We're on to Houstan: Gamete Thread

those of you lamenting josh's playcalling in this game will get a kick out of this. side note....what happened to our kjr thread? thought it was stickied? maybe it didn't migrate over?

Josh McDaniel gets into these high leverage situations - good field position after turnovers, the red zone - and morphs into a controlling, overly concerned, Helicopter Mom, slathering her perfect angel in hand sanitizer, checking him for bruises and staring through the window of the bouncy castle worried that some bigger kid is going to jump on her boy's precious head while all the other moms are sipping seltzers and talking about "Bachelor in Paradise."

--Consider McDaniels' play calling after Houston handed him the lovely gift in the gorgeous wrapping paper that was that goofy zero yard fake faked punt, ball at the Texans 36. He went with Damien Harris off right tackle for 3. Harris up the middle for -3. On 3rd & 10, a screen pass to Brandon Bolden. No chance. Field goal. Then trailing by 10 in the 3rd quarter, he follows up a 21-yarder to Henery a great 20 yard pass to Nelson Agholor to the Houston 16 with a bubble screen to Agholor, a RB screen to Bolden, and a slip screen to Kendrick Bourne. Field goal. At that point, after two big gains get you down to the red zone like that, showing off your screen pass package is like being at a great party when the hostess decides it's time to turn off the music and break out her Shutterfly book of all the photos they took in the Galapagos. Thanks for killing the vibe, Josh.

and hawgie gets a shoutout for his cajuste love.

those of you lamenting josh's playcalling in this game will get a kick out of this. side note....what happened to our kjr thread? thought it was stickied? maybe it didn't migrate over?

and hawgie gets a shoutout for his cajuste love.
LOVE Jerry.

--Here's the issue with that. This was, unless I'm missing one, just the second ball Jones has throw into the end zone in his five game career. The first being the touchdown from the 1-yard line when the Bucs left Jonnu Smith uncovered. That this pass to Henry came after the rookie had played 290 minutes of pro football and was just his second attempt into the end zone is inexcusable. Josh McDaniel gets into these high leverage situations - good field position after turnovers, the red zone - and morphs into a controlling, overly concerned, Helicopter Mom, slathering her perfect angel in hand sanitizer, checking him for bruises and staring through the window of the bouncy castle worried that some bigger kid is going to jump on her boy's precious head while all the other moms are sipping seltzers and talking about "Bachelor in Paradise."

I don't get the McDaniel angst. I think he has been doing a great job with Mac. The red zone is tricky because the field shrinks making picks more likely. I think he will open it up as Mac gets more comfortable.

I don't get the McDaniel angst. I think he has been doing a great job with Mac. The red zone is tricky because the field shrinks making picks more likely. I think he will open it up as Mac gets more comfortable.
McD is holding Big Mac back...a LOT!

Any Patriots HATER would agree with you, a Patriots hater.

listen, i'm not wild about some of the playcalling but i get that mcd is basing his playcalls on the abilities of ALL the players right now, not just mac. remember how many new starters they have and how little practice time. cohesion takes time and foundations must be built before they can add to the selection of plays. trying to go next level before a base of plays are able to be executed confidently is like requiring algebra before addition, subtraction, division, and multiplication are taught.

listen, i'm not wild about some of the playcalling but i get that mcd is basing his playcalls on the abilities of ALL the players right now, not just mac. remember how many new starters they have and how little practice time. cohesion takes time and foundations must be built before they can add to the selection of plays. trying to go next level before a base of plays are able to be executed confidently is like requiring algebra before addition, subtraction, division, and multiplication are taught.

This is a perfect response, HS.
I'll deal only with his handling of Mac. McD has been following a beautifully engineered blue print for the foundation of a long successful career for Mac Jones. Most wins will not come by shootouts which require 50 attempts and 450 yds of passing. There are many ways to win a game; one dimensional teams rarely go the distance.

5 games in to his career, I'm happy with him learning his plays, the routes within those plays, his progressions and his outlets. But at the same time he's done a great job of reading pre-snap defenses and changing plays at the los. He doesn't seem fooled very often. Mac has come a long way in a short time. He's a fast learner & McD is teaching him the way he learns best - visually - so Mac sees it unfold in his mind before stepping on the field.

There's plenty of time to add more to his resume and before long McD will begin to pile everything it took 20 years for Brady to learn upon his shoulders...a little at a time.
Patience, Grasshopper. Bricks are being laid here.

concrete brick laying GIF

Last edited:
Jonnu Smith made a really nice finger tip grab and managed to hold onto the ball. Hopefully he has his case of the dropsies taken care of.

Great point.

People have zero patience these days, that's the problem. Everyone wants instant gratification.

The Patriots rebuild could take 2-3 years before they become a contender. People like Mazz and co seem to think it should be happening immediately and after 5 games if it hasn't, they go into hysterics and declare the team and Bill a failure.

Look at Bills. Allen did not look good in 2018 as a rookie and the Bills went 6-10. And I would argue that Jones looks better at this stage of his career.

So, patience. I'm prepared to wait a few years for this as building a championship roster is a long, tricky process.

People have zero patience these days, that's the problem. Everyone wants instant gratification.

The Patriots rebuild could take 2-3 years before they become a contender. People like Mazz and co seem to think it should be happening immediately and after 5 games if it hasn't, they go into hysterics and declare the team and Bill a failure.

Look at Bills. Allen did not look good in 2018 as a rookie and the Bills went 6-10. And I would argue that Jones looks better at this stage of his career.

So, patience. I'm prepared to wait a few years for this as building a championship roster is a long, tricky process.
I agree with you. I do think it is going to take a few years.

I also think what the Bills have done with Allen is a blueprint for how to develop a young QB and put a great team around them. I am fine if the Pats follow that route. Also, the Chargers are doing a pretty find job with Herbert as well. It will all come in time.

I agree with you. I do think it is going to take a few years.

I also think what the Bills have done with Allen is a blueprint for how to develop a young QB and put a great team around them. I am fine if the Pats follow that route. Also, the Chargers are doing a pretty find job with Herbert as well. It will all come in time.
Josh Allen had 19 turnovers 2 years ago and has only had 1 good season, and it came during a pandemic with everyone discombobulated.

The same thing happens every year: Early season games showcase some new soup du jour supposed HOF QB, and the media wants something new to write about it so their job is easier. Peter King is the king of these gushing fanboys.

Josh Allen has won nothing and BB will take him down yet again like he does Mahomes all the time.

I somewhat agree, but they're actually ahead of that schedule. It may only take a year for this to marinate. They'll need to replace McCourty, Slater and Hightower here shortly, and maybe they can, but many of the talented players are here, with more to come. BB calls it a "mosaic" where he's trying to build a consistency on the roster, which he's clearly done (overall) for 2 decades.

I wonder if Celts fans questioned Red Auerbach in the early/mid 70s?

willie mac does that all the time on total access...calls the pats "we". he usually catches himself but i love it.
It's unprofessional but Willie, imo, has earned the right and the reason for the occasional slip. I'm sure he'll be glad to learn I forgive him. :coffee:

It's unprofessional but Willie, imo, has earned the right and the reason for the occasional slip. I'm sure he'll be glad to learn I forgive him. :coffee:
Bu it wasn't Willie who said it or any former Patriot player. It was a simple announcer

I somewhat agree, but they're actually ahead of that schedule. It may only take a year for this to marinate. They'll need to replace McCourty, Slater and Hightower here shortly, and maybe they can, but many of the talented players are here, with more to come. BB calls it a "mosaic" where he's trying to build a consistency on the roster, which he's clearly done (overall) for 2 decades.

I wonder if Celts fans questioned Red Auerbach in the early/mid 70s?
I agree. If Bill is able to get quality CBs and LBs in this draft and one electric WR then I think we can be legit SB contenders next year. I realize that is a big ask but that is actually what the Saints did after three 7-9 seasons and that set them up for 3 years of contending even though they faltered in the post-season.

I agree. If Bill is able to get quality CBs and LBs in this draft and one electric WR then I think we can be legit SB contenders next year. I realize that is a big ask but that is actually what the Saints did after three 7-9 seasons and that set them up for 3 years of contending even though they faltered in the post-season.
It doesn't all have to come from the draft. Why do you say stuff like that? It can come in FA or trade as well. Jamie Collins just came crawling back here, for example. People claim no one wants to play for BB, but it just isn't true.

You do realize if this team wins on Sunday, they then host the Jets at home and can be 4-3 here. There is no runaway team in this conference.

Bu it wasn't Willie who said it or any former Patriot player. It was a simple announcer
Understood. But a direct response to HSanders observation, nothing else implied.

Fopr clarifications sake I'll FIX MY POST:

It's unprofessional but Willie, imo, unlike the (very) simple announcer, has earned the right and the reason for the occasional slip. I'm sure he'll be glad to learn I forgive him. :coffee:

Back