Week 2, 2020 - Patriots @Seattle

Oh yeah, and McD sucks...at least his play calling does.

Seattle was very well prepared for RPO plays thanks to Wilson. Newton had one hell of a game passing the ball. I think he could someone to stretch the field . WRs we have rely on that quick release to get separation.

One thing I really like about Newton is that he doesn't seem to be nearly as picky about his receivers as Brady was/is. Hell, Izzo already has half as many receptions as he had all last season. Harry already has more than he had all last season. Byrd will probably end up having a career year too.

I have no complaints whatsoever with the coaches or players. They played their hearts out and damn near won against an established team. We've been together with Cam for, what, 5.5 weeks? If you want to blame someone, you don't have to look any further than the pass for a TD that went right through Edelman's hands. But after the game he played, that sounds kind of silly to me.

The Seahawks had the highest success rate on dropbacks (67.6%) of any Patriots opponent since Week 2 of the 2011 smurf season, when the (then) San Diego Chargers had positive EPA on 68.8% of pass plays.

Jeff Howe says there's plenty of reasons to be optimistic. I agree.
https://theathletic.com/2081507/2020/09/21/cam-newton-patriots-seahawks-carrying-weight/

The Patriots forced Cam Newton to be perfect Sunday in Seattle.
He almost was.
And even in a stinging 35-30 loss, Newton’s performance against the Seahawks might be a long-term net positive for the Patriots. Newton was 30 of 44 for 397 yards, one touchdown and one interception, and he led the way with 11 carries for 47 yards and two touchdowns, all while nearly bringing the Patriots back from a 35-23 deficit in the final 4:32.
“We have a lot of things to be optimistic about, yet we still have to get better,” Newton said. “The reason why you play this game is for one stat and one stat only. We didn’t get that statistic today, and that’s to win. For us, this is a disgusting taste in my mouth. I’ve just got to grow and get better in this offense and hopefully have a better result next week.”
The Seahawks secured the win at the buzzer when they stopped Newton at the 2-yard line for a 1-yard loss. The Patriots called a power running play that had worked so well through two weeks — twice in crucial fourth-quarter situations against the Dolphins and twice Sunday on touchdowns against the Seahawks, including an offshoot of that formation with a pass to Jakob Johnson — but the Seahawks were better with the game on the line, making the decisive stop.
Newton was hard on himself for not finding the end zone with the win in his grasp, noting he could have bounced the run to the outside or just tried to dive over the top of the line.
“I was trying to be patient, just thinking too much,” Newton said. “There were so many things that flashed over me. Playing a fast defense like that, as soon as you guess, you’re wrong. So I’ll definitely learn from this. The play was there. The play has been there all game.”
It was a testament to Newton that the Patriots even had a chance at the end, so that has to be encouraging from a broader perspective. Newton moved the ball with relative ease when the Patriots busted the brakes off the offense.
He answered a lingering question from the season-opening 21-11 victory against the Dolphins: Can the Patriots fly down the field if necessary?
There is now little doubt. After the Seahawks took a 12-point lead in the fourth quarter, Newton completed 8 of 12 passes for 124 yards and ran four times for 25 yards and a touchdown. He led a seven-play, 75-yard scoring drive and a nine-play, 79-yard drive that came up 2 yards short of the winning touchdown.
Newton was clutch throughout the night, though. On third and fourth downs, he was 7 of 7 for 87 yards with a sack and ran three times for 11 yards. That amounted to eight conversions on 11 plays.
Even though the Patriots were a bit more methodical with their offensive approach in their win against the Dolphins, they were still a fumble at the goal line and a missed field goal away from scoring 31 points. The efficiency has been there for two games — although Nick Folk missed another field goal to further stress the offense.
“There are many ways that you can win in this game,” Newton said. “We don’t want to become one-dimensional. We had our opportunities.”
And as the night unfolded against the Seahawks, Newton needed that type of performance to give the Patriots a chance to win. The defense, which opened the night with Devin McCourty’s interception return for a touchdown, gave up five touchdown passes to quarterback Russell Wilson. The Seahawks also had the edge in time of possession (31:19) by rushing 30 times for 154 yards.
It wasn’t a typical Patriots defensive performance, whether it was Stephon Gilmore, who gave up a 54-yard touchdown reception to DK Metcalf, or Jason McCourty, who was in coverage for touchdown catches by Tyler Lockett and David Moore, or just a large-scale fundamental breakdown during Freddie Swain’s easy 21-yard touchdown reception. Wilson, who was hit hard on three of his touchdown passes, kept making plays to keep the pressure on Newton and the Patriots throughout the night.
“(Wilson) hurt us tonight in pretty much every way possible,” Bill Belichick said. “He is very difficult to handle.”
Newton nearly went punch for punch with Wilson. The Patriots scored on three of their six second-half possessions, but the first missed opportunity was on Newton, who was intercepted by Quinton Dunbar when his bid for Damiere Byrd was late and inside. The Seahawks scored five plays later to make it 28-17.
But Newton quickly kept the Patriots alive, starting the ensuing possession with a 49-yard missile to Julian Edelman, who caught eight balls for a career-high 179 yards. Newton capped that drive with a scoring toss to Johnson.
The Patriots were a bit too conservative on their next possession, especially on a rare failed third down. Trailing 28-23, offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels called for an option play with Rex Burkhead, who was lined up to Newton’s left – not an ideal spot for a right-handed quarterback to make the pitch. Seattle safety Jamal Adams diagnosed the play and stopped Burkhead for a 4-yard loss.
“Make no mistake about it, the Seattle Seahawks are a great football team. We are a great football team as well,” Newton said. “It was great for us to kind of see where we fared up, and we just fell short.”
The Patriots remain a work in progress, not just with a new quarterback and McDaniels’ remodeled system. They’ve only been on the practice field for five weeks, and Newton and McDaniels are still learning what’s working, what isn’t and why.
They were never destined to run on 66.7 percent of their offensive snaps, like they did against the Dolphins. Nor will they always throw it on 64.3 percent of their plays, like they did against the Seahawks.
“It’s early,” Newton said. “I’m just trying to continually get better. That’s all. For those guys to have faith in me, I just have to deliver.”
When given the chance to open it up, Newton flew up and down the field against a talented Seahawks defense. The Patriots will need more of that against AFC powers like the Chiefs and Ravens.
And now that they’ve seen him do it, the Patriots have a better understanding of how much weight they can put on Newton’s shoulders.

No doubt about it. Cam has been a Godsend to this team so far.

Collinsworth mentioned that he felt that Newton is throwing the ball as well or better than he's ever seen him and it's hard to disagree.

His running is the biggest stressor to defensive thinking that we have right now, because he's forcing people to pay more attention to him and less on our WRs, who are at least occasionally getting open.

There is at least some good to go with the bad, which is we still don't have any real speed to back people off, but we have an offense that thus far has been surprisingly good.

As long as Cam can run we should be good and possibly better than that as he fine tunes his approach to our system and personnel, but we should all be concerned because all the hits he's taking (and dishing out) will ultimately take a toll. That's a sure thing, unfortunately. The guy isn't 24 anymore.

I just don't know if we can mount an effective offense with him, as good as he's been at everything, unless he can keep running over the long grind of the season. Hopefully, he's planning on running less as the season progresses possibly/maybe and just doing what he feels he has to in order to get points on the board, but opting for self-preservation has never been Newton's thing unlike another noted QB I could name.

It's too early to know anything for certain yet, but I did hear Bruce Murray today on NFL radio suggesting that there a bunch of pissed-off owners around the league wondering why their GMs left him sitting next to his non-ringing phone for a couple of months.

Right now he's looking like one of the greatest contract bargains in recent NFL history. Imagine what Ziggy Wilf is thinking right now after extending Kirk Cousins for 2 years at 66M.

His cap number alone this year is 31M ( a bit over 27 times Newton's) and right now he is playing like dogshit. There are something like 49 QBs making more than Cam this year, but next year might be different story.

No doubt about it. Cam has been a Godsend to this team so far.

Collinsworth mentioned that he felt that Newton is throwing the ball as well or better than he's ever seen him and it's hard to disagree.

His running is the biggest stressor to defensive thinking that we have right now, because he's forcing people to pay more attention to him and less on our WRs, who are at least occasionally getting open.

There is at least some good to go with the bad, which is we still don't have any real speed to back people off, but we have an offense that thus far has been surprisingly good.

As long as Cam can run we should be good and possibly better than that as he fine tunes his approach to our system and personnel, but we should all be concerned because all the hits he's taking (and dishing out) will ultimately take a toll. That's a sure thing, unfortunately. The guy isn't 24 anymore.

I just don't know if we can mount an effective offense with him, as good as he's been at everything, unless he can keep running over the long grind of the season. Hopefully, he's planning on running less as the season progresses possibly/maybe and just doing what he feels he has to in order to get points on the board, but opting for self-preservation has never been Newton's thing unlike another noted QB I could name.

It's too early to know anything for certain yet, but I did hear Bruce Murray today on NFL radio suggesting that there a bunch of pissed-off owners around the league wondering why their GMs left him sitting next to his non-ringing phone for a couple of months.

Right now he's looking like one of the greatest contract bargains in recent NFL history. Imagine what Ziggy Wilf is thinking right now after extending Kirk Cousins for 2 years at 66M.

His cap number alone this year is 31M ( a bit over 27 times Newton's) and right now he is playing like dogshit. There are something like 49 QBs making more than Cam this year, but next year might be different story.

It's a mystery as to why he was left sitting by the phone. There's no logical explanation for it.

I'm not worried about Cam if he can continue to throw the ball as efficiently as he did vs Seattle. Yes, his run threat is a huge factor in his game and Sunday night he added the passing game threat to his arsenal. Now teams will have to spend time planning for both facets of Cam. Cam is comfortable behind our OL; it's the best OL he's ever had. Cam considers himself an all around QB - run or pass. He'll carry out whatever plays McD calls. They're still learning each other and McD sure learned a lot about Cam Sunday night. We're in for a treat the rest of the way, imo. I do wish we had a legit X receiver; the sky would be the limit for this team if the full width and breadth of the field could be used the way Wilson used it. Maybe the Pats are looking for an X right now.

Highest-graded offensive players for the #Patriots on Sunday night, per @PFF:

1. Cam Newton - 86.8
2. Julian Edelman - 83.5
3. Michael Onwenu - 72.1
4. Jermaine Eluemunor - 70.0
5. Joe Thuney - 69.6

Highest-graded #Patriots defensive players on Sunday night, per @PFF
(min. 10 snaps):
1. Deatrich Wise - 79.8
2. Devin McCourty - 77.2
3. Lawrence Guy - 65.0
4. Kyle Dugger - 64.5
5. JC Jackson - 60.8

Those aren't exactly the names you would normally expect to see as the top players for O or D. Maybe our younger guys are improving. That will serve us well later in the season.

On the flip side, MLB Ja'Whuan Bentley was a huge liability for the Pats.
Of the 54 linebackers who played at least 46 snaps on Sunday, PFF had Bentley rated 52nd, with an overall rating of 29.4.
That's pathetic. The Pats need an upgrade at MLB and quick or other teams will take advantage of him the same way Petey did. Couldn't stop the run to save his soul.

I'll be watching him closely against the Raiders. You can bet they noticed his deficient play.

On the flip side, MLB Ja'Whuan Bentley was a huge liability for the Pats.
Of the 54 linebackers who played at least 46 snaps on Sunday, PFF had Bentley rated 52nd, with an overall rating of 29.4.
That's pathetic. The Pats need an upgrade at MLB and quick or other teams will take advantage of him the same way Petey did. Couldn't stop the run to save his soul.

I'll be watching him closely against the Raiders. You can bet they noticed his deficient play.

And that was supposed to be his strength. He’s clearly not a coverage guy.

Quick trigger.

More Copeland.

I have no complaints whatsoever with the coaches or players. They played their hearts out and damn near won against an established team. We've been together with Cam for, what, 5.5 weeks? If you want to blame someone, you don't have to look any further than the pass for a TD that went right through Edelman's hands. But after the game he played, that sounds kind of silly to me.

As I watched the replay of that missed pass, I thought to myself Edelman probably isn't used to seeing passes like that with so much zip on them.

Watched the game again and some of Cam's throws were off the scale. He puts so much zip on the ball with some perfect spirals. Jules was immense as well, quite something that he had his biggest game numbers wise ever with the Patriots with only his 2nd ever game with this QB.

I see Newton has come out to say he's not playing for money, good! ROFL

He says he's made enough money and it's not important to him at this time and it's now about respect. Says he loves the culture of the Patriots and says it's been therapeutic for him.

Said if he hits his incentives he'll be able to dress all the coaches including Belichick so that's something he's looking forward to! ROFL

I think we've really lucked out with this guy.

1. Cam Newton - 86.8
2. Julian Edelman - 83.5
3. Michael Onwenu - 72.1
5. Joe Thuney - 69.6

(min. 10 snaps):
1. Deatrich Wise - 79.8
2. Devin McCourty - 77.2
3. Lawrence Guy - 65.0
4. Kyle Dugger - 64.5
5. JC Jackson - 60.8

Those aren't exactly the names you would normally expect to see as the top players for O or D. Maybe our younger guys are improving. That will serve us well later in the season.

Onewnu is a puzzler since it was he (along with Jakob Johnson) that missed blocks during the final play that got Newton blown up.

I gotta find time to watch it again, but on first watch I thought Eluemunor struggled a bit and that Shaq Mason was off all night. It wasn't as pretty as the opener, but that was due mostly to the opposition. Jakob Johnson missed several blocks over the course of the game. He's strong, but he's not great at tracking guys in space and whiffs too often. I don't know if he's going to stick around or not but he has to get better than he's been.

L.J. Collier was shading Onwenu's inside shoulder (who was at extra TE) on the final play. It looked like the run was going over his outside shoulder, but Collier sniffed it out, shifted and swam around the block. Give Collier credit for the play, but it beats me how Onwenu graded out that high. I barely noticed him in there until the end.

He's going to be good, but he's not polished at the moment and needs snaps to get there. Embarassing moments like that will happen and you just have to say fuck it and drive on.

1. Cam Newton - 86.8
2. Julian Edelman - 83.5
3. Michael Onwenu - 72.1
5. Joe Thuney - 69.6

(min. 10 snaps):
1. Deatrich Wise - 79.8
2. Devin McCourty - 77.2
3. Lawrence Guy - 65.0
4. Kyle Dugger - 64.5
5. JC Jackson - 60.8

I saw Kyle Dugger flying to the ball several times. He seems to be the top performing rookie so far.

Isiah Wynn in two games - 72 Pass Blocking Snaps - 0 Pressures Allowed

Not bad.

Back