Watson now suspended for 11 games and $5M fine

The NFL has just filed its appeal.
Of course they did, they have to give the impression that they care. Now my question is if the appeal is successful does that mean Watson can then appeal the appeal, and actually be allowed to play while it drags out? Assuming he's not put on the exemptions list that is.

Of course they did, they have to give the impression that they care. Now my question is if the appeal is successful does that mean Watson can then appeal the appeal, and actually be allowed to play while it drags out?
I just wrote this on another forum. He did not have a choice, not cause he wanted to but he did not have a choice to do the right thing. I'm not going to give Roger any damn credit about caring for females. He has never done in the past, here's his chance to maybe do this right. And while everyone says the league will give longer suspension I'm not gonna give this man any credit until I see it done.

I too was wondering about the 2nd part of your post.

This is going to get messy. The NFLPA just announced they are going to sue the NFL in Federal court over the appeal.

For once, the NFL may come out of this looking the better party.

Last edited:
This is going to get messy. The NFLPA just announced they are going to sue the NFL in Federasl court over the appeal.

For one, the NFL may come out of this looking the better party.

The NFLPA is suing the NFL for following the NFLPA endorsed contract?

The NFLPA is suing the NFL for following the NFLPA endorsed contract?

Yeah, I don’t know where they’re coming from with this. Maybe for not living by the Judge's decision as she stated she was acting completely within the agreement between the two sides and imposed the maximum punishment for non-violent sexual conduct. She also said she couldn’t impose a larger suspension as it would represent such a drastic change in policy that it would have to be discussed and advised to the NFLPA as a matter of fairness.

I think her wording in her report may make it very difficult for the NFL in a Federal Court, but if it’s ironclad that Roger still has the final say then no court could realistically go against that surely?

Last edited:
Yeah, I don’t know where they’re coming from with this. Maybe for not living by the Judge;s decision as she stated she was acting completely within the agreement between the two sides and imposed the maximum punishment for non violent sexual conduct. She also said she couldn’t impose a larger suspension as it would represent such a drastic change in policy that it would have to be discussed and advised to the NFLPA as a matter of fairness.

I think her wording in her report may make it very difficult for the NFL in a Federal Court, but if it’s ironclad that Roger still has the final say then no court could realistically go against that surely?
Based on.... <ahem> experience, it seems the commish can do whatever he wants.

I largely respect her views, but not in this case.

Of course they did, they have to give the impression that they care. Now my question is if the appeal is successful does that mean Watson can then appeal the appeal, and actually be allowed to play while it drags out? Assuming he's not put on the exemptions list that is.
Interesting, since he and the NFLPA already 'accepted' a 6 game suspension per their comment yesterday. Maybe he serves 6 games and then comes back while the appeal goes on?

Although the other interesting point is that if this appeal goes into 2023, his salary is going to go way up from the $2.7 mil or whatever it is this year. He'll be on the hook for the new salary.

Interesting, since he and the NFLPA already 'accepted' a 6 game suspension per their comment yesterday. Maybe he serves 6 games and then comes back while the appeal goes on?

Although the other interesting point is that if this appeal goes into 2023, his salary is going to go way up from the $2.7 mil or whatever it is this year. He'll be on the hook for the new salary.
Right and I remember reading a while back that even if he gets suspended for the entire 2022 season he would only lose 1 million of his entire contract. So whether it's 6 or 17 games he probably won't appeal.

ls04hkj5rbf91.png

So the NFL is appealing the suspension ruling and the NFLPA is suing the NFL over it, pretty sure I heard that the latest CBA gives the NFL (e.g. the Commissioner or someone he appoints) the sole power of judgement in the event of an appeal, whether initiated by the PA or the NFL itself.

Surely this is a fairly cut and dry case legally speaking?

So the NFL is appealing the suspension ruling and the NFLPA is suing the NFL over it, pretty sure I heard that the latest CBA gives the NFL (e.g. the Commissioner or someone he appoints) the sole power of judgement in the event of an appeal, whether initiated by the PA or the NFL itself.

Surely this is a fairly cut and dry case legally speaking?
It is. But so was Defamegate.

Back