Week 7, 49ers at Patriots

1. Pats will cover as 3.5 point favorites - yay or nay

• yes - Pats get back on track

• no - JimmyG has a career game

Results are only viewable after voting.
Keep in mind BB tried to trade Brady and Kraft basically vetoed that trade, so I think that limited BB on what he could do considering Brady had control of his own destiny so to speak. That meant that those last years Brady could have opted out anytime since he was on a flexible contract, and BB couldn't do much about it other than try to do it through the draft. The inevitable happened and BB didn't have enough cap room to do anything about it. It's just a tough situation to be in.
But he did nothing in the draft except Etling and Stidham. That has been my point.

The four years that garnered 2 superbowls?
Thank you, so much this. I've seen people perpetually bashing Belichick for his personnel decisions and team building ability, as though they didn't win the Superbowl 2 years ago and go to it the year before that and win it the year before that! I mean come on, there's "what have you done for me lately" and then there's this. I know the media is dumb enough to believe that Brady magicked his way into Superbowl victories all on his lonesome regardless of who is around him, but we're better than that, right? No one throws the ball to themselves, or blocks for themselves, or plays every snap. More folks on the Patriots were talented than just Brady, and that defense was something special.

Now, regarding this year. The talent dump was obvious. The cap readjusting periods were obvious. The calls were put out early and often, the Patriots are tanking, just look at the moves they are making. And that was BEFORE 9 players opted out, and their QB in the first year with the team got COVID, and so on and so forth. Belichick kept the championship window open as long as humanly possible, but you can only deal with so many 32nd picks or worse. I'm not surprised, nor am I particularly disappointed. I just hope the Patriots finish with a TERRIBLE record, and not an 8-8 finish or something similarly worthless, and leverage their high quantity of next year's draft picks to reassemble some talent. It'll likely take more than 1 year to rebuild to where a sufficiently talented team can be built to compete again for championships. I'm really, REALLY ok with that. It was a hell of a run. Maybe Belichick will assemble the next great QB and go on another one.

To have a great deal of faith in the person who got your organization 6 Super Bowl championships and 9 appearances in 19 years is not a bad thing. Meanwhile to second guess every decision they made While Winning You Superbowls seems incredibly ungrateful and foolish. Just my opinion.

It sure seems like at this point a tank this year will be best for the long run.

It makes it easier watching the team ..... the bed every week at least.

Come on with this cam going 2 and against Brady. Let’s look at their respective records of win losses in general.
Cam 73 wins, 62 losses.
Brady 254 wins 77 losses

If it were not for one outstanding season cams .500 at best.
I’m not trying to attack him for this year. With the putrid talent around him no one could succeed. But to compare him favorably to Brady???? To expect a playoff run, or heck even appearance? To expect anything but a losing season was foolish.

You have to much faith in Belichick. He’s been wrong on most personal moves for 4 years.

And 50 6th round RBs could have run through the holes Sony had his first year. Especially when the line got healthy in the playoffs.
No. You come on.
Did I compare Newton to Brady?
No.
I said Newton is 2-0 against Brady. That's a fact.

Read & understand before starting a needless argument.

I was referring to this if you need it spelled out -->BB has a long history of signing players who played well against his teams - Dillon, Welker, Rodney H., Amendola, Talib, Revis and about 20 others. Panther Cam played well against the Patriots. He went 2-0 against New England with 525 passing yards, 106 rushing yards, six passing touchdowns, and one interception in those games. He had a passer rating of 128.2 and 9.2 yards per attempt and a 72 percent completion rate in those games. Belichick took notice.

“I think when you’re talking about mobile quarterbacks, guys that are tough to handle, tackle, can throw, run, make good decisions—I mean, I would put Newton at the top of the list,” Belichick said then. “He makes good decisions, he can run, he’s strong, he’s hard to tackle. He can do a lot of different things, beat you in a lot of different ways. We saw that in the game down there in ’13, so I would put him at the top of the list. Not saying the other guys aren’t a problem, because they are, but he’s public enemy no. 1.”
======
50? Name them.

No. You come on.
No.

I was referring to this if you need it spelled out -->BB has a long history of signing players who played well against his teams - Dillon, Welker, Rodney H., Amendola, Talib, Revis and about 20 others. Panther Cam played well against the Patriots. He went 2-0 against New England with 525 passing yards, 106 rushing yards, six passing touchdowns, and one interception in those games. He had a passer rating of 128.2 and 9.2 yards per attempt and a 72 percent completion rate in those games. Belichick took notice.

“I think when you’re talking about mobile quarterbacks, guys that are tough to handle, tackle, can throw, run, make good decisions—I mean, I would put Newton at the top of the list,” Belichick said then. “He makes good decisions, he can run, he’s strong, he’s hard to tackle. He can do a lot of different things, beat you in a lot of different ways. We saw that in the game down there in ’13, so I would put him at the top of the list. Not saying the other guys aren’t a problem, because they are, but he’s public enemy no. 1.”
======
50? Name them.
I think if we were getting Newton from 2015 that would be one thing but we picked him up on June 28 because he was a bargain because no team wanted him. I think this was more of a case of Bill realizing that Stid was not ready and he needed some sort of a band-aid. In this case, he got what he paid for.

I think it is too early to say this personally. I don't think he is as bad as he has shown the past couple of weeks and I am optimistic that his play will greatly improve.
I wish I could believe that. When you have to hang your hat on 350 yards passing in a loss, you get responses like stats are for losers. Otherwise, I have seen the Ravens 2019 offense. If we are going to run an option offense, then we should just run that. When Cam drops back, I get visions of the Drew Carey impersonation of Bernie Kosar.

I wish I could believe that. When you have to hang your hat on 350 yards passing in a loss, you get responses like stats are for losers. Otherwise, I have seen the Ravens 2019 offense. If we are going to run an option offense, then we should just run that. When Cam drops back, I get visions of the Drew Carey impersonation of Bernie Kosar.
I agree. Not sure why we are not playing more to his strengths. The main issue may be our TEs. You really need good blocking and passing TEs to run the Ravens O along with a great FB. That being said, more RPO's and mesh plays seem like the way to go. Having him drop back and survey the field has been a disaster.

No. You come on.
No.

======
50? Name them.
If I used what Bill said about another player as if we should sign them. Then we should sign every QB that the pats ever faced. Bill always praises QB's we face. Wait till we face the Jets, you will think we are playing Joe Montana that week. This 2-0 vs Brady thing...come on Chev. Lets sign Foles then....

I agree. Not sure why we are not playing more to his strengths. The main issue may be our TEs. You really need good blocking and passing TEs to run the Ravens O along with a great FB. That being said, more RPO's and mesh plays seem like the way to go. Having him drop back and survey the field has been a disaster.
Even that is kinda falling back from last year. Jackson is having a down year passing. Bottom line is this is a passing league. You can win games if you have a good enough team, but at some point, you are going to have to pass to win. Thats how it is, that is how it has been for years. Lamar Jackson was been knocked out of his first playoff games the lat two years and his team is stacked. Cam has moments, but this league especially at the QB position is about consistency. It always has been.

If I used what Bill said about another player as if we should sign them. Then we should sign every QB that the pats ever faced. Bill always praises QB's we face. Wait till we face the Jets, you will think we are playing Joe Montana that week. This 2-0 vs Brady thing...come on Chev. Lets sign Foles then....
You really refuse to look at this with even a hint of objectivity!

Fact:BB has pursued/signed MAMY, MANY players who the Pats had trouble handling on the field...always. His comments on Newton pre Pats are in complete line with that.

You really refuse to look at this with even a hint of objectivity!
I am, Bill talks up every player that he plays that week. You know this, I know this and lets stop pretending that he doesnt. He probably does think Cam was a good player, Cam is not now. So not sure what it has to do with anything. Cam beat the pats twice, who cares, how does that help now?

Fact:BB has pursued/signed MAMY, MANY players who the Pats had trouble handling on the field...always. His comments on Newton pre Pats are in complete line with that.
Peyton Manning beat the pats, maybe we should sign him. What a player did to the Pats before is not indicative to what they are now. He signed Cam because he was available and cheap, not because he beat the pats 3 years ago. He was not signing a 25 year old Cam, he was signing a 31 year old cam coming off shoulder surgery who has not played well since 2015.

It sure seems like at this point a tank this year will be best for the long run.

It makes it easier watching the team ..... the bed every week at least.
One thing you can bet your last dollar on is that Bill Belichick will never tank even a single game for a rookie, nevermind a season. Other teams do it, but the Pats never will until BB moves on. Why?.....because he respects the game of football and the guys that are in that locker room right now. He'll build it his way, not anybody else's.

He'd tank one to teach his team a lesson about how they need to play to win a ring and one or two other reasons, but never to take a single player even if he is Jesus in shoulder pads.

I'm wrong about a lot of shit, but not this one. Take that to the fucking bank.

One thing you can bet your last dollar on is that Bill Belichick will never tank even a single game for a rookie, nevermind a season. Other teams do it, but the Pats never will until BB moves on. Why?.....because he respects the game of football and the guys that are in that locker room right now. He'll build it his way, not anybody else's.

He'd tank one to teach his team a lesson about how they need to play to win a ring and one or two other reasons, but never to take a single player even if he is Jesus in shoulder pads.

I'm wrong about a lot of shit, but not this one. Take that to the fucking bank.
Its true, he wouldnt and its stupid to do that. There is no guarantee cannot miss player, it does not exist. Desperate teams do that, teams that have never won, teams that are firing coaches right and left, bad management at the top. Bill does not need to make a desperate move to keep his job.

Back