Week 8 Gamete Thread - Chargers

I think this is almost a must-win game. A win sends a statement and gives the Pats a tiebreaker over a playoff team.
It's definitely a must win mainly because the loss to Miami was an AFC loss. I can kinda live with the TB and Dallas losses knowing what I saw out of the club, but to get to .500 against a playoff contender, could be the elixir which sets this team into a groove.

A good test against the Pats OL since Bosa seems to wreak havoc in passing downs.

I expect a heavy dose of quick passes unless the OL proves they can contain Bosa. Luckily that's where Mac seems to excel.

I don't want to jinx anything, but I watched the matchup between Bosa and Onwenu pretty closely last year and Onwenu's game plan seemed to be to intimidate '
him early with some really big handpunches and Bosa didn't respond well to getting hit like that. Bosa always plays hard and fast, but he's not the biggest guy and
getting his hands on Mike was useless. He couldn't budge him or really do anything with him and didn't have his normal impact on the game where he normally
tortures rookies. I think he hit Newton once, but he was MIA a lot and Onwenu's back at RT (and not a moment too soon) which is Bosa's normal side.

We had a huge day on the ground and a lot of those yards went behind Big Mike. It'll be interesting to see what round 2 is like.

Chargers are 17th by DVOA (right above the Chiefs). The Patriots are 13th, so we should be favored in this one. I agree that it's a big game, especially because there's definitely scenarios possible where the Raiders and Bills win their respective divisions, and the Chargers are competing with the Patriots for a wildcard. Obviously it would be better for us to take care of business and win the division outright, but certainly a step towards that as well is winning against teams which are not literally the worst team in the NFL. I'm looking forward to it, should be a great game.

not sure if this was posted, and this could probably go in a few diff threads, but Damien Harris on GMFB is good stuff

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSjQd7BoJSU

I'd heard he was a special kind of guy when he was coming out of Bama and we all got a chance to see it in that interview with the GMFB crew. Plus, he's got some serious bass in his voice. Great voice.

I don't think he's got the credit he deserves for sheer guts to play with what appeared to be a serious chest injury and what did he do? Run nervous? Nope....he played like a runaway dumptruck crashing right into and over guys to play his best football yet. When a guy like him does something like that it gets the whole team fired up. Harris is a team leader now and he is as tough
as hell. It's pretty hard to be nursing a boo-boo and then watch your teammate respond the way he has.

We have proven that we can play with the better teams. But near wins do not count in the standings. It should be a shot in the arm for the Patriots to beat a good team on the road. It should give the team confidence moving forward.
A loss, even a close one, does not accomplish anything at this point in the season.

This is what I liked about Harris from the get-go. He said getting his degree was his biggest accomplishment to date and decided to stay his senior year to get his degree instead of going a year early for the draft.

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Damien Harris was one of 15 Alabama football players to graduate this past weekend at the university’s commencement. And for a player that has won two national championships, three SEC titles and rushed for 1,000 yards in back-to-back seasons, walking across the stage at Coleman Coliseum topped his list of experiences in college.

“It was my greatest accomplishment to date,” Harris said. “All the national championships we won, all the games we won are special. But graduating, getting my degree, that was the ultimate, ultimate celebration. My family was here, they’re all happy, they’re excited. So, it was just a great time.”

Harris chose to return for his senior season instead of entering his name in the 2018 NFL Draft. Wanting to be a part of this Crimson Tide program one more year was a significant reason for that decision. But so was earning his undergraduate degree before leaving for the league.

“It was one of the more important reasons why I came back,” Harris said. “My degree is something no one can ever take away from me, and the opportunity to come back and get it was something special for me and my family.”
8901442.png

Having him and Mac on the team is great for us.

View: https://twitter.com/DHx34/status/1387954961619763207?s=20

Last edited:
This is what I was looking for. One of his professors tweeted about him in 2018 saying Harris was the one who set the example for all the students.
https://twitter.com/BrianOliu

I have a special place in my heart for students that look out for other students. Student athletes have this mentality built in--it’s one of the things I admire & enjoy about teaching them. (A certain Samoan QB is good at this too.) A rising tide lifts all boats, yeah?

— Brian Oliu (@beoliu) November 24, 2018

But Damien is a perfect example of this--when my freshmen are slacking off, I can message Damien & he’ll take care of it. When you think of a model student-athlete, Damien is the guy. I’m grateful for him.

— Brian Oliu (@beoliu) November 24, 2018

^^Excellent news. Phew. Maybe Smith's shoulder was just a jam job and with the blowout, just got some ice on it. Still have no idea what the "abdomen" means.

Chargers have 2 wins and 2 losses against winning teams. No losses against teams with a losing record. Ugh.
I think it will take a great game plan by BB to win on the west coast against this 4-2 team.
wins
@WFT 20-16
@Chiefs 30-24
Raiders (5-2) 28-14
Browns (4-3) 47-42

losses
Cowboys (5-1) 20-17
@Ravens (5-2) 34-6

Chargers have 2 wins and 2 losses against winning teams. No losses against teams with a losing record. Ugh.
I think it will take a great game plan by BB to win on the west coast against this 4-2 team.
wins
@WFT 20-16
@Chiefs 30-24
Raiders (5-2) 28-14
Browns (4-3) 47-42

losses
Cowboys (5-1) 20-17
@Ravens (5-2) 34-6
Their Run D is not good. The key will be what it always is: Good, long drives, run the ball and don't turn it over. LA gets by with a good offense and QB that tries to control the clock on their side. If NE can get a turnover and not turn it over, our run game should be the difference. Their DL grades out pretty low vs the run. It's a big advantage for the Pats.

The Browns ran amuck all over them as did Baltimore.

I wouldn't put the Skins or Raiders run games above ours.

^^Excellent news. Phew. Maybe Smith's shoulder was just a jam job and with the blowout, just got some ice on it. Still have no idea what the "abdomen" means.
I told you. Either his tummy hurts OR BB doesn't care what we know.

I told you. Either his tummy hurts OR BB doesn't care what we know.
It's not necessarily me needing to know details, just does ANYONE know what that could be for any player on the injury report with such a designation. Clearly, nobody has an idea.

Back