Video Games Thread

Joe

Registered Loser
Reaction score
I'm almost certain that it's a very small demographic here, but wanted to get a thread started for anyone here into video games. Outside of Patriots football this is my biggest/only hobby or interest. Got a pretty decent collection of games on Xbox One, with my eyes on a few more coming out this year including:

1. The Division

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N8lveDri3eU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bLSmEJqfZ9o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Halo 5: Guardians

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ht7pwc_LIrc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Star Wars Battlefront 3

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q3BctD4dOMQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Rainbow Six: Siege

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4hd3X3Mesy8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm mostly a console guy. Grew up with the "tradition" so computer gaming is kind of secondary to me. What are you into?
Posted via Mobile Device

RTS's mostly and some FPS's

Well, this thread kinda transitioned into a Dragon Age: Inqusition topic.

But I'm looking forward to The Witcher 3 which is due out in mid May.

Gaming monster here. Master of Pong, Tetris, The Pacman franchise, Super Mario franchise. Sims Franchise, Myst and the greatest game ever, Monty Python's Complete Waste of Time. Eat my dust. :coffee:

Cheers, BostonTim

Well, this thread kinda transitioned into a Dragon Age: Inqusition topic.

But I'm looking forward to The Witcher 3 which is due out in mid May.

I haven't played any of the Witcher series but I saw some gameplay of it and it looks fantastic. Looking forward to that one, it kind of seems like a Skyrim type game which is one of my all-time favorites

I was pretty excited for the Elder Scrolls game until I found out that they would be charging an online fee. I have a PS4 collecting dust right now and I might not play it again until Black Ops III comes out.

How do you like the Witcher series?

I think it's one of the better franchises out there. I'd put it in my top 5.

The other four would include (not in order): Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and Knights of the Old Republic (Restored versions)

It was the first RPG I every played where it was worthwhile to pay attention to the civilians walking around in the background.

Normally they just randomly walk about and don't say anything notable. In The Witcher, they behave much more like what you'd think average folk would do and say things that are appropriate and funny as hell at times.

They also did a better job than most of having a game where your decisions actually make a difference. Not simply as points on the good vs. evil status bar, but have significant impact on how non RPC's behave and how the game unfolds.

From the reviews I've read, they've raised the bar even higher in this regard in #3.

Another review I read says that it is an open ended world, like Skyrim, but that the story is much more compelling and interlinked.

I never finished Skyrim because I got bored with it.

I think it's one of the better franchises out there. I'd put it in my top 5.

The other four would include (not in order): Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and Knights of the Old Republic (Restored versions)

It was the first RPG I every played where it was worthwhile to pay attention to the civilians walking around in the background.

Normally they just randomly walk about and don't say anything notable. In The Witcher, they behave much more like what you'd think average folk would do and say things that are appropriate and funny as hell at times.

They also did a better job than most of having a game where your decisions actually make a difference. Not simply as points on the good vs. evil status bar, but have significant impact on how non RPC's behave and how the game unfolds.

From the reviews I've read, they've raised the bar even higher in this regard in #3.

Another review I read says that it is an open ended world, like Skyrim, but that the story is much more compelling and interlinked.

I never finished Skyrim because I got bored with it.

I've played Dragon Age Inquisition a little bit and it's just not grabbing me. I try to force my way through it hoping it gets better for me but it just hasn't done it for me--primarily because I don't quite understand how creating your own weapons and armor works. The whole thing just confuses me. In Skyrim I know it's: find ores, create stuff, level up, find ores to create better stuff, level up, etc. Here it's like...you don't make your own stuff, technically a vendor does, you have to find hidden materials to make stuff which isn't any better than the stuff you already have, I'm not sure how much I have to "make" before I get to the good things. I don't even know if a vendor will be able to make better things or if I won't be able to find such a vendor until I progress further into the story.

Maybe once I've gotten tired of Destiny I will hit it up for a weekend and really get into it and finally start understanding the game more. But for now it's just a lot of running around with not much of an idea for what's going on.

I've played Dragon Age Inquisition a little bit and it's just not grabbing me. I try to force my way through it hoping it gets better for me but it just hasn't done it for me--primarily because I don't quite understand how creating your own weapons and armor works. The whole thing just confuses me. In Skyrim I know it's: find ores, create stuff, level up, find ores to create better stuff, level up, etc. Here it's like...you don't make your own stuff, technically a vendor does, you have to find hidden materials to make stuff which isn't any better than the stuff you already have, I'm not sure how much I have to "make" before I get to the good things. I don't even know if a vendor will be able to make better things or if I won't be able to find such a vendor until I progress further into the story.

Maybe once I've gotten tired of Destiny I will hit it up for a weekend and really get into it and finally start understanding the game more. But for now it's just a lot of running around with not much of an idea for what's going on.

Did you play any of the earlier versions of DA?

If no, then I can see how the story may not grab you. If you did, and your world state reflects your previous games, then the story takes on a lot more meaning.

The consequences of what you did before effect how the story plays out in DA:I.

Regarding crafting, it took me a bit to properly grasp how to do it right, so don't feel bad.

The way it works is pretty simple.

You need a recipe and your ingredients.

You get the recipes from merchants or as loot.

To craft something, you go to the smith, much as you did in Skyrim, and use his forge/equipment to craft the stuff.

You use metals, leather, cloth, etc. to craft any item, and what you get depends on what material you put in any slot. How good the items is depends significantly one what material you make it from.

So when you're oot and aboot, it pays to pick up all the metal and leather that you come across.

There were times that I went hunting with a bow to gather leather from specific critters just to use in crafting.

Some items let you add attachments to them that further enhance their stats. For example swords can have a grip or pommel added that provide additional bonuses.

I normally would do a quick save before I started to craft something, so if I screwed up, I could start over.

You definitely want to craft stuff, since the best equipment in the game is crafted, not found or bought.

Did you play any of the earlier versions of DA?

If no, then I can see how the story may not grab you. If you did, and your world state reflects your previous games, then the story takes on a lot more meaning.

The consequences of what you did before effect how the story plays out in DA:I.

Regarding crafting, it took me a bit to properly grasp how to do it right, so don't feel bad.

The way it works is pretty simple.

You need a recipe and your ingredients.

You get the recipes from merchants or as loot.

To craft something, you go to the smith, much as you did in Skyrim, and use his forge/equipment to craft the stuff.

You use metals, leather, cloth, etc. to craft any item, and what you get depends on what material you put in any slot. How good the items is depends significantly one what material you make it from.

So when you're oot and aboot, it pays to pick up all the metal and leather that you come across.

There were times that I went hunting with a bow to gather leather from specific critters just to use in crafting.

Some items let you add attachments to them that further enhance their stats. For example swords can have a grip or pommel added that provide additional bonuses.

I normally would do a quick save before I started to craft something, so if I screwed up, I could start over.

You definitely want to craft stuff, since the best equipment in the game is crafted, not found or bought.

Nope, did not play it before. So that may be why I don't understand the whole crawling-out-of-destruction thing and why everyone hates me lol. It's at least good to know that what you craft depends entirely on materials. I'm assuming you find better materials further on in the game which is ok with me

Nope, did not play it before. So that may be why I don't understand the whole crawling-out-of-destruction thing and why everyone hates me lol. It's at least good to know that what you craft depends entirely on materials. I'm assuming you find better materials further on in the game which is ok with me

Your character in DA:I is not from the previous games, however, most of the other NPC's are.

Leliana was a potential romance option in Dragon Age: Origins, and a bad ass archer to boot.

Varric and Cassandra are in DAII, although Cassandra isn't an NPC, but is "interviewing" Varric to find out what happened in Kirkwall (the setting of DAII)

Cullen was in DA:O and DA:II, but in relatively minor roles.

Not having played the earlier games, you're going to have some difficulty understanding who's who, and what's what, since most of the back story about all the various nations, groups, etc. have already been established.

Regarding crafting, there are three tiers of material and recipes, and the description of each item tells you what tier it is.

One other thing, make sure you hang onto any "fade touched" material you come across. That adds additional powers to tier 2 and 3 items and some of them are really sweet.

Gronk is a candidate for the next cover of Madden. But, as we all know, hell will probably freeze over before a Patriot wins a popularity contest amongst fan voters

I was actually excited for Black Ops III after the disaster that was Modern Warfare. Then they released the trailer. Would it be too much to ask for some good old Modern Warfare? I'm not digging this flying through the air and climbing walls crap.

I've been gaming for decades and really enjoy it. Why else would I game for so long?
I've got a steam account and I own a few consoles. My most recent games have been Bloodborne and Darksouls II. Love the challenge.

Back