Welcome back, Trent Brown

That's interesting, we're getting Trent Brown back? Great news.

Brown is adjusting his contract according to Rapoport to make it happen. We know the Pats will go run heavy next season, this is another cog. I wonder will Bill go for a double with Gruden and take Matiota as well??

Last edited:
That is some negotiating from Brown's perspective. Leaving Las Vegas and getting a cool up to 11 mil on a one year deal. Going back to the place that was a big piece of the last mega deal he got. Becoming a free agent again at 28 years old. Good for him. I really don't know how much better a deal he could have been part of.

I think it means Thuney is gone.
Good trade. Now I hope we sign Andrews.
Oline is downright beastly on the right side.

As long as he stays healthy, it's a great pick up
And if we can keep him away from this kind of stuff.
Raiders offensive tackle Trent Brown was wheeled out of the locker room in Cleveland last week and taken to the hospital with what has been described as a mishap with an intravenous injection.
Reports indicate air entered his bloodstream during the application of the IV and potentially put him at risk of suffering an embolism.

The exact frequency of such a routine procedure going wrong is difficult to nail down because not all cases are reported as the effects can be relatively minor at times. Pinegar said his preliminary research indicated anywhere from .003 percent to .1 percent rate of occurrence.

From the Las Vegas Review.

Raiders offensive tackle Trent Brown was wheeled out of the locker room in Cleveland last week and taken to the hospital with what has been described as a mishap with an intravenous injection.
Reports indicate air entered his bloodstream during the application of the IV and potentially put him at risk of suffering an embolism.

The exact frequency of such a routine procedure going wrong is difficult to nail down because not all cases are reported as the effects can be relatively minor at times. Pinegar said his preliminary research indicated anywhere from .003 percent to .1 percent rate of occurrence.

Well, that's on the IV folks putting in the catheter and leaving air in the IV tube when giving fluids. That's not on TBrown.

Happy to see the giant Trent Brown back, but this must mean Thuney is 100% gone. I had hopes he would end up re-signing.

Happy to see the giant Trent Brown back, but this must mean Thuney is 100% gone. I had hopes he would end up re-signing.

He may still be back, who knows, maybe there is an informal agreement that Pats don't tag, let him test open market and let Pats match or let him go.

Pretty sure Pats have done that with the likes of Hightower and DMac previously, who both signed back with the Pats after hitting FA

i remember that... i doubt he was ever in real jeopardy though, as it takes a lot of air to induce an embolism...

From Hannible on what this trade means for the Oline overall:

First off, it means a few of their current veterans may not be back, as the team cannot pay everyone. Joe Thuney and David Andrews are both free agents and then Marcus Cannon reportedly plans on playing in 2021 after opting out last year, but carries a $9 million cap hit.

As of now, it appears Thuney has a very slim chance of returning given he’s the best guard on the market and will certain get plenty of big offers, which the Patriots won’t match. It’s complicated for Cannon considering the team already has Isaiah Wynn, who is going into his fourth season (did miss all of 2018), so it could release the veteran with his high cap hit, or it could set up for a massive shake-up along the offensive line (more on that to come). It doesn’t seem to impact Andrews all that much since the Patriots do have the fourth-most cap space in the league, so they can spend money and Andrews plays strictly center.

A number of the Patriots’ offensive linemen have versatility, which makes it very hard to predict what this means for the unit next season.

For starters, does Brown play left tackle or right tackle? If it’s right tackle that could signal Cannon isn’t in the plans, as he doesn’t have as much versatility as others. In that scenario, it would be Wynn at left tackle and Brown at right tackle. Wynn was viewed as a guard coming out of the draft, so there’s a chance to slide him inside. The same goes for rookie Michael Onwenu, who played outstanding at right tackle last year, but his natural position is inside. Bill Belichick said towards the end of the season the team would need to decide on what to do with him moving forward.

Onwenu seems likely to move inside and replace Thuney at left guard and then the team will have to decide what to do at the tackle spots. If it believes in Wynn, it would make sense to keep him at left tackle, Brown at right tackle and release Cannon.

There’s also Justin Herron, a late-round pick last year, who played a number of spots last season. He’s more of a backup, though.

Another thing to consider is the Patriots aren’t done making moves and the unit is not a finished product. Perhaps, there’s more clarity in the coming days and weeks.

Bottom line, the Patriots’ offensive line will look a lot different in 2021 and the majority of players involved have a ton of versatility so a lot is on the table.

I suppose I should go with the flow here, but the Trent Brown that I watched playing for the Raiders wasn't the same guy that we saw here. He appeared lazy and even more out of shape than ever. For the money they paid him he should have been a high-performing LT and he was an underwhelming RT.

Let's see how he deals with the conditioning program before we get overly excited, but he knows what to expect, so maybe he knows that he needs the program here to be the best that he can
be. I think people in the Raiders organization expected much more than they got.

I suppose I should go with the flow here, but the Trent Brown that I watched playing for the Raiders wasn't the same guy that we saw here. He appeared lazy and even more out of shape than ever. For the money they paid him he should have been a high-performing LT and he was an underwhelming RT.

Let's see how he deals with the conditioning program before we get overly excited, but he knows what to expect, so maybe he knows that he needs the program here to be the best that he can
be. I think people in the Raiders organization expected much more than they got.

He was always a good run blocker but he couldn't pass block well when he got here. Scar helped with that and Brown became slightly below avg in pass pro by season's end.
Brown was still the weakest link on our OL but he could push defenders wherever he wanted in the run game.
Maybe Scar will come back for a week or two.

Brown - Wynn -Andrews - Mason - Owenwu
I like the looks of that
Depending on the cap we may even be able to keep Thuney. Which would be a nice problem to have. I think Cannon is gone. Great guy, good career.

Don't feel like hunting up the tweet, but tb77 said, and I'm paraphrasing here, money don't mean shit if you ain't happy

I'm hoping the change of scenery does him well

Back