Week 12 Gamete Thread - Titans

I think the coaches out-thought themselves on this one. If you look at my pregame comments I mentioned they have no WRs, so it's going to be all Hilliard/Foreman, both with running and throwing to them. Literally the whole game was to scheme against the backs and they didn't do a great job against it, which his is surprsing.

I saw some odd alignments like light boxes on 3rd and short, etc. Instead of just stacking the box and making Tannehill throw to beat you, flooding the middle with LBs in zone, and making him work outside the numbers. They seemed to do the "let's induce the RB" approach thing again, where they had no issue trying to bait the run. Obviously, that backfired twice for larger runs, which wasn't good and they also gave up some other chunk runs as well, as you note.

Sometimes I think our coaches over-think these things.

Yeah, that big nickel alignment didn't work well. Steve B definitely overthought that one and then held on to it too long after being burned several times.

I think the coaches out-thought themselves on this one. If you look at my pregame comments I mentioned they have no WRs, so it's going to be all Hilliard/Foreman, both with running and throwing to them. Literally the whole game was to scheme against the backs and they didn't do a great job against it, which his is surprsing.

I saw some odd alignments like light boxes on 3rd and short, etc. Instead of just stacking the box and making Tannehill throw to beat you, flooding the middle with LBs in zone, and making him work outside the numbers. They seemed to do the "let's induce the RB" approach thing again, where they had no issue trying to bait the run. Obviously, that backfired twice for larger runs, which wasn't good and they also gave up some other chunk runs as well, as you note.

Sometimes I think our coaches over-think these things.
Well said. It just seemed very out of character for this defense the last couple of weeks. I'm sure we will be ok against the Bills though, this was just hiccup, I hope.

Yeah, that big nickel alignment didn't work well. Steve B definitely overthought that one and then held on to it too long after being burned several times.
It's been daddy's wet dream since he signed Victor Green ffs.

I think Big Nickel has its place, if you have one of those safeties who can competently play linebacker. I think Dugger could fill that role some day, and the Patriots certainly run 3 safeties out there from time to time, but Big Nickel as base isn't a winning idea just yet.

This looks off to me, no running game for 3 quarters and the Oline scores a high score?? They were stonewalled.
Bedard said he rank the 3 Pats interior Olinemen very high because there were virtually no negative plays, which is highly unusual.
He thought Trent Brown was a weak point in the Oline play.

Although it was far from a perfect performance on either side of the ball, Pats quarterback Mac Jones was highly efficient in the passing game and protected well again by his offensive line.
The production-based metrics were off the charts for Jones in his second career 300-yard passing performance in the victory over Tennessee.
New England’s rookie quarterback had an EPA per drop-back in the 87th percentile (0.38), an +8.3 CPOE, and a QBR of 72.9, meaning he put the Pats in a great position to win the game.

(But PFF dropped his grade bc of some throws where he lucked out)
Mac lucky on some of his biggest throws (Byard overrunning PBU opportunity, Bourne winning at the catch point on a TD when that is normally broken up, Bourne YAC-driven TD, and the dropped INT that was as bad as it gets https://t.co/7jCebxP8jD

— Steve Palazzolo (@PFF_Steve) November 29, 2021

Pro Football Focus gave Jones his lowest grade of the season despite the production (51.9 out of 100). PFF knocked Mac for some luck on his hugely EPA-positive plays. Plus, the Pats’ rookie was 11-of-12 for 169 yards off play-action, with a season-high play-action rate (37.1%).

PASS PROTECTION STATS

As we mentioned, a hugely positive development for the Patriots during their winning streak is that New England’s offensive line is once again pass protecting at a high level.

OLPressures-1-300x94.png

Jones was only under pressure on nine of his 35 drop-backs, or 25.7 percent, and the Pats got clean sheets in pass protection from left tackle Isaiah Wynn and right guard Shaq Mason.

One area where the O-Line has noticeably improved is against defensive line stunts, which plagued them earlier in the year, and teams continue to use against them.
Although the pass protection was solid, the Pats struggled in the first three quarters to generate movement in the running game. In particular, both tackles, Isaiah Wynn and Trent Brown struggled to win their one-on-ones and kick out the edges to open holes for the backs.
Overall, the Patriots found a way to move the ball through the air and protected Jones well en route to scoring 36 points against an above-average defense.

The story of the game for the Patriots defense was allowing the second-most rushing yards of the Belichick era, with the Titans gaining 270 yards on the ground.
Tennessee didn’t amass 270 rushing yards with only a fluky long run or two, there was one of those on the 68-yarder before the half, but that wasn’t the only breakdown for the Pats defense. The Titans had a 53 percent success rate on their 39 carries, 25 percent of their runs went for first downs, and they averaged 6.9 yards per rush; this was a systematic failure.

On tape, the biggest issue for the Patriots defense was also smart coaching by the Titans’ staff.

Titans head coach Mike Vrabel knew the Pats would force cutbacks on outside zone schemes by firing the play-side linebacker into the line of scrimmage to set the edge. The Titans had center Ben Jones turn out the Pats’ nose tackles and sent the backside guard through immediately to the second level to combat that strategy. When their ball carriers cut back, the defenders designed to close down the cutback lanes were blocked up by the Titans’ offensive line.

With strong running teams such as the Indianapolis Colts still on the schedule, it’ll be interesting to see how Belichick and New England’s coaching staff adjust to Tennessee’s strategy.

Fantastic summary again from Mike Reiss. He's excellent at that.

The points on Judon not setting the edge are well made as is the point that Judon being the person he is will hold himself accountable for that and look to set it right.

And credit due to a highly explosive Titan O Line that shot out of a cannon on some plays as Mike puts it.

Although it was far from a perfect performance on either side of the ball, Pats quarterback Mac Jones was highly efficient in the passing game and protected well again by his offensive line.
The production-based metrics were off the charts for Jones in his second career 300-yard passing performance in the victory over Tennessee.
New England’s rookie quarterback had an EPA per drop-back in the 87th percentile (0.38), an +8.3 CPOE, and a QBR of 72.9, meaning he put the Pats in a great position to win the game.

(But PFF dropped his grade bc of some throws where he lucked out)

Pro Football Focus gave Jones his lowest grade of the season despite the production (51.9 out of 100). PFF knocked Mac for some luck on his hugely EPA-positive plays. Plus, the Pats’ rookie was 11-of-12 for 169 yards off play-action, with a season-high play-action rate (37.1%).

PASS PROTECTION STATS

As we mentioned, a hugely positive development for the Patriots during their winning streak is that New England’s offensive line is once again pass protecting at a high level.

OLPressures-1-300x94.png

Jones was only under pressure on nine of his 35 drop-backs, or 25.7 percent, and the Pats got clean sheets in pass protection from left tackle Isaiah Wynn and right guard Shaq Mason.

One area where the O-Line has noticeably improved is against defensive line stunts, which plagued them earlier in the year, and teams continue to use against them.
Although the pass protection was solid, the Pats struggled in the first three quarters to generate movement in the running game. In particular, both tackles, Isaiah Wynn and Trent Brown struggled to win their one-on-ones and kick out the edges to open holes for the backs.
Overall, the Patriots found a way to move the ball through the air and protected Jones well en route to scoring 36 points against an above-average defense.

The story of the game for the Patriots defense was allowing the second-most rushing yards of the Belichick era, with the Titans gaining 270 yards on the ground.
Tennessee didn’t amass 270 rushing yards with only a fluky long run or two, there was one of those on the 68-yarder before the half, but that wasn’t the only breakdown for the Pats defense. The Titans had a 53 percent success rate on their 39 carries, 25 percent of their runs went for first downs, and they averaged 6.9 yards per rush; this was a systematic failure.

On tape, the biggest issue for the Patriots defense was also smart coaching by the Titans’ staff.

Titans head coach Mike Vrabel knew the Pats would force cutbacks on outside zone schemes by firing the play-side linebacker into the line of scrimmage to set the edge. The Titans had center Ben Jones turn out the Pats’ nose tackles and sent the backside guard through immediately to the second level to combat that strategy. When their ball carriers cut back, the defenders designed to close down the cutback lanes were blocked up by the Titans’ offensive line.

With strong running teams such as the Indianapolis Colts still on the schedule, it’ll be interesting to see how Belichick and New England’s coaching staff adjust to Tennessee’s strategy.
That first Bourne TD wasn't luck. The grader kind of did a bullshit job this week.

That first Bourne TD wasn't luck. The grader kind of did a bullshit job this week.

I agree. Interesting to me that Trent Brown was the weak link on the OL.
He was the weak link 2 years ago for the year so it's not surprising.
What is surprising is that he can be great for many plays, really knock people back, but on other plays he can't keep up with speedy guys.
It's almost like he guesses what they will do and if he guesses wrong he can't recover quickly enough.

Very little pressure generated against the pass and Pats still got 100 yards rushing against a very tough front.
A lot of that in garbage time as far as the rushing goes but they didn't really try to run up the middle much did they? They seemed to want to stay as far away from Simmons as they could, which was smart, that guy is a man beast.

I agree. Interesting to me that Trent Brown was the weak link on the OL.
He was the weak link 2 years ago for the year so it's not surprising.
What is surprising is that he can be great for many plays, really knock people back, but on other plays he can't keep up with speedy guys.
It's almost like he guesses what they will do and if he guesses wrong he can't recover quickly enough.
I still think he's a better left tackle than right tackle. 🤷

A lot of that in garbage time as far as the rushing goes but they didn't really try to run up the middle much did they? They seemed to want to stay as far away from Simmons as they could, which was smart, that guy is a man beast.

Yeah, half the rushing yards were gained in the 4th when the game was out of reach. Most success was running to the outside. Inside runs got stuffed repeatedly. Titans might have been really limited offensively due to injuries, but defensively they were really really stout.

The Seattle offense wasn't great? Are you kidding me?
Right Wilson the MVP QB, the same one that threw 4 INT's in the NFCCG? :ROFLMAO: If you want you want to give him credit as an MVP QB before he actually was one fine, but I'm sticking with what he was at the point of his career and what he had around him which was average at best. By your logic the Pat's had a MVP QB in '01 so they must have been a great offense. That 'hawks team was mostly about defense, with Kam and Wagner blanketing and punishing Gronk for most of the game, and a CB that shut down half of the field, a defense that made Rodgers look like a rookie the game before. Yeah Brady doesn't deserve much credit for that SB win :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Right Wilson the MVP QB, the same one that threw 4 INT's in the NFCCG? :ROFLMAO: If you want you want to give him credit as an MVP QB before he actually was one fine, but I'm sticking with what he was at the point of his career and what he had around him which was average at best. By your logic the Pat's had a MVP QB in '01 so they must have been a great offense. That 'hawks team was mostly about defense, with Kam and Wagner blanketing and punishing Gronk for most of the game, and a CB that shut down half of the field, a defense that made Rodgers look like a rookie the game before. Yeah Brady doesn't deserve much credit for that SB win :ROFLMAO:
I am not saying Seattle's D wasn't outstanding. It was. I just think it's funny that when our TEAM wins a SB, it becomes individualized. It's never been seen before in NFL history. Not even Joe Montana got such exhausting hype about what happened in a SB save for the slaughtering of the Broncos in January of '90 or Steve Young in '95 vs an overmatched SD team.

I just heard an analyst say that Belichick schemed to take the run away and make Tannehill beat them, and got beat by the run anyway. Looking back at this game, I think Belichick schemed to stop Tannehill from beating them, and took his chances getting gouged by the backup runners.

For the life of me I can't figure out why.

A running game is always a large % OL talent and attitude. Losing the bell cow RB doesn't necessarily change that attitude of the OL. If the QB is having a great game it can open up the running game, but for a bend-but-don't-break defense that doesn't hurt you all that much. But if you let the run gouge you, and that opens up the passing game? That can really kill you. More importantly, if the OL gets the attitude rolling and wins the psychological battle, that can be real trouble. That's where the Titans embrace the "next man up" attitude and start believing. That's when you lose games you should win.

I just heard an analyst say that Belichick schemed to take the run away and make Tannehill beat them, and got beat by the run anyway. Looking back at this game, I think Belichick schemed to stop Tannehill from beating them, and took his chances getting gouged by the backup runners.

For the life of me I can't figure out why.

A running game is always a large % OL talent and attitude. Losing the bell cow RB doesn't necessarily change that attitude of the OL. If the QB is having a great game it can open up the running game, but for a bend-but-don't-break defense that doesn't hurt you all that much. But if you let the run gouge you, and that opens up the passing game? That can really kill you. More importantly, if the OL gets the attitude rolling and wins the psychological battle, that can be real trouble. That's where the Titans embrace the "next man up" attitude and start believing. That's when you lose games you should win.

Well, the Pats played nickel for a big part of the game so that seems to say "run it all you want but we're stopping your passing game".
We still should have been more effective against their run game though.

I wondered after the game if Vrabel might begin to look at Henry's value to the team a bit differently after seeing how effective the backups were.
$12M/ for a running back is a lot of money, as good as he is, when Foreman and Hilliard are making just over $1M/ combined and ran for over 200 yds.

Last edited:
Back