Were on to Dallas

Our coaching?

I've not been pleased with Fat Mac in game calls. Lots and lots of in-game head scratching decisions. So in-game he scares me. Clock management, play calls , etc.. But on the flip side I think he's brought a new attitude to the Cowboys. There's a different "air" about the team where there is a closeness and they play hard for 60 minutes. I'll give McCarthy credit for they. I think he's managing the team well. I also think he was behind dumping Jaylon Smith which I totally agreed with. I'll give him a B. There's good and bad. (A lot of what a HC does the average fan never sees)

OC Kellen Moore is bright and is figuring some of the finer points of setting up plays with plays and trying to manipulate the D. Smart guy and innovative. Better this year than last and he and Dak are on the same page. I like him. We'll be lucky to keep him. Solid A grade

Side note: Dallas D was historically bad last year mostly because a new system, COVID, and DC Mike Nolan's complicated scheme. I blamed Fat Mike as Nolan was his hand picked guy. Jerry Jones went out and got Quinn this year.

Dan Quinn, DC. I didn't know what to think on him. From what I read he's doing nothing like he did in Atlanta or Seattle. Also in the draft this year he went to Jerry Jones/ Stephen Jones/Will McClay . . . the personnel guys (yeah ... we have no real GM and that's why we've sucked under Jerrah Jones) . . . told them what kind of players he wanted. Dallas had 11 picks and went defense on 10. Also picked up some of Quinn's guys from Atlanta Keanu Neal and DaMontae Kazee along with Malik Hooker in free agency. They've all worked out well. So far, I think the D is maturing but a long way from a congruent unit. Lots of rookies and new faces. Quinn has an A-. The minus just because they give up tons of yardage and have to every opponent. So far it hasn't bitten us except against Tampon Bay.

I like our position group coaches too. Everyone's on the same page it seems. Joe Philbin, OL coach, has been really good. Dallas is starting a 2nd year UDFA at RT. (former RT La'el Collins, pro bowler 2019 - suspended and stoopid --- look it up).

I'll admit. I'm a bit worried going against BB. He's the best in the world at defensive design. It'll be our good offense, your good defense/defensive coach against our OK defense and y'all's OK offense. (I can say y'all can't I?)

Look, every week I go to the opposing team's message board, feel their thoughts out on their team, and just talk football.

It's really strange the different attitudes with each fanbase. We played Carolina 2 weeks ago and those folks for the most part were out of touch with reality and beyond salty! Y'all want to discuss the game without bloviating. I won't troll.

If you want to explore the Cowboy's message board is Cowboyszone. There is some (no, a lot) of stoopid over there but a few good and knowledgeable posters. Even a couple of ex-players/players's wives/retired college coaches . Just have to wade through the fluff from the 20 somethings (I'm 67, Cowboy fan since 1966).

I'll admit. I'm a bit worried going against BB. He's the best in the world at defensive design. It'll be our good offense, your good defense/defensive coach against our OK defense and y'all's OK offense. (I can say y'all can't I?)

Look, every week I go to the opposing team's message board, feel their thoughts out on their team, and just talk football.

It's really strange the different attitudes with each fanbase. We played Carolina 2 weeks ago and those folks for the most part were out of touch with reality and beyond salty! Y'all want to discuss the game without bloviating. I won't troll.

If you want to explore the Cowboy's message board is Cowboyszone. There is some (no, a lot) of stoopid over there but a few good and knowledgeable posters. Even a couple of ex-players/players's wives/retired college coaches . Just have to wade through the fluff from the 20 somethings (I'm 67, Cowboy fan since 1966).
That's cool. I live in NC so I know all about Carolina fans. They don't get their owners have been more concerned about getting people giddy over jerseys of people like Newton or McCaffrey now, where it's a finicky market for pro sports, and they've never won a SB, so they get pretty angry. Carolina is one of those markets that tries to make quick fixes so they don't lose ticket sales.

Plus, if you're a Cowboys fan they're going to think you're talking down to them.

I am familiar with Carolina fans and do watch the Panthers since it is in the region.
You want out of touch? Go to a game there. LOLOL

The first time I went to watch my Pats play them, the men behind us were knowledgable and appreciated that we knew football, and by we I mean me, and it was enjoyable. They were mature. The other two times, was exhausting. It is a shame since they have so much to be proud of with the team and the players they have.

It doesn't help that their previous owner was a dick.

Feel free to stay after the game. That is how we get some of our members on this board. :)

Last edited:

Welcome to the Planet!! :beer:

I was a Cowboys fan back in the late 70's through very early 90's as I was serving in the military at the time and lost touch with my NE roots, though I wasn't a very big football fan even during those years I served. Anyways, this should be a good game, I like Dak and think he doesn't get enough respect in the league and it sucked watching him get carried off the field last year. I think our defense will match up against your offense (basically a wash) and think it will come down to how our offense does against your defense, I think that's the deciding factor in this one.

I'm only here visiting. It was an easy registration and signup. :cool:
My first post on your board. Longtime Cowboy fan. I'll start out by saying I know very little about your team as I've only watched the Tampon Bay game national telecast.

Lots of respect for BB though.

Thought I'd correct a few things. Michael Gallup is on IR and has been for 4 weeks (bruised calf ???WTH???). Played only partially in our first game. Also out is Dallas best DL in DeMarcus Lawrence the LDE. He's spent 4 weeks on IR (foot fracture).

Also saw where someone said the defense was mediocre or something like that. It's actually pretty bad. Pass defense especially. I can go into detail.

Dallas will start 3 rookies on the DL and Randy Gregory at RDE who has never played a complete season because of his love for the bong (not that there's anything wrong with that). They'll rotate in a couple of guys they picked up in FA at Home Depot in the middle (3 tech). Behind the DL is rookie MLB Parsons with Leighton Vander Esch whom I had heard BB was high on in the 2018 draft. Both SS and FS are new this year. With all that new blood on D then a new coordinator/system they are giving up lots of chunk plays. Dallas plays lots of 4-2-5.

Offense is balanced and obviously the strength of the team. Someone called Zeke's running mate a "scat back" but that's a misnomer. Tony Pollard is actually 215 lbs but does run better outside.

On Dak. He's matured quite a bit. Not easily confused (if anyone can though it would be BB). Runs through his progressions well. Has been one of the fastest in the League at getting the ball out. He's been blitzed A LOT !

I'll answer any questions or give insight if asked.
Why isn't Randy Gregory in jail? I'll hang up and listen. (Welcome btw)

Our coaching?

I've not been pleased with Fat Mac in game calls. Lots and lots of in-game head scratching decisions. So in-game he scares me. Clock management, play calls , etc.. But on the flip side I think he's brought a new attitude to the Cowboys. There's a different "air" about the team where there is a closeness and they play hard for 60 minutes. I'll give McCarthy credit for they. I think he's managing the team well. I also think he was behind dumping Jaylon Smith which I totally agreed with. I'll give him a B. There's good and bad. (A lot of what a HC does the average fan never sees)

OC Kellen Moore is bright and is figuring some of the finer points of setting up plays with plays and trying to manipulate the D. Smart guy and innovative. Better this year than last and he and Dak are on the same page. I like him. We'll be lucky to keep him. Solid A grade

Side note: Dallas D was historically bad last year mostly because a new system, COVID, and DC Mike Nolan's complicated scheme. I blamed Fat Mike as Nolan was his hand picked guy. Jerry Jones went out and got Quinn this year.

Dan Quinn, DC. I didn't know what to think on him. From what I read he's doing nothing like he did in Atlanta or Seattle. Also in the draft this year he went to Jerry Jones/ Stephen Jones/Will McClay . . . the personnel guys (yeah ... we have no real GM and that's why we've sucked under Jerrah Jones) . . . told them what kind of players he wanted. Dallas had 11 picks and went defense on 10. Also picked up some of Quinn's guys from Atlanta Keanu Neal and DaMontae Kazee along with Malik Hooker in free agency. They've all worked out well. So far, I think the D is maturing but a long way from a congruent unit. Lots of rookies and new faces. Quinn has an A-. The minus just because they give up tons of yardage and have to every opponent. So far it hasn't bitten us except against Tampon Bay.

I like our position group coaches too. Everyone's on the same page it seems. Joe Philbin, OL coach, has been really good. Dallas is starting a 2nd year UDFA at RT. (former RT La'el Collins, pro bowler 2019 - suspended and stoopid --- look it up).

I'm a big fan of Kellen Moore as OC. He had solid training under Chris Peterson and Bryan Harsin at Boise State running their Fly Offense. It's a little bit of Air Coryell, a little bit of the inverted triple option and a little West Coast all melted together to get all kinds of motion to confuse defenses. Then he translated the plays into the Erhardt-Perkins language to make it easier for his players to learn. The guy's terrific in my book.

I am familiar with Carolina fans and do watch the Panthers since it is in the region.
You want out of touch? Go to a game there. LOLOL

The first time I went to watch my Pats play them, the men behind us were knowledgable and appreciated that we knew football, and by we I mean me, and it was enjoyable. They were mature. The other two times, was exhausting. It is a shame since they have so much to be proud of with the team and the players they have.

It doesn't help that their preveious owner was a dick.

Feel free to stay after the game. That is how we get some of our members on this board. :)
They're fans overall aren't that knowledgeable, honestly. I go to (or had been going to) a couple Tar Heels games a season and it's a bunch of happy homers if you ask me.

Welcome LeStranger, Tip of the Landry Fedora to you.

Thomas-W-Landry-lsfm.jpg

Why isn't Gregory in jail?

I think because he's never been arrested or charged. Failed multiple piss tests though. Been out of the league more than in the league.

I think now they are controlling his professionally diagnosed mental illness with pharmaceuticals. If he's still on the lettuce then I 'm pretty sure the League policy is "no-ban".

He's a good footballer, and I've heard him talk. His thoughts are organized and succinct. Not a classic drughead.

OTH I heard L:amar Jackson's post game last night ... WOW ... couldn't put forth a coherent thought. That made me wonder if he'd been concussed.

Last edited:
They're fans overall aren't that knowledgeable, honestly. I go to (or had been going to) a couple Tar Heels games a season and it's a bunch of happy homers if you ask me.
I have talked to some knowledgeable fans so am not going to blanket all of them. I am not a TH fan, my fandom is nine miles away.

Anyhoo, onward to Dallas

Y'all seem cool. Thanks for the welcome. I'll open up a bit.

I'll at least tell y'all who I am. Retired critical care RN, specialized in neuro trauma. Live actually in East Texas out in the boonies about 200 miles SE of Dallas and only 100 miles northeast of Houston. Wife is Canadian born(New Brunswick) and a hockey fan, Maple Leafs. She doesn't care too much for football. I was never exposed to hockey here in Texas but will watch it during the playoffs because of the intensity. I hunt, fish, collect and shoot, and keep up my acreage which is heavily wooded. I'm now a kept man. We lived in New England a while in Bangor Maine where my oldest was born and I still go back. In fact I was there in May (pic below). Even though I'm older my oldest son is only 24 ... I was 41 when he was born.

I'm surprised the number of you familiar with the Carolina fanbase. I'm familiar with the Philly, NYG and of course the Houston fanbases (such that it is). Dallas fans can have an arrogance to them which after 25 years is very unwarranted. I remember well the good years in Dallas, especially the 1970's. Y'all should count your blessings for what you've been able to partake in for the last almost 20 years.

BTW, Roberto, I have and occasionally wear my fedora. Landry was a good and innovative coach and a good man!

OK, I'm having problems getting the quote function to work here. I click on "quote" and expect a box to pop with the text I want to quote and room to respond. Ain't happening.

Attachments

• 189005235_4108078942568549_5396033292788685389_n.jpg
    189005235_4108078942568549_5396033292788685389_n.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 4

I'll at least tell y'all who I am. Retired critical care RN, specialized in neuro trauma. Live actually in East Texas out in the boonies about 200 miles SE of Dallas and only 100 miles northeast of Houston. Wife is Canadian born(New Brunswick) and a hockey fan, Maple Leafs. She doesn't care too much for football. I was never exposed to hockey here in Texas but will watch it during the playoffs because of the intensity. I hunt, fish, collect and shoot, and keep up my acreage which is heavily wooded. I'm now a kept man. We lived in New England a while in Bangor Maine where my oldest was born and I still go back. In fact I was there in May (pic below). Even though I'm older my oldest son is only 24 ... I was 41 when he was born.

I'm surprised the number of you familiar with the Carolina fanbase. I'm familiar with the Philly, NYG and of course the Houston fanbases (such that it is). Dallas fans can have an arrogance to them which after 25 years is very unwarranted. I remember well the good years in Dallas, especially the 1970's. Y'all should count your blessings for what you've been able to partake in for the last almost 20 years.

BTW, Roberto, I have and occasionally wear my fedora. Landry was a good and innovative coach and a good man!

OK, I'm having problems getting the quote function to work here. I click on "quote" and expect a box to pop with the text I want to quote and room to respond. Ain't happening.
Thank you for sharing. I am from a border town just across Canada. I have relatives that are Canadian and relatives who live in Bangor as well.

Small world. 🙂

I have relatives on my husband's side who are Dallas fans. Nicest people you ever want to meet but as fans oh my gosh. They are very intense but so am I so I get it.

A lot of us live in the area now that's why we're very familiar with Carolina but also a lot of us keep tabs of other teams as well so you get a mixture of both.

Last edited:

The quote button is to add that post to a multi quote.

If you just want to quote a single message, just hit reply on that message and it appears in the Quick reply box.

And :smilies-11117:

It’s not hatred. I think BB is a fine coach in terms of his game planning. He may be the best defensive game planner ever in terms of prepping a team for a specific opponent.
I do however have a major problem with his personal decisions, and on field offensive play calling that’s happened under his watch since roughly 08 onward.
I was called a troll, and patriots hater all off-season for doubting his personal moves, specifically with regard to the tight ends.
There’s 20 million or more invested now per year at the position. Are y’all still going to call me crazy for doubting that investment?

Everyone is very sensitive about Brady. I try hard not to bring him up. It’s rare that I do unless responding to someone else, but I’ll say this. After ten years of being treated like a child and having to cover for awful person decisions by BB while taking reasonable contracts I don’t blame him at all if he wanted out. Gronk literally retired rather than play for him. That’s two people who are literally the best ever at their respective positions who said they would rather leave than be under BB.
Dallas is good. Their defense has improved and is better than most casual fans realize. Im not a troll to hope we get out of this one with no injuries.

2008,,, I have to assume that's a typo, otherwise your complaining about a dominant decade and that's really crazy.

Just wow

Ahh, good to see a fellow hunter and gun nut on this board, we are a rare breed these days.

Thank you for sharing. I am from a border town just across Canada. I have relatives that are Canadian and relatives who live in Bangor as well.

Small world. 🙂

I have relatives on my husband's side who are Dallas fans. Nicest people you ever want to meet but as fans oh my gosh. They are very intense but so am I so I get it.

A lot of us live in the area now that's why we're very familiar with Carolina but also a lot of us keep tabs of other teams as well so you get a mixture of both.
Wife is from Minto, NB. which is east of Fredericton about 30 miles. Haven't been back with the border uncertainty. 2018 was our last visit to NB. I miss it.

Wife is from Minto, NB. which is east of Fredericton about 30 miles. Haven't been back with the border uncertainty. 2018 was our last visit to NB. I miss it.
I go every year to check up on my mom. In 2020 we went in Feb before shit hit the fan in March. This year unfortunately we're not able to go because of well you know. We always end up across the border to visit relatives to hang out and you know visit.

I do miss home and I miss that culture of being close to Canada. The Maine/Canada experience is special. I'm not sure if your wife is familiar with the term Acadian but that's what my family is.

Before I forget, thank you for your service in the medical field.

I'm not sure if you saw my question or maybe you answered it and I didn't see it. I asked about your special team and your punter/kicker. How good are they?

Ahh, good to see a fellow hunter and gun nut on this board, we are a rare breed these days.
Have a half brother who lives in Anchorage. Good guy ! Dad was in Alaska from 1971 -1994 from Bethel to east of Fairbanks. Chasing the gold !

I've raised both of my sons to respect the Constitution and understand 2A. I've added 2 to our ranks.

Back