We're on to Miami - Week 1 2022 Pregame

I don't think it really proved much of anything. If the coaching staff loses the team (which I think is a possibility), THAT will be proof of the part of coaching that really matters.

Belichick has always preached continual incremental improvement. This team improved massively over what we saw in Vegas. At that rate of improvement for the year we're talking duckboats, but I don't see that happening. This was a blitzkrieg of improvement needed for remediation, and had a very tight focus - thus the vanilla offense.

I can't wait to see the defense with Jennings healthy!
You think Bill could lose the team?

You think Bill could lose the team?
I think if they start an ugly 1-3 or 0-4, there's a possibility that at least position coaches lose the team. Which would be a shame because there's a lot of potential there if they are both motivated and patient.

After tonight 16 teams will have 1 win and 16 teams will have 1 loss. No team will have won a division. No team will have locked home field advantage.

I heard Curran say "Are the Patriots good enough to sit a good player on the bench because they're not happy with how things are going even though he's a productive guy?" and the implication was that it was a bad choice (WRT Bourne).

Depends on what the issue is. My sed contra is Terry Glenn. I'd be floored if anything with Bourne is even in the same universe as the stuff with Glenn, but who knows? What I do know is that that 2001 was definitely not a good enough team to sit a talented and productive player, but they did, and it was 100% the right choice.

I heard Curran say "Are the Patriots good enough to sit a good player on the bench because they're not happy with how things are going even though he's a productive guy?" and the implication was that it was a bad choice (WRT Bourne).

Depends on what the issue is. My sed contra is Terry Glenn. I'd be floored if anything with Bourne is even in the same universe as the stuff with Glenn, but who knows? What I do know is that that 2001 was definitely not a good enough team to sit a talented and productive player, but they did, and it was 100% the right choice.
I then hear him say that the slant-TD wasn't a one-off play because it was a to score on a 92 yard drive and not a 75 yard slant, that's disingenuous as hell. If it was in the middle of the third quarter that would be a valid point. But it was 4th and 7, so they wouldn't have typically been going for it but for halftime staring at them, and the drive had progressed as the Patriots would have wanted it to - keeping everything in front of them and force Tua to use up the time on the clock. Which is exactly what happened - they got the ball with more than 4 minutes left, and hit on the slant from outside of FG range with only 24 seconds on the clock. Defensively, that drive was going very nicely for the Patriots.

If Bourne is breaking team rules etc. then I would be upset with BB for not being consistent. More importantly, it would be far more damaging to the team 'togetherness" had he not been consistent.

That said, I do hope it isn't a personal/family issue. It doesn't appear to be.

I then hear him say that the slant-TD wasn't a one-off play because it was a to score on a 92 yard drive and not a 75 yard slant, that's disingenuous as hell. If it was in the middle of the third quarter that would be a valid point. But it was 4th and 7, so they wouldn't have typically been going for it but for halftime staring at them, and the drive had progressed as the Patriots would have wanted it to - keeping everything in front of them and force Tua to use up the time on the clock. Which is exactly what happened - they got the ball with more than 4 minutes left, and hit on the slant from outside of FG range with only 24 seconds on the clock. Defensively, that drive was going very nicely for the Patriots.
Until Phillips got hurt.

I always enjoy it when a team drafts or acquires a bunch of talented nutsacks who aren't into the whole team thing and then it all blows up into a shitstorm.

I'm generally fine with Bill deciding who has crossed a line and needs to move on, but I'd love to at least know the reasons why he sours on a guy.

There have been dozens of times the media has skewered him over personnel/discipline issues and he'll never say a word to relieve the heat on himself. Bill lives
by his own code while everybody else jumps up and down screaming.

I always enjoy it when a team drafts or acquires a bunch of talented nutsacks who aren't into the whole team thing and then it all blows up into a shitstorm.

I'm generally fine with Bill deciding who has crossed a line and needs to move on, but I'd love to at least know the reasons why he sours on a guy.

There have been dozens of times the media has skewered him over personnel/discipline issues and he'll never say a word to relieve the heat on himself. Bill lives
by his own code while everybody else jumps up and down screaming.

That's the truth!

Back