Week 17 Other Games

Didn't see one already up. On the slate we have:

1:00 Games

ATL@TB: Influences playoff seeding. If the Bucs win, they face the winner of the NFC East guaranteed. If they lose, they may face NO, GB, or SEA in the Wild Card Round.

DAL@NYG: Influences playoff picture. If WAS loses to PHI, the winner of this game is in the playoffs. Yes, that means the NYG can qualify for the playoffs with a 6-10 season. Personally I'm kinda rooting for that because it would be hilarious.

MIN@DET: Influences draft order. Both of these teams are bad, and both are guaranteed out of the playoffs. Not exactly a must-watch game.

PIT@CLE: Influences playoff picture, seeding. The Browns are one of 5 teams in the AFC with a 10-5 record, competing for 4 spots. One of those will be Titans / Colts, but the Browns are playing for the chance to get into the playoffs while the Steelers are resting starters.

BAL@CIN: Influences playoff picture, seeding. The Ravens are another of the 5 teams in the AFC with a 10-5 record. The Bengals are terrible though, so this is unlikely to be particularly competitive.

MIA@BUF: Influences playoff picture, seeding. The Dolphins are yet another of the 5 teams in the AFC with a 10-5 record. Buffalo already has things locked up. This is also potentially interesting just as it's between divisional foes.

4:25 Games

SEA@SF: Influences playoff seeding. The Seahawks could potentially still get the #1 seed, if things fall their way. Both GB and NO have to lose for that to be a possibility, but it could happen.

ARI@LA: Influences playoff picture. The winner of this game will be in the playoffs. If ARI loses, they're out. If LA loses, they're out, unless the Bears also lose, in which case the Bears would be out and the Rams would be in.

JAX@IND: Influences playoff picture. The Colts are currently on the outside looking in, but they're yet another 10-5 team in the AFC, and it's still possible for them to win the division, if they win and the Titans lose. If the Titans win, they still have a shot if one of the Ravens, Browns, or Dolphins lose. If they lose, they're out.

TEN@HOU: Influences playoff picture. The Titans are currently leading their division, and with a win they're in. If they lose, and the Colts win, as well as the Dolphins, Ravens, and Browns, they could be out.

LV@DEN: Influences draft order. Two teams knocked out of playoff contention. The Raiders aren't terrible, but regardless, a largely meaningless game to anyone other than those involved.

LAC@KC: Influences practically nothing. LAC is out. KC is the #1 seed. In theory it might have an impact on LAC's draft spot, but this is about as meaningless as they come. KC is resting their starters.

GB@CHI: Influences playoff picture, seeding. If GB wins, they're guaranteed the #1 seed. If CHI wins, they're guaranteed to be in the playoffs. Both teams will be playing for something, should be a good, competitive game.

NO@CAR: Influences playoff seeding. NO could still win the #1 seed, if they win and GB loses. NO will be without their entire RB room, though, which may make this more or less interesting to watch depending on how you look at it.

8:20 Game

WAS@PHI: Influences playoff picture. If WAS wins this game, they are in, as the champion of the NFC East, as unimpressive as it may be. PHI is already out, but if they win, the winner of the DAL/NYG game is in.

Of note, on the AFC side, an 11-5 team could miss the playoffs, while on the NFC side, a 6-10 team could make it in. I'm not sure I've ever seen the conferences so lopsided. Only 4 games lack impact on the playoff picture, though a lot of that has to do with the disaster which is the NFC East. I wouldn't blame a lot of folks for skipping out on the weekend entirely, but there definitely should be some interesting games for those who are so inclined.

I never realized that Buffalo has been to Miami what NE has been to Buffalo - a royal thorn in their sides.
If Buffalo wins (Or Pittsburgh loses) and secures 2nd seed, 2 games come through Buffalo on the road to the Playoffs. And Miami is eliminated.
A Miami win they're in.

The Bills may not back off.

The Buffalo Bills can clinch the two seed with a win or a Pittsburgh Steelers loss on Sunday but according to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN, the Bills may not be content to watch Pittsburgh struggle. Fowler said on Saturday, the “Bills might rest a few, but belief is many key guys will go.”

Fowler goes on to say that the Bills could land the two seed but also adds an interesting wrinkle. Week 17 is “Josh Allen’s one last MVP stand”.

Allen is considered a longshot to be in the MVP debate behind Aaron Rodgers of the Green Bay Packers and Patrick Mahomes of the Kansas City Chiefs. Mahomes has already been ruled out by head coach Andy Reid this week as KC prepares for the postseason. The Packers need a win in the late afternoon time slot to secure the top seed in the NFC, so Rodgers and the Pack are expected to play all of their starters.

Let’s look back at last year when the Bills had their playoff seeding sewn up heading into Week 17. They played Josh Allen and Jon Feliciano for 7 plays. Mitch Morse got 10 with Dion Dawkins playing 14 snaps. John Brown, Cole Beasley, Devin Singeltary, and Dawson Knox were inactive. On defense, Tre’Davious White was held out but Lorenzo Alexander played one snap, Star Lotulelei four snaps, and Jerry Hughes seven. Matt Milano, Tremaine Edmunds, Jordan Poyer, and Micah Hyde all played 10 snaps for the Bills.

With all of that being said, expect Tre’Davious White and Stefon Diggs to sit, and probably Dawson Knox. If they are really interested in getting Allen Drew Bledsoe’s team record for passing yards in a season and pumping up his MVP candidacy, he could play a couple of series throwing quick passes.

We will know more around 11:30 Eastern on Sunday.

Stefanski: "damn, i blew that c.o.t.y. award last week!"
Flores:"hold my beer."
mcdermott :
Conor Mcgregor Reaction GIF by UFC

Josh Allen I swear, just gets better and better every week. for how good Miami's defense is supposed to be, the Buffalo offense just made them their bitches.

I want to root for Flores because he's a good coach, but I hate 'fins fans and their hanging their hats on 2 seasons that happened a decade before most of them were born so....

Go Bills.

Agreed. Love Flores as a coach. I think he's great. That said, fuck the Dolphins.

Lions got absolutely hosed by the Refs again, absurd roughing the passer call to turn an incredible defensive stop into a fresh set of downs at 1st and goal. Some of the defensive rules right now are just outright stupid. Cowboys are making it close and jeopardizing my dream of a 6-10 Giants making it in. Dolphins look done for, so on the AFC side looks like the team that misses will be a 10-6 team, rather than an 11-5 team. So far it's looking like the least interesting / hilarious outcomes all around, how disappointing.

I don't ever want to get my hopes up especially after a history of being let down by the Bills, but they are certainly peaking and at the very right time.

Back