Weird Question

Number Cruncher

Time to go.... NOW
Reaction score
Okay... this one always confused me...

Situation: Opening kickoff (or any kickoff really). The kicker places the tee and gets the kicking ball from an official. The official turns and jogs the 25 or so yards over to the sideline to check for members of the kicking team being offsides at the time of kick. The kicker places the ball on the tee and takes a number of steps back.. and to the right to prepare for kickoff. His teammates spread out to their starting positions to await the kickoff. The kicker raises his hand to inform the receiving team who will be delivering the football. He lowers his hand.. begins his approach and....

the wind knocks the ball off the tee.

The kicker recovers it and starts to replace it on the tee, that is, until the official jogs in the 25 yards from the sideline, takes the ball from the kicker and then hands it back to him. The kicker places the ball on the tee and the process begins again, hopefully resulting in a touchback or something after the successful kicking of the ball.

Why is it that the ref has to run in, touch the ball, and hand it back to the kicker? He was there about thirty seconds before and the ball was good to go. Is there a rule that the ball cannot touch the ground between the time the official hands the ball to the kicker and it is placed on the tee?

These things keep me up at night. :)

Anyone know what the deal is? Have you noticed this yourselves?

Situation: Opening kickoff (or any kickoff really). The kicker places the tee and gets the kicking ball from an official. The official turns and jogs the 25 or so yards over to the sideline to check for members of the kicking team being offsides at the time of kick. The kicker places the ball on the tee and takes a number of steps back.. and to the right to prepare for kickoff. His teammates spread out to their starting positions to await the kickoff. The kicker raises his hand to inform the receiving team who will be delivering the football. He lowers his hand.. begins his approach and....

The kicker recovers it and starts to replace it on the tee, that is, until the official jogs in the 25 yards from the sideline, takes the ball from the kicker and then hands it back to him. The kicker places the ball on the tee and the process begins again, hopefully resulting in a touchback or something after the successful kicking of the ball.

Why is it that the ref has to run in, touch the ball, and hand it back to the kicker? He was there about thirty seconds before and the ball was good to go. Is there a rule that the ball cannot touch the ground between the time the official hands the ball to the kicker and it is placed on the tee?

Damn I won't sleep a wink and I'm up at 5:00 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Dj6p0KnSKqY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I believe they have medication you can take for this now.

The official needs to handle the ball to reset the play clock for the kick off.

If the ball falls off the tee, the kicking team can not kick it and have to reset the ball on the tee. The official intervenes so that the play clock can be reset so the kicking team does not have to run up set it themselves run back and try to kick if before the first play clock runs out.

A ball falling off the tee is not a penalty to the kicking team.

If it falls off a second time, they are forced to use a holder.

its not anymore confusing as to why when someone is put to death by lethal injection they have to rub the arm with an alcohol swab before inserting the I.V.

Lawyers, that's why.

Suppose you don't swab the inmate's arm, and the Governor calls at the last second with a reprieve.

Suppose the inmate's arm then becomes infected ... and a subsequent DNA test exonerates the inmate.

Lawyers, that's why.

Suppose you don't swab the inmate's arm, and the Governor calls at the last second with a reprieve.

Suppose the inmate's arm then becomes infected ... and a subsequent DNA test exonerates the inmate.

God kills him.

Then looks down and says “You folk are idiots!”

its not anymore confusing as to why when someone is put to death by lethal injection they have to rub the arm with an alcohol swab before inserting the I.V.
This baffled me, also, until I read this:

There is always a chance that an inmate’s sentence will be commuted to life without parole, a stay of execution is ordered or the inmate is completely exonerated moments before death. And yes, this does happen, albeit rarely. That's why they have a phone in death chambers.

Now, let's say the state decided to forgo the proper sterilization procedures and right as they stuck the needle in (which would mean the lethal drugs hadn't yet been administered) the governor commutes the inmate’s sentence. If the inmate got an infection and died, their family could sue for killing them.

There is always a chance that an inmate’s sentence will be commuted to life without parole, a stay of execution is ordered or the inmate is completely exonerated moments before death. And yes, this does happen, albeit rarely. That's why they have a phone in death chambers.

Now, let's say the state decided to forgo the proper sterilization procedures and right as they stuck the needle in (which would mean the lethal drugs hadn't yet been administered) the governor commutes the inmate’s sentence. If the inmate got an infection and died, their family could sue for killing them.

Yeah the odds those things happen are about the same as the jets winning the SB.

After appeals and what not most inmates on death row are there for something like 7 or 9 years.

Lawyers, that's why.

Yeah ... I'm not seeing the difference here.:shrug_n:

Yeah the odds those things happen are about the same as the jets winning the SB.

let's be real here...MUCH greater chance of those things happening than the JETE winning a Super Bowl.

Back