a monster killer for hire. The theme is that sometimes the real monsters aren't the ones you think. Another great-looking show that grows on you. Definitely not for kids as it has some raunchy scenes and T&A, but
I found it good fun.

3. The Magicians -- Kind of a Harry Potter goes to College theme with some smokeshow actresses and some high-level, snappy dialogue throughout it's 7 seasons (I think). It's a challenging
show with a lot of jumping between worlds and timelines, so it can be complex to follow, but I cared about the core characters and found the sarcastic and saucy wit made this show bingeworthy, especially the world-weary/graphic one-liners of Margo. It's uneven at times, but I got hooked and know others that did as well.
Is Shadow and Bone based off The Mortal Instruments books?

Is Shadow and Bone based off The Mortal Instruments books?
Not familiar with those, but I know Shadow and Bone was the name of Bardugo's first novel. I've only read Ninth House, which
was excellent and involved a secret society at Yale University based on the well-known Skull and Bones club. The girl can write.

Can you process at least good/bad impressions yet?

Definitely positive.

The showrunner has a difficult job. It's a 700 page book (The Eye of the World) that Amazon only gave him 8 episodes to tell. On top of that, so much of Robert Jordan's writing of the story took place inside the character's thoughts. Very difficult to change medium on that.

It's a high quality, high budget production, that stays true to the spirit of the original story. The casting of the characters is damn near perfect.

So.... It's a different turning of the Wheel. Same overall story, but there are some changes that had to be made to tell it in ways that made sense.

Also watched with someone who hasn't read them, and they liked it very much.

Going to watch again today. I definitely recommend.

Back