Week 6, Broncos @ Patriots

We had a chance at an opponent with a substandard QB and any kind of normal offensive show by us and that is a win, but it isn't hard to figure out why we struggled.

I have never seen so much churn on the OL over 3 consecutive games. I was hosting a party and couldn't always focus on who was in the game, but you can't start a different Center in 4 straight games (Thuney skipped one when Ferentz started). It isn't unusual to see issues when guys are hurt, but we're swapping guys all over the place and then redoing it all when Eluemunor goes out. Zero chance to get any kind of continuity and the pass protection broke down badly.

One big reason Newton started the year out so strong was that the line was pretty solid and here we are a few weeks later and it's a total shitshow due to injury and Covid.

I suppose that the steady snaps that Onwenu, who has improbably been our best lineman despite playing 4 different positions (2 today), has been logging are a good thing for down the road. Even Justin Herron, who is not nearly as advanced as his fellow rookie, hasn't been a complete disaster. We threw him to the wolves too soon, but he might be a player. I thought Wynn and Thuney were quite shaky, but there are plausible reasons for that.

The difference between a win and a solid QB performance is a split-second in this league and Cam was under assault while trying to shake off some rust at the same time. It was a mess.

James White was money as always, and the only guy on offense that showed up today, but if somebody can explain why Bill didn't challenge the spot White got robbed on I'd appreciate it. I'm not smart enough to figure that one out. I wasn't shocked over the way the day played out, but that pissed me off to no end.

What a shitty day. Denver isn't as good as we made them look.
He stood like a statue on a few of those, he needs better awareness. Hope your sleep is good tonight.

James White was money as always, and the only guy on offense that showed up today, but if somebody can explain why Bill didn't challenge the spot White got robbed on I'd appreciate it. I'm not smart enough to figure that one out. I wasn't shocked over the way the day played out, but that pissed me off to no end.
Not a clue, it was very weird. Maybe he was told there wasn't a good enough replay angle.

He stood like a statue on a few of those, he needs better awareness. Hope your sleep is good tonight.
The mark of a good/great QB is how they handle pressure. Cam was never best in that area. He was always going to be a bit of a stop gap for us. He is not a true pocket guy so when the protection breaks down he will look pretty bad. It also does not help that we literally have no play makers even Edelman is on a pitch count. Very depressing. It also seems Denver was a bad match up for us while Oakland wasn't. Go figure. Strange season so far this year all the way around.

The mark of a good/great QB is how they handle pressure. Cam was never best in that area. He was always going to be a bit of a stop gap for us. He is not a true pocket guy so when the protection breaks down he will look pretty bad. It also does not help that we literally have no play makers even Edelman is on a pitch count. Very depressing. It also seems Denver was a bad match up for us while Oakland wasn't. Go figure. Strange season so far this year all the way around.
Yeah its weird how matchups are. Never can tell from week to week even if a game looks easy.

Not a clue, it was very weird. Maybe he was told there wasn't a good enough replay angle.

I think he just didn't want to take the chance considering how bad the refs were, and how bad the offense was. So he just trusted the defense, which proved him right you could say.

Does anyone truly care about this f'd up season?

What.A.Shit.Show...the Pats will be lucky to end up @ 8-8.

Cam isn't the answer. He is reverting back to his later years for the Panthers like I thought he would. BB should just start Stidham from here on out. See what he has.

BB should trade Thuney, Gilmore, and Edelman off for the future.

The Donkos are one of the worst teams in the NFL, yet beat the Pats @ home.

No WR or TE ever really got open, and if they did, Cam never saw them open.

Izzo sucks ass. Worse than ass.

BB had if not the worst game, one of his worst games ever.

McD should be let go.

The refs are garbage. They were trying to help the Donkos on almost every call.

Cam isn't the answer. He is reverting back to his later years for the Panthers like I thought he would. BB should just start Stidham from here on out. See what he has.

McD should be let go.

Thats the posts I remember. lol

McD should be let go.

WE'RE DOOMED!!!!! RUN FOR THE HILLS!!

wave hello GIF
Does anyone truly care about this f'd up season?
yes
And no, I don't think it's time to trade, fire, get into draft position for. etc.

McD should be let go.

Yeah but there are reasons for that bad performance and reasons they will get much better soon.

Another aspect of the game that will make more sense after reviewing the tape was the Patriots’ struggles at wide receiver.
Newton was six-of-13 for 62 yards with an interception throwing to his wide receivers on Sunday, a passer rating of 28.4, and another reminder of their inferior skill talent.
Broncos head coach Vic Fangio mixed things up as he always does, but there was plenty of man coverage with weak side safety rotations that weren’t exactly reinventing the wheel.
Still, there were too many instances of Newton holding the ball waiting for someone to get open, which was likely on both quarterback and receiver to make quicker decisions on the field.
The Pats’ final offensive play was a microcosm of the issues with New England’s wideouts.
The Broncos brought a zero blitz at Newton with no safety help for their five defensive backs in man coverage on the play. As is usually the case with cover zero, the outside corners play with inside leverage because they don’t have help in the middle of the field, yet N’Keal Harry breaks in on his route instead of curling outside and isn’t where Newton expects.

Although he tried to deflect blame from Harry and even said his confidence level was “extremely high” in his receivers, even Newton hinted at the corners’ leverage in his answer.
The Patriots need to be mentally sharper at wide receiver to have any chance with this group.

COVID or no COVID this is a .500 team at best. I’ve been saying it all offseason. BB has been making major mistakes as GM for years. We are watching it finally unfold unfortunately. Harry and Sony are just two of them that set this team back a long long way. Hope josh isn’t the coach in waiting.

It’s not Brady who needed to retire, it was BB. Hopefully Kraft can find the next Matt Leflere when this era is over.

Back