Welker throws Asante under the bus...

I would love to see Welker in Black and Gold...You guys have a great receiver there for years to come.

I just find it odd that he decided to be the team spokesman on loyalty and championships.

Comn Ray you are over analyzing this statement SO much.

That is HARDLY what he said. It was a casual passing statement that honored a players ability and spoke to the business side of the NFL AND has ALOT of historic evidence to back it up on top of that.

How many players that left this team (other than Adam) ended up even competing for a ring? Most left to a good paycheck and obscurity.

That is HARDLY what he said. It was a casual passing statement that honored a players ability and spoke to the business side of the NFL AND has ALOT of historic evidence to back it up on top of that.

How many players that left this team (other than Adam) ended up even competing for a ring? Most left to a good paycheck and obscurity.

cough cough Branch cough cough

Point is...

IMO...Arrogance had a role in a disappointing end to his season last year, but it doesn't appear he's eaten any of that humble pie yet.

To quote the great Gary Coleman... What the @#$& you talkin' about, Willis?

Arrogance? In Wes Welker? And he needs to eat humble pie because he (gasp!) had the balls to say that A$$sante's a great player who went elsewhere for the money?

WTF?

The season must be getting closer. The trolls who rarely post are starting to stay stupider things...

But that said, I see your point. Brady or Bruschi would have more gravitas on the champion issue. I just don't see Welker as an inappropriate spokesman since we're talking about the next ring, not the ones in the past.

I think Welker has done more than enough to allow him to say whatever the eff he wants. The man is a gamer, he works hard and puts his money where his mouth is. He is the quintessential Patriot, IMHO.

Arrogance? In Wes Welker? And he needs to eat humble pie because he (gasp!) had the balls to say that A$$sante's a great player who went elsewhere for the money?

WTF?

The season must be getting closer. The trolls who rarely post are starting to stay stupider things...

NO schitt. Hello? REALITY anyone? What did you listen to Skip Bayless this morning Ray? Only he would make the leap of (non)logic you are making here.

Asante has every right to take the deal that he did. He's an NFL champion and is now rich beyond his wildest dreams.

On the flip-side though, Welker has every right to voice that sentiment as his primary goal is to be a champion over being rich. I am sure Asante could care less what Welker has to say but I also imagine that Welker did not intend to take a shot at Asante as it's probably being perceived.

Add him to a long list and THANK you Muse for not ignoring me.

Yes there is a list out there of players doing this to former teams. If that is what you are doing admit it say it out loud, I can at least respect you for being honest in that respect. But to say your going to a new team and you are going to either bring them a ring etc etc etc, and then fizzle out? Just be honest people and say yes I am leaving for money, my kids need food on the table and clothes on their backs. They need the latest cell phone and IPOD, and oh yes they need a new car when they turn 16. Oh let's not forget the latest fashions, my poor kids yes I left for more money say it out loud and clear at least be up front about it.

Asante has every right to take the deal that he did. He's an NFL champion and is now rich beyond his wildest dreams.

On the flip-side though, Welker has every right to voice that sentiment as his primary goal is to be a champion over being rich. I am sure Asante could care less what Welker has to say but I also imagine that Welker did not intend to take a shot at Asante as it's probably being perceived.

Well said as usual! (HI stan.:)

It may be a bit of an overanalysis. And he did state exactly what the situation is, but inadvertantly or not, he states NE is going to put at least 2 more SB wins in the book while Asante is with the Eagles.

IMO...that percieved arrogance is what makes your team unlikable to many.

Kind of like the way people hate the Yankees.

Yes there is a list out there of players doing this to former teams. If that is what you are doing admit it say it out loud, I can at least respect you for being honest in that respect. But to say your going to a new team and you are going to either bring them a ring etc etc etc, and then fizzle out? Just be honest people and say yes I am leaving for money, my kids need food on the table and clothes on their backs. They need the latest cell phone and IPOD, and oh yes they need a new car when they turn 16. Oh let's not forget the latest fashions, my poor kids yes I left for more money say it out loud and clear at least be up front about it.

Did Asante or Branch make that claim?

RIGHT On Sistah..any fan that half pays attention knows 'bout the dirty business of the NFL and wouldn't a little honesty be nice from these players that are OBVIOSULY chasing Money?

It may be a bit of an overanalysis. And he did state exactly what the situation is, but inadvertantly or not, he states NE is going to put at least 2 more SB wins in the book while Asante is with the Eagles.

But ah we have reasons to hate the Yankees, they are the Yankees:blink:

Agreed.

Did Asante or Branch make that claim?

RIGHT On Sistah..any fan that half pays attention knows 'bout the dirty business of the NFL and wouldn't a little honesty be nice from these players that are OBVIOSULY chasing Money?

Asante did, not sure about Branch, he became obscure to me when he went to the West Coach

Well, I other than BB (who DOES come across as arrogant:)) I don't see it in any of our players really. ESP not Welker even if he did say those words. What player doesn't start the year thinking his team is going to win it all outside of Oakland or Detriot?:)

THat "perceived arrogance" is another ESPN fabrication.

WTF?

"He chose money over championships, and that's the way it goes sometimes."

Read it again. Especially the plural of championship.

Everybody should expect to win a championship every year. However, I don't think you should put it in quotes. Especially when you've never won one.

I am not trying to be a troll. Just wondering how much arrogance has trickled down to bean town after a year in which three teams contended for championships.

My curiosity has been satisfied.

Can't wait till the end of November.

"He chose money over championships, and that's the way it goes sometimes."

Read it again. Especially the plural of championship.

Everybody should expect to win a championship every year. However, I don't think you should put it in quotes. Especially when you've never won one.

I am not trying to be a troll. Just wondering how much arrogance has trickled down to bean town after a year in which three teams contended for championships.

My curiosity has been satisfied.

Can't wait till the end of November.
Whether you're trying to be a troll or not, you are being ridiculous.

Asante chose to put him in a situation in which he has less chance of winning championships. He signed a multi-year deal with an inferior team.

Based on our responses to Welker's quote, you now think that you have an insight into how much arrogance has seeped into bean town (and I assume you mean Boston fans).

First, the responses here have been level headed.

Second, this is a classic pot calling the kettle black case, as it's nothing but arrogant to think you have a feel for Boston sports fans off this limited exchange.

Third, you've been trying desparately to make your point all along, when it's clear that Welker was just stating the obvious: Samuel chose to maximize money over the chance to be on the Vegas favorite for this year, and a team that is very likely to be favored over the Eagles for many years to come.

Last, how this exchange relates to the beat down the Pats are going to put on the Steelers -- again -- in late November is beyond me.

Back