WEEK 17 • Sunday - Jete at New England Patriots

Here is the last game day thread. As bad as this season has been, it is always good to go out with a victory against the Jete. Although I am not as confident in this game now that the Jete are actually trying to win.

I hate having to root for losses, but I honestly would not be too torn up if Pats were to lose this one. That said, I would still be happy if Pats beat the Jests. That means even at our worst we can still sweep the Jests. Not all is bad.

We have no LBs!
EqmGJqdW8AA34YO

We have no LBs!
EqmGJqdW8AA34YO
It's almost unbelievable how bad the LB situation is. And the DL is just a shade better. I don't know when Uche got hurt, but I wouldn't be surprised if he took that injury into the Bills game. He didn't look quite as explosive as we'd been seeing and he couldn't get much done.

I really don't know whether we can be competitive with the Jets, never mind winning the game. Not kidding.

I never imagined myself thinking "we're screwed if Terez Hall can't go", but that's how bad things have gotten.

I don't see any way we win vs the Jete no matter who starts at QB for us. They'll want to build momentum for next year and our guys are waiting for the axe to fall.

Jets (2-13) at Patriots (6-9)

1 p.m. ET | CBS
Matchup rating:
29.0 | Spread: NE -3 (39.5)

What to watch for: Does the telephone on the Patriots' sideline work? After coach Bill Belichick fired it in frustration in a Week 16 loss to the Bills, communications could be stressed in a finale that has no meaning other than draft position. -- Mike Reiss

Bold prediction: Jets quarterback Sam Darnold -- who hasn't faced the Patriots since the infamous "ghost" game in 2019 -- will get his first career victory over the Patriots in what could be his final game with the Jets. The Jets have been outscored 71-3 in Darnold's two starts against the Patriots (four interceptions). -- Rich Cimini

Stat to know: The Patriots have eight passing touchdowns and 14 interceptions this season. They have finished with fewer than 10 passing TDs in a season just once: 1970, when they accumulated seven touchdowns and 28 picks.

Playoff/draft picture: The Jets have secured the No. 2 spot in the draft, but the Patriots can still slide up or down the draft board. They are currently projected to hold the 15th pick, with a 0.7% chance to move into the top 10.

Injuries: Jets | Patriots

What to know for fantasy: New York receiver Jamison Crowder came through last week (29.3 fantasy points) and saved you with a score in the first meeting with New England. But be aware that he was targeted on just 10.5% of his routes in that game, his second-lowest rate of the season. See Week 17 rankings.

Betting nugget: The Patriots have won each of the past nine meetings, but they are just 5-4 ATS in those games. Read more.

Cimini's pick: Jets 17, Patriots 16
Reiss' pick: Jets 20, Patriots 17
FPI prediction: NE, 73.1% (by an average of 8.2 points)

Back