Warren Sharp Explains the Exploding Patriot Salary Cap Bomb Left by Ziegler/McDaniels

There are no good options down the road with Jonnu. Either eat a terrible cap hit in a trade or cut next year, or restructure locking him in for many years at still double digit cap numbers annually. Reminds me of when the Adalius contract screwed the team for a couple years. This stuff does matter. Not only in losing good players like JC Jackson, Shaq, or Karras, but also in ability to make other moves.

There are no good options down the road with Jonnu. Either eat a terrible cap hit in a trade or cut next year, or restructure locking him in for many years at still double digit cap numbers annually. Reminds me of when the Adalius contract screwed the team for a couple years. This stuff does matter. Not only in losing good players like JC Jackson, Shaq, or Karras, but also in ability to make other moves.
They are in amazing cap shape. They can absolutely absorb the hit next year without significant problem. In fact, if they had a way to shift more of it to next year to retain flexibility the following season I suspect they would have done that instead.

I agree. Terrible contract that has cost the roster. Also hanging on to Gilmore too long and getting a terrible return.

I thought that was Brady Planet.
You are right of course, and I thought so too. But The band seems to have gotten back together to amp up the assault on BB. We know this is directly related to brady, but sticking to just BB without mention of Tommyboy, they can pretend they have plausible deniability. :coffee:

Cheers

This topic may be especially relevant end of year when revisiting contracts and who to keep/let-go.

1. Wynn’s extension was a disaster. Team could have kept Shaq Mason and/or Karras. Then wouldn’t have needed to burn a 1st for Strange. Could have drafted Devin Lloyd or Dax Hill or Davis the NT.

2. Jonnu Smith I believe has less than 2 catches through 4 games and is due to make 17M next year and 18M the year after

This topic may be especially relevant end of year when revisiting contracts and who to keep/let-go.

1. Wynn’s extension was a disaster. Team could have kept Shaq Mason and/or Karras. Then wouldn’t have needed to burn a 1st for Strange. Could have drafted Devin Lloyd or Dax Hill or Davis the NT.

2. Jonnu Smith I believe has less than 2 catches through 4 games and is due to make 17M next year and 18M the year after

It was a “disaster”, eh?

🤔

Back