We're on to Miami - Week 1 2022 Pregame

Flagg the Wanderer

Mourning Algernon
Reaction score
So...Hill, Waddle, and Gesicki should make life interesting. Both Hill & Waddle are just 5'10", so that helps out CB matchups, since height is our biggest weakness. I wonder what Miami will do with formation to get both on the field with a TE, since both are historically best out of the slot.

MJ should see the field a lot, and JJ should be there for the majority of snaps. Phillips, Dugger should be able to account for Gesicki. Mills has been excellent, but is kind of a style mismatch vs these WRs. He'll start and play plenty, of course, but might see fewer snaps than will typically be the case. Maybe?

If we're looking at rolling out 3 & 4 safety looks, as has been discussed, I'd expect to see them vs this offense. Phillips, Duggar, and Peppers allow you to gain coverage ability without sacrificing too much toughness or beef.

Normally I'd say run a lot of stuff to fluster Tua, but with all the youth and inexperience in our LBs and DBs, and how much those elements of confusion rely on those groups, it might be better to keep it simpler. Playing games to confuse the OL might be effective, though, and simpler games with the LBs and DBs that focus on confusion on pre-snap and early snap reads.

I...I'm even more at sea than I would generally be for Week 1. Who really knows what to expect?

No idea to be truthful but I hope we see lots of power runs, clean pockets for downfield throws and effective PA passes with some RPOs in the mix.
Outside zone does nothing for me with this OL.

On D I want our younger, faster, stronger LBs and DBs to show out and our DL to be a 3' thick brick wall.

That's not asking too much, is it?

"Football is all about fundamentals. For me, that's stepping up in the pocket and going through my reads to get the ball to the open guy. Everybody else has a different maybe rule or thing that they're trying to work on, especially when you have a little bit of free time, you can call it, you always want to get better," Jones said.
Ultimately, the Patriots can't count on a game plan and Jones's problem-solving abilities to fix all the issues we saw with the offense in the preseason. However, there's a strong belief that things will fall into place when the game-planning begins, and Jones's football mind takes over.
When the team begins preparing for the Dolphins next week, it'll be the first test of the theory that installing a game plan and adjusting to an opponent can help the Patriots offense moving forward.

The Pats are flying to South Florida on Tuesday and will practice there from Wednesday on to adjust to the heat.
Hope it helps!

I am the only one that would NOT be surprised if we see almost none of the wide zone scheme against the Dolphins? Keep in mind that they ran Zone 21% of their runs last year.

I will not be surprised if they don't run it close to that much game 1. It isn't ready for prime time AND the Dolphins will be prepping for it.

Hence, little zone in S. Florida.

Last edited:
No idea to be truthful but I hope we see lots of power runs, clean pockets for downfield throws and effective PA passes with some RPOs in the mix.
Outside zone does nothing for me with this OL.
Are you saying that having a combination of a couple of 350 plus pounders and quicker Olinemen is not a good idea for zone blocking scheme?

Or just talent level?

I don't know the reason for it but Outside Zone has not been effective during preseason.

Patriots are 3 point underdogs as of now. Home team usually gets 3 points, so it looks like it's an even game according to the betting line.

Tyreek Hill= the best player on both teams. He's a difference maker. Patriot's cornerbacks can give up Big gains. Hopefully Mac Jones doesn't get sacked/fumble like
brady used to do in Miami. It's an important game, because it's within the division. The Patriots have lost the first season game, in Miami, yet won the Lombardi trophy. Anyway, we'll hope for a New England win, but I expect a very, very, tough game.

Back