We're on to Houstan: Gamete Thread

Last week I was pretty happy with the game, even though it was a loss. This week I'm pretty unhappy even though it's a win. IMO, this was their overall worst game of the year.

They should have been up pretty big early. They forced 3 4th downs, only to be victimized by aggressive play calling. They should have had 2 TDs in their first 2 possessions and off to the races, but for another untimely Harris fumble. The 2nd Texans TD was flukey as hell, and on an error from the unlikeliest of sources.

Mac, despite his solid numbers, made some head scratching decisions. I counted 4, maybe 5, passes that were INT worthy. Harris wasn't great, and then he was hurt. Stevenson was playing tentative. He might be the sort of player you can't reign in without breaking what makes him special - some players just have to rock out with their cock out, so to speak - but it's still early days. Meyer's drop was bad, but he's earned a couple brain farts I guess. Aghalor was soft on his cuts, Harry showed up. Henry is looking positive, and I noticed that Jonnu didn't have many targets, this week or last. I wonder if Mac is taking some time to rebuild the trust in him.

On defense, the game plan should have worked - take Cooks away and make them beat you with pretty much anything else. The execution wasn't even terrible in terms of assignments, etc. But the effort was horrible, and as a result everyone seemed to be a step slow, slightly overpowered, and just sluggish. McCourty was terrible, as has been discussed. Dugger was pretty bad. Williams was bad. Davis and Godcheaux were getting pushed around at the POA. Judon and Barmore were good, though even Judon was sluggish early. Jones was pretty good. Hightower looked much better than he has all year, and was the biggest factor in keeping the wraps on their run game.

The comeback wasn't all it was made out to be. Yes, they scored on their last four possessions. But one of those was still a 3 and out...it just happened to start in FG range. The defense was really behind the comeback, even without generating turnovers. They got their feet under them and had a fire lit. The offense barely did what needed to be done: Mac threw another near INT that would have probably finished them. They were bailed out by a RTP that was... accurate, but ticky-tack.

And yet, they were gifted chances to stay in the game, and they generally took advantage of them. Instead of finding a way to lose a game they should have won, like they did vs Miami and Tampa, they found a way to win a game they had every reason to lose. That's very positive. Last week's loss reminded me of the loss to the Rams in 2001. This win kinda reminded me of the win against the Chargers earlier that same year.

I'm hoping that this week signals the reemergence of Hightower, both as a player and as a leader. Judon provides the fire, High and DMac provide the discipline and stability. They will sorely need the discipline and stability on that side of the ball this week.

Last week I was pretty happy with the game, even though it was a loss. This week I'm pretty unhappy even though it's a win. IMO, this was their overall worst game of the year.

They should have been up pretty big early. They forced 3 4th downs, only to be victimized by aggressive play calling. They should have had 2 TDs in their first 2 possessions and off to the races, but for another untimely Harris fumble. The 2nd Texans TD was flukey as hell, and on an error from the unlikeliest of sources.

Mac, despite his solid numbers, made some head scratching decisions. I counted 4, maybe 5, passes that were INT worthy. Harris wasn't great, and then he was hurt. Stevenson was playing tentative. He might be the sort of player you can't reign in without breaking what makes him special - some players just have to rock out with their cock out, so to speak - but it's still early days. Meyer's drop was bad, but he's earned a couple brain farts I guess. Aghalor was soft on his cuts, Harry showed up. Henry is looking positive, and I noticed that Jonnu didn't have many targets, this week or last. I wonder if Mac is taking some time to rebuild the trust in him.

On defense, the game plan should have worked - take Cooks away and make them beat you with pretty much anything else. The execution wasn't even terrible in terms of assignments, etc. But the effort was horrible, and as a result everyone seemed to be a step slow, slightly overpowered, and just sluggish. McCourty was terrible, as has been discussed. Dugger was pretty bad. Williams was bad. Davis and Godcheaux were getting pushed around at the POA. Judon and Barmore were good, though even Judon was sluggish early. Jones was pretty good. Hightower looked much better than he has all year, and was the biggest factor in keeping the wraps on their run game.

The comeback wasn't all it was made out to be. Yes, they scored on their last four possessions. But one of those was still a 3 and out...it just happened to start in FG range. The defense was really behind the comeback, even without generating turnovers. They got their feet under them and had a fire lit. The offense barely did what needed to be done: Mac threw another near INT that would have probably finished them. They were bailed out by a RTP that was... accurate, but ticky-tack.

And yet, they were gifted chances to stay in the game, and they generally took advantage of them. Instead of finding a way to lose a game they should have won, like they did vs Miami and Tampa, they found a way to win a game they had every reason to lose. That's very positive. Last week's loss reminded me of the loss to the Rams in 2001. This win kinda reminded me of the win against the Chargers earlier that same year.

I'm hoping that this week signals the reemergence of Hightower, both as a player and as a leader. Judon provides the fire, High and DMac provide the discipline and stability. They will sorely need the discipline and stability on that side of the ball this week.
I wasn't happy about last week...the Pats should have won.

This week was definitely sloppy though. No doubt. I'm happy with the W, but, they did look iffy though.

He's been slow to come on, but I am not surprised. The Run D was good yesterday as the centerpiece of the gameplan and they'll need it again on Sunday.
It even took the run D a good quarter to get going. Almost have to wonder if their plane was late or food poisoning, or some other such nonsense.

It even took the run D a good quarter to get going. Almost have to wonder if their plane was late or food poisoning, or some other such nonsense.
I agree. These slow starts bother me because it's been going on for a while. I thought this was done and over with last week.

I often wonder if it's McD and BB testing what the other team is doing on both sides of the ball. Even with Brady under center the offense seemed stale in the first half of games. Like we would rope a dope the other team, let them punch themselves out and then in the later rounds we come out swinging. Either way, it is nerve wracking.

I often wonder if it's McD and BB testing what the other team is doing on both sides of the ball. Even with Brady under center the offense seemed stale in the first half of games. Like we would rope a dope the other team, let them punch themselves out and then in the later rounds we come out swinging. Either way, it is nerve wracking.
I mean, maybe? Although giving up an 18-play 10 minute TD drive to start the game, would sort of necessitate a different strategy.

From what's been gathered through the years, and I am sure people know this, is that the first drives are essentially scripted. I do think in some games BB doesn't show his true focus on what he's looking to do as a strategy, like probably last week vs Brady, on those first drives because he probably thinks it helps the opponent if the know too soon. Maybe not, but I do think there is an element of a feeling out process. I don't think that would happen with how vanilla they were playing yesterday, though. I think it was more about execution than anything.

Remove Cooks, contain/stop the run, and that should do it. Thankfully, it was enough. I just have to give credit to Mills and his other receivers as they made the plays.

From what's been gathered through the years, and I am sure people know this, is that the first drives are essentially scripted. I do think in some games BB doesn't show his true focus on what he's looking to do as a strategy, like probably last week vs Brady, on those first drives because he probably thinks it helps the opponent if the know too soon. Maybe not, but I do think there is an element of a feeling out process. I don't think that would happen with how vanilla they were playing yesterday, though. I think it was more about execution than anything.

Remove Cooks, contain/stop the run, and that should do it. Thankfully, it was enough. I just have to give credit to Mills and his other receivers as they made the plays.
Brandin Cooks was an absolute non-factor yesterday. 3 catches, 23 yards.

I REALLY think some are starting to hold MAC to a standard that can't be met.

Arron Rodgers and TFB probably have 3-4 throws a game that have a chance to be picked off. Few are because it is just a chance. Of the picks he has thrown 2-3 were tipped or otherwise helped into the hands of the D.

Let's keep this real.

I mean, maybe? Although giving up an 18-play 10 minute TD drive to start the game, would sort of necessitate a different strategy.
That was clearly the strategy because I bet they didn't think the Texans could dink/dunk consistently enough to matriculate without fucking up. Turns out, they could.

I REALLY think some are starting to hold MAC to a standard that can't be met.

Arron Rodgers and TFB probably have 3-4 throws a game that have a chance to be picked off. Few are because it is just a chance. Of the picks he has thrown 2-3 were tipped or otherwise helped into the hands of the D.

Let's keep this real.
Or, the guy down in Tampa whose first throw vs the Pats last week was almost picked.

It was 88 in Houston yesterday and likely hotter on the field. If you don't practice/workout in that kind of heat you lose the conditioning
to handle it pretty quickly. Maybe it was that, but we definitely looked sluggish.

Back