Week 12 Gamete Thread - Titans

Well, the Pats played nickel for a big part of the game so that seems to say "run it all you want but we're stopping your passing game".
We still should have been more effective against their run game though.

I wondered after the game if Vrabel might begin to look at Henry's value to the team a bit differently after seeing how effective the backups were.
$12M/ for a running back is a lot of money when Foreman and Hilliard are making just over $1M/ combined and ran for over 200 yds.
Curious to know, how many yards did Tennessee have minus those 2 long runs?

Curious to know, how many yards did Tennessee have minus those 2 long runs?

The 2 RBs had 150 yds if you take away the 90 for their 2 long runs.
Including the 2 long runs those 2 RBs averaged 7.74 yds/run.
Henry avgs 4.8 yds/run over his career.

Last edited:
Wo
Working from the above, they gained 150 yards on 29 carries=5.2 yards/carry.

Well, the Pats played nickel for a big part of the game so that seems to say "run it all you want but we're stopping your passing game".
We still should have been more effective against their run game though.

I wondered after the game if Vrabel might begin to look at Henry's value to the team a bit differently after seeing how effective the backups were.
$12M/ for a running back is a lot of money, as good as he is, when Foreman and Hilliard are making just over $1M/ combined and ran for over 200 yds.

Working from the above, they gained 150 yards on 29 carries=5.2 yards/carry.
So, I'm sure that's been on his mind anyway, as it should be. But I think the success of the backup RBs even outside if the long runs (and in fairness, Henry's ypc is heavily skewed by his breakaway runs as well) is at least partially attributable to the first thing you mentioned, that the Patriots were in (big) nickel for most of the game.

But IMO the argument for Henry at an additional $11MM is less about the actual yards than it is about the physical and psychological advantage of pounding with Henry specifically, intimidating and wearing down the defense, and the respect that has to be paid to Henry and how much that benefits the pass. The argument against him is also less about the actual yards, and more about durability, flexibility, and injury-proofing your team.

I just heard an analyst say that Belichick schemed to take the run away and make Tannehill beat them, and got beat by the run anyway. Looking back at this game, I think Belichick schemed to stop Tannehill from beating them, and took his chances getting gouged by the backup runners.

For the life of me I can't figure out why.

A running game is always a large % OL talent and attitude. Losing the bell cow RB doesn't necessarily change that attitude of the OL. If the QB is having a great game it can open up the running game, but for a bend-but-don't-break defense that doesn't hurt you all that much. But if you let the run gouge you, and that opens up the passing game? That can really kill you. More importantly, if the OL gets the attitude rolling and wins the psychological battle, that can be real trouble. That's where the Titans embrace the "next man up" attitude and start believing. That's when you lose games you should win.
It seemed like it. 2 different RB's running for over a hunnit...it had to be done by design. Tighten up the defense in the red zone. Control points as much as possible.

Back