WEEK 14 • THURSDAY NIGHT - New England Patriots AT Los Angeles Rams

Figured I would get this thread going given the 4 day turn around. Feel good about our D vs their O. Don't feel great about our O vs their D. Still very winnable but probably our toughest game left.

Cam needs to get rid of the ball more quickly is what it comes down to with me.

Agreed. If he could anticipate a receiver coming open that could happen. Right now he's throwing to a guy already open most of the time. The N'keal Harry catch was a timing catch. We need more of that.

Last edited:
This isn’t hard. Cam is 90 percent washed and playing with 0 skill position talent against a top five NFL team.
I love his attitude though.

Even if mahomes was here as the QB, this is an awful roster. It’s going to be years before things get better.

This isn’t hard. Cam is 90 percent washed and playing with 0 skill position talent against a top five NFL team.
I love his attitude though.

Even if mahomes was here as the QB, this is an awful roster. It’s going to be years before things get better.
If BB picks the right players, it wouldn't take as long as you think. But, it does mostly hinge on BB picking the right players. It's imperative...

If Bill was evaluated as a GM like he evaluates his players, he'd fire himself. :lecture:

Lazar: Patriots’ Passing Offense Has Much More Than a Cam Newton Problem​

If the Patriots want their passing game to improve, the talent around the QB must get better, or they’re putting whoever is under center or calling plays in a position to fail.
In the aftermath of a 24-3 loss to the Rams that effectively ended the Patriots’ playoff hopes on Thursday night, it’s only natural to search for someone to blame on New England’s offense.
The Pats scored three points, squandered all four red-zone trips, and managed just ten first downs; however, blaming their offensive struggles on one player is lazy analysis.
New England’s offense, outside of Tom Brady and Julian Edelman’s hot streak in the 2018 postseason, has been trending towards below-average for three seasons now.

For three seasons, the quarterback and offensive coordinator have been trying to turn water into wine, which isn’t to say they are free of blame, but it’s only fair to acknowledge the obvious.

The Patriots have a collection of skill talent that is 21st in Pro Football Focus receiving grade this season, was 23rd in 2019, and is realistically a bottom-five group of weapons.

Enough is enough: if the Patriots don’t make a concerted effort to improve their pass-catchers, then they’ll continue the definition of insanity, thinking they can get away with subpar talent. New England has significant issues offensively because players are in over their heads.

Then, Newton, as Brady did in 2019, is struggling to elevate a lousy group of pass-catchers that leaves too much to be desired. Two former MVPs have now had issues with the receivers that Bill Belichick and Director of Player Personnel Nick Caserio are putting on the field.

Again, nobody is excusing Newton’s mistakes or arguing that he has played well this season.

The Pats quarterback is 23rd in PFF passing grade, 29th in QBR, 26th in expected points per drop-back, and 28th in completion percentage over expected, which is not good.

With Cam, we see a downfield passer pigeon-holed into an offense that doesn’t have the weapons to be a high-volume deep passing attack or the QB to execute on short throws.

Screen-Shot-2020-12-12-at-2.01.49-PM-500x130.png

Newton struggles with the intricacies of a short passing scheme predicated on timing, decisive reads, and pinpoint accuracy that leads to yards after the catch. Brady-type stuff and the numbers bear that out as Newton is far more efficient on passes downfield.

As for McDaniels, there’s no doubt that he knows how to scheme offense. He has tried simplifying the reads, taking things from Newton’s offenses in Auburn and Carolina, trick plays, and even borrowed from Brennan Marion’s Go-Go offense in the college ranks.

But the Pats play-caller is letting the offense down in critical situations exemplified by four-straight vanilla plays on the goal line, multiple third-down calls that had no chance of success, and allowing the Rams’ dangerous defensive front to take over Thursday night’s game.

More:

Huh? We complained long and hard about not having better WRs and no TEs last year.
It would be nice if our O line could give time for longer throws. Never did I think our O line would an issue this year but there it is.
4 times in the Rams' red zone and we come away with a score on only 1 of them? McD didn't have his best day at the office for sure.

Huh? We complained long and hard about not having better WRs and no TEs last year.
It would be nice if our O line could give time for longer throws. Never did I think our O line would an issue this year but there it is.
4 times in the Rams' red zone and we come away with a score on only 1 of them? McD didn't have his best day at the office for sure.
McD didn't have his best day at the office is said a lot around here in the last 10 years or so.

McD has always been an enigma. He's so inconsistent, it's infuriating. He can go from one game to the next (or even one quarter to the next) calling like a genius and then like a complete baboon.

McD has always been an enigma. He's so inconsistent, it's infuriating. He can go from one game to the next (or even one quarter to the next) calling like a genius and then like a complete baboon.

His offensive game planning doesn't seem to always take into account the other team taking away what we do best. In this league it pays to be 2 steps ahead like the Rams were against us.

McVay knew we'd try to take away his outside zone runs so he goes heavy with an inside scheme that LOOKS like outside zone. I was really pissed it took Steve Belichick an entire half to make adjustments.

His offensive game planning doesn't seem to always take into account the other team taking away what we do best. In this league it pays to be 2 steps ahead like the Rams were against us.

McVay knew we'd try to take away his outside zone runs so he goes heavy with an inside scheme that LOOKS like outside zone. I was really pissed it took Steve Belichick an entire half to make adjustments.
Great response . i mostly think he's good. but. #1 example to me of what you said is the SB that will not be named.

Back