We got JuJu!

Meyers is the only WR drafted by this franchise in 12 years who was worth a damn and they let him walk to sign an overrated washed JAG. At least Meyers was homegrown.
At least you're consistent. I'll give you that.

Are you calling juju a retread? Curious.

Ironically, Jakobi Meyers is the best recent example of the Patriots finding a wide receiver and developing him. UDFA.
a guy at 26 on his 3rd team who was a 2nd rounder is someone who gives me pause. i've defended them with guys like meyers, edelperson, branch, mitchell who i think would have been great, etc. and i not someone who thinks they need an OMGWTFBBQ11!a1! star wr! but it's a position they do value differently and it can be a slog.

I was thinking recently, they should focus on what they have and make sure Thornton puts up 800+ yards next year and Bourne puts up 800+ yards. Otherwise Thornton was a 2nd round bust pick. Maximize time coaching this kid up, make Thornton a focus for the staff. His skill set is a deep threat, deep route tree guy who can release and attack the deep corners. Thornton isn’t a short field player and also too frail. Bourne is the intermediate guy, put up elite WR metrics before landing in Fatt Matt’s doghouse.

I agree with you and raise your thought to coaching up ALL the WRs in their specific roles to maximize their talents into production.
Bourne and Thornton aren't the only ones.

Parker has talent at the intermediate level from boundary to boundary. He's also capable of sideline catches 20-30 yds deep from double moves but Mac needs time to throw.
JJSS can play from Slot, flanker or boundary. He's obviously a BOB selection so BOB already has a plan for him. He should be able to take over much of what Meyers did.

Then there are the youngsters: Tre Nixon, Lyn Bowden and Raleigh Webb. Bowden has 4 years in the league so this is an impt year for him to make big progress.

Most important, every WR needs to be pushed to be motivated to help Mac anyway they can. That's why they are here so focus on helping Mac on every play. Push them all hard to improve releases, cuts, pacing, body control, tracking...all the nuances of running a good route. Then use the jugs machine to improve hands. Teach them against the defenses they see and the option routes available for every defense for every play. Then test them to make sure they've got it. Get Troy Brown a megaphone if necessary to raise the volume of his voice.

This is a big year for everyone and especially for Mac, BB and BOB. Plan ahead. Get it right. The division is tougher than it's been in many years.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Homers. Up until 12 hours ago were making up stuff about how maybe Meyers didn’t want to be here or chose elsewhere (see his own tweet). Or how the Pats want YAC (then why underuse Bourne and Jonnu).

This was not a net positive, it’s bringing Jakobi-like production with more volatile personality, less leadership, less durability/reliability, and also risk if JuJu can even pick up the playbook seamlessly.
The Pats just let one of their best homegrown , reliable, locker room leaders go. Following the losing Red Sox playbook now I see
Your correct this board Does have homers. It also has Brady Era Fans. Every post is a Negative & F BB . I liked Myers he's a #3 option. That was forced to be #1. He could excell in Vegas. Adams is the #1 option.
I see Juju as a Good #2 possession option. I still want that exposive Quickness WR. That would perfect O'Brien offense.

Last edited:
Here. In 2019 and 2020 JuJu couldn’t even beat out younger guys. Had poor yards per reception and did not emerge as a leader in a young WR corps. Jakobi produced despite having garbage around him and still getting catches against #1 receivers

First of all, Juju isn't and never was a WR1.

2nd, you're really using 2019 to assess his abilities? A year when he played injured for much of the year? A year in which Ben played 2 games and Mason Rudolph was their QB?

3rd, in 2020, Juju was terrific. 97 rec., over 800 yds and 9 TDs with a gimpy Big Ben throwing the ball. 2nd rnd pick Chase Claypool caught the league napping. He and Diontae Johnson both had big years but neither had more catches or TDs than Juju. Juju has gone on to outperform both of them.

4th, you stated "Meyers proved he can produce going up against an opposing team’s #1 corner for 3 straight seasons. Double covered because nobody else was good." That's a wild take. Jakobi has never had CB1s cover him specifically. No team has had to game plan against him. In '20 we had Edelman and speedy Damiere Byrd to draw coverage. In '21, we had Agholor, Bourne, Meyers and Harry. Opposing teams didn't put their CB1 on him. He was our WR3 and teams covered him as such. Agreed, he's a mismatch against CB3s but our offense was/is also designed to go to the position he played, slot. It's been a long time since we've had a WR who demanded CB1 attention.

If you insist that Meyers was covered by CB1s, you'll have to provide proof.

a guy at 26 on his 3rd team who was a 2nd rounder is someone who gives me pause. i've defended them with guys like meyers, edelperson, branch, mitchell who i think would have been great, etc. and i not someone who thinks they need an OMGWTFBBQ11!a1! star wr! but it's a position they do value differently and it can be a slog.
I don’t disagree that the Patriots have treated the WR position similarly to how the rest of the NFL currently treats the running back position.

Everyone who I see liking this Ju Ju signing was defending Jonnu Smith right up until he was traded.
The blind in BB we trust syndrome in this forum is unreal.
Ju Ju is washed. This is a bad signing.

And getting Hopkins will not make up for this. He is old. The cardinals are smart to move on. He’s got at most a season of good games left as a true number one.

The pats are not contenders for a Super Bowl next season. We need young guys who can develop. Or at least be around for 5 years.
Meyers is the only WR drafted by this franchise in 12 years who was worth a damn and they let him walk to sign an overrated washed JAG. At least Meyers was homegrown.
BS, there are quite a few of us that have never defended Jonnu Smith, why would we, he didn't contribute jack to this team. Stop throwing this garbage around when you don't agree with people, it does nothing for this forum.

Then please tell us who they should bring in.
Just wait. As soon as they bring someone else in, Rivshark will point out that he was only available because someone let him go and if someone let him go it means he is washed up and his knees are shot.

I mean, his whole premise as he said is there's a reason he no team keeps him..

Mr. "I observe closely what happens in teh NFL" didn't notice that he played for 6 years with his first team and then his second team lost a bidding war to keep him?

I know, I know, this isn't about players. It's about BB let TFB go and he will never ever get past that.

Guys, it's March 16. Plenty of road ahead of us ...

Tom without Bill = 35-17 regular season (3 seasons), 2 divisional titles, 3 playoff appearances, 5-2 playoffs, 1 SB ring
Bill without Tom = 42-44 regular season (5+ seasons), 0 divisional titles, 1 playoff appearance, 0-1 playoffs, 0 rings

Tom Brady is the greatest football player in the 97-year history of the NFL. - Shannon Sharpe

I'm surprised you can see the road ahead with your eyeballs glued to the rear view mirror.

Have you watched Ju Ju? For real.
He is washed. This is a desperation move.
I’m gonna bow out of this thread cause I know a lot of this board disagrees with me out of reflex.
If BB adds Hopkins or Odell to this WR corps I’m going to be completely disgusted, and in a year the Pats will be in the same spot of needing to bring in and develop young talent at the position.
Hopkins does have some juice left at least.
I don't know what you have been watching but nothing about last season says washed up. He had 78 receptions for 933 yards a 12 yard per catch average and a long for 53 yards.
That is a long ways from washed up.
Jakobi Meyers went 67 receptions for 804 yards a 12 yard per catch average and a long for 48 yards.
So what do you think you are saying?

KC picked him up for 1 year knowing they would not be able to keep him he player his rookie contract in Pittsburgh.
JuJu Smith-Schuster has taken two trips through free agency over the last two offseasons. In each instance, the USC product signed well below what most free agent wide receivers have been going for. In 2021, Smith-Schuster re-signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers on a one-year contract for $8 million. He reportedly took less money to remain in Pittsburgh, rather than signing elsewhere with larger offers. Then last offseason, JuJu Smith-Schuster once again inked a one-year deal to join the Kansas City Chiefs. The pass catcher had a maximum value of around $10 million on his new contract. Though, the Chiefs made this deal highly incentivized, with his 2022 guaranteed salary coming in at $2.49 million, per Spotrac.
To see him do that not once, but twice, is rare for a pass catcher in today’s day and age. JuJu Smith-Schuster was also on Kansas City’s radar for both of the last two offseasons. In fact, Kansas City was one team that reportedly offered the wide receiver more money than Pittsburgh in 2021. That multiple year history of taking discounts to help out the hometown team, so to speak, creates an intriguing perspective. It simply shows that Smith-Schuster will do anything to help out his team.

KC picked him up for 1 year knowing they would not be able to keep him he player his rookie contract in Pittsburgh.
JuJu Smith-Schuster has taken two trips through free agency over the last two offseasons. In each instance, the USC product signed well below what most free agent wide receivers have been going for. In 2021, Smith-Schuster re-signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers on a one-year contract for $8 million. He reportedly took less money to remain in Pittsburgh, rather than signing elsewhere with larger offers. Then last offseason, JuJu Smith-Schuster once again inked a one-year deal to join the Kansas City Chiefs. The pass catcher had a maximum value of around $10 million on his new contract. Though, the Chiefs made this deal highly incentivized, with his 2022 guaranteed salary coming in at $2.49 million, per Spotrac.
To see him do that not once, but twice, is rare for a pass catcher in today’s day and age. JuJu Smith-Schuster was also on Kansas City’s radar for both of the last two offseasons. In fact, Kansas City was one team that reportedly offered the wide receiver more money than Pittsburgh in 2021. That multiple year history of taking discounts to help out the hometown team, so to speak, creates an intriguing perspective. It simply shows that Smith-Schuster will do anything to help out his team.
That was the report and feeling on him coming out of USC, a real team player who works hard.

I hear his name a lot. Think he was most productive in Pitt with Big Ben. I guess he’s an upgrade over Meyers. Hope they are not done at the WR position in FA.

Looks like Juju's contract is 3 year, 25.5MM base including roster bonuses. There are incentives for receiving yards each year, up to 1.5MM in 2023, up to 3MM the other years, which would bring it to 3/33MM if he hits all of them.

Salaries are low this year, 7MM next year, and 6.5MM at club option for 2025.

It's basically a 2-year contract worth up to $20.5MM, with about $16MM guaranteed. Club option for year 3, which would be $6.5MM salary, $1MM in roster bonuses, and up to $3MM in incentives.

Cap hits:
2023: 4.7
2024: 10.6
2025: 10.1 (2.6MM dead cap if option not picked up)

Looks like Juju's contract is 3 year, 25.5MM base including roster bonuses. There are incentives for receiving yards each year, up to 1.5MM in 2023, up to 3MM the other years, which would bring it to 3/33MM if he hits all of them.

Salaries are low this year, 7MM next year, and 6.5MM at club option for 2025.

It's basically a 2-year contract worth up to $20.5MM, with about $16MM guaranteed. Club option for year 3, which would be $6.5MM salary, $1MM in roster bonuses, and up to $3MM in incentives.

Cap hits:
2023: 4.7
2024: 10.6
2025: 10.1 (2.6MM dead cap if option not picked up)
seems good to me

I hear his name a lot. Think he was most productive in Pitt with Big Ben. I guess he’s an upgrade over Meyers. Hope they are not done at the WR position in FA.

This isn't an excellent FA class at WR, there are a few interesting possible trade option, including the oft mentioned DeAndre Hopkins, but we may see more movement on that front closer to the draft.

3rd, in 2020, Juju was terrific. 97 rec., over 800 yds

8 yards per catch is terrible. He was force fed the ball and didn't do anything with it. How many WRs who averaged 8 yards per reception for a year (JuJu did this 2 different seasons of only 8 yards per catch), were great wide receivers?

Back