We're on to Tampa Bay: Game Thread - Buccaneers @ Patriots - Sun. Oct 3rd 8:20 PM (NBC)

Nothing worse than blowhard Bruce Arians. Well, maybe Rex Ryan or Johnny Whinebaugh. Just the worst. What makes Brady a perfect match with Arians is the ego. They love that it's all about them.

It's only Monday and Arians is already running his mouth. BB made both Brady and Gronk's entire careers. Neither would have become what they have without BB and the structure he provided them. Made them men. How the revisionist history types want to try to tell us something else happened early in their careers is beyond me.

The irony of that costume is hilarious. Lol
I just noticed you're the same age as Brady. What are your thoughts on his primadonna, Millennial-style behaviors with Gronk and Amendola, etc, and constant need for attention as an adult?

Do you think Brady should have ever been held accountable as the QB of the Patriots? Or, do you think his status put him above the team where his brand/individualism is more important?

Stevenson could be an X factor on offense. Remember that yes, Bolden got touches after White went down, but Stevenson was inactive - that doesn't mean that's the go-forward plan.

This D can be had, though the best place to take advantage of them is the middle and long range zones...which hasn't been the offense's forte this far. That said, it also hasn't been an area of focus, so who knows.

I don't expect Smith to continue to suck. Nothing in his history would predict what we've seen to date.

If Stevenson doesn't get playing time in this game I don't know what to think about him for this year.

Posted it on the Brady forum but Tom reciprocated Bills nice words about him and Tom basically told his dad to shut his yap!

"Well I have 20 years -- I have 20 years of being there and obviously he's a great mentor for me," Brady said of Belichick. "And yes I think there's definitely great lessons I've learned from him. He's a great football coach, and he does a great job for his team. And, you know any player, I think they would just hope that their coaches give them everything they got. I'm sure every great coach wants every player to give them everything they got. And I think that's what makes a great relationship."

Brady also shared his feelings about his father, Tom Brady Sr., telling NBC Sports Boston last week that he personally felt "vindicated" by his son winning a Super Bowl last season with the Bucs and without Belichick.

"I've actually prepared a statement that I wanted to say, and it's really all that I have to say on the subject," Brady said jokingly. "Comments made by Thomas Edward Brady, a 77-year-old insurance company CEO who should know better at this point in his life, doesn't necessarily reflect the views or positions held by his son, Thomas Edward Patrick Brady Jr., so furthermore should Tom Sr. continue to speak out on behalf of his son without the express written consent, Tom Jr. reserves the right to eventually put him in a home against his will. That's all I have to say."

Nothing worse than blowhard Bruce Arians. Well, maybe Rex Ryan or Johnny Whinebaugh. Just the worst. What makes Brady a perfect match with Arians is the ego. They love that it's all about them.

It's only Monday and Arians is already running his mouth. BB made both Brady and Gronk's entire careers. Neither would have become what they have without BB and the structure he provided them. Made them men. How the revisionist history types want to try to tell us something else happened early in their careers is beyond me.

What's interesting to me is that Brady would be doing just fine in TBay with that roster without Arians.
Arians, otoh, would still be a nobody without Brady to spoon feed his supper. Arians is smart to let Brady run the offense by staying out of his way and contributing a verbal quip in support from time to time.
I'd be willing to bet more than once that Brady has said "I think the way I've attacked him before [in NE] is better...".

Slater has kind words about Brady and firm words for the Patriots

Slater is steadfast in his faith that his team is capable of putting its best foot forward. Simply put, it starts with having faith in each other.

“The ability to turn things around always comes from the character of the team that you have,” Slater told reporters on Monday. “It translates to improvement on the football field…coming together when you face adversity…we have to stick together…believe in each other, fight for one another. And we all have to put in the effort.”

For Slater and the Patriots, that effort will begin immediately, as the team shifts its attention to the Bucs, and their impending week four matchup on Sunday. Though he was specifically asked about the team’s surprising struggles on special teams, the captain’s comments ring true, regarding the team as a whole.

“We haven't played the way we have hoped this year…but, we have had rough starts in the past.” Slater stated. “It may only be Week Three, but we can’t fall back on that. The urgency needs to pick up, as does the preparation in practice. The importance of every play is very high. There isn’t just one thing [for us] to put our finger on. We need better execution…better attention to detail and improvement in all areas.”

Attempting to pick up the pieces from a demoralizing loss is hard enough for a team under any circumstances. However, that level of difficulty is only further elevated when adding in the drama of the return of a franchise legend who is, was and forever will be beloved by all true Patriots fans. While the temptation for distraction will be heightened, Slater sees a potential teaching moment for his team.

“This is an opportunity for us to learn to control the things we can control,” Slater added. “We need to go out and compete. [Our focus] should be about preparing, focusing and going out to play winning football. Managing the off-field stuff along with it is a good challenge for our football team.”

Despite the importance of the task at hand, Slater is not indifferent to the obvious sentiments which he and his teammates will be feeling on Sunday. He is also more-than willing to show his affection for the man he proudly called a teammate for 12 years:

“I have a tremendous amount of respect for Thomas [Brady],” Slater said of his friend and former teammate. “I couldn’t think more highly of anyone that’s ever played the game. As a friend, he has been kind to me, and my family…I’m very appreciative of that relationship. But I think this week, the New England Patriots need to focus on the New England Patriots. We need to focus on playing better football, more consistent football…and that really is the case every week. But for this week, we have to attempt to ignore the noise…play hard, practice hard all week, and be ready for Sunday.”

Slater also acknowledged that while it will be a bit odd to see Brady wearing a different uniform, he has learned to accept it as a part of the game which they play.

“I have been around this game my entire life. Players change teams. It's just like anything else…people change jobs, work for different companies…we tend to romanticize it, because it is sports. But that is a reality of any player that moves on. This is about preparing for a very good team, led by a very good player.”

Though Brady will be playing his first game in Foxboro as a visitor, Slater is well-aware that the former Pats franchise quarterback will be well-prepared for Sunday’s game. The level of success which Brady has achieved in Tampa has both surprised and impressed scores of NFL players, coaches, fans and media. However, do not count Matthew Slater as one that is taken aback by the 44-year-old, seven-time Super Bowl Champion’s accomplishments.

When asked his thoughts on Brady’s success, Slater replied “No, I’m not surprised. He is the greatest football player in the history of football. Nothing he does should surprise you [anyone].”

It will for sure be very strange, and I have no doubt, an emotional gameday which will hit a lot of people unexpectedly when they see Tom in the Bucs uniform on the field. We have a heroic player who was the key player delivering 6 titles for the team over 20 years with an unprecedented QB - HC relationship that lasted that long. That's never been seen before. I've no doubt the Patriots fans will show their appreciation at the appropriate time to Tom, he deserves that as he obviously couldn't say goodbye to the fans en masse previously.

I think the game will show the classiness of both the Patriots and Tom Brady.

I just noticed you're the same age as Brady. What are your thoughts on his primadonna, Millennial-style behaviors with Gronk and Amendola, etc, and constant need for attention as an adult?

Do you think Brady should have ever been held accountable as the QB of the Patriots? Or, do you think his status put him above the team where his brand/individualism is more important?
Great questions. I would be happy to answer this over on the Brady forum. Given this is a game thread, it would be better answer over there if you don't mind posting there.

I have decided to ignore the hype and all the nonsense that comes with it.
I'll tune in just before the game starts and watch every minute of it as I usually do.
My main concern is can the OL problems get fixed. It is not that Tom is playing at Gillete. It is what it is.
A few days after the game all the hype will go away. I just hope that the OL concerns go away at the same time.

I'll tune in just before the game starts and watch every minute of it as I usually do.
My main concern is can the OL problems get fixed. It is not that Tom is playing at Gillete. It is what it is.
A few days after the game all the hype will go away. I just hope that the OL concerns go away at the same time.
Your strategy mirrors mine exactly. No news stories, no Quick Slants, no pre-game, no All-Access... It's already working for me, LOL.

The team needs to simply play better. Clean up the individual game-losing mistakes and they will be fine. Jones missed a lot of passes and half of the ones he made were dropped. The Pats spent the whole game in 2nd and 10. They need to fix 1st down mistakes. Blitzing Brady is a recipe for disaster. I don't think the D will get any pressure rushing 3, so hopefully they can get a pick or 2.

I was talking to some family last night that have season tickets and outside of some complaints with some wine and cheese crowd types showing up now at the games since Brady is gone and those annoyances with pink hats, he was saying the same thing about not listening or watching anything and I have to agree.

The only people listening and watching will be Brady and Gronk and their families along with the Fanboys.

Stevenson could be an X factor on offense. Remember that yes, Bolden got touches after White went down, but Stevenson was inactive - that doesn't mean that's the go-forward plan.

This D can be had, though the best place to take advantage of them is the middle and long range zones...which hasn't been the offense's forte this far. That said, it also hasn't been an area of focus, so who knows.

I don't expect Smith to continue to suck. Nothing in his history would predict what we've seen to date.
Agree with your point on Stevenson.

I never want to see Bolden with a handoff again.

Agree with your point on Stevenson.

I never want to see Bolden with a handoff again.
That's headscratcher number 10 for me so far this season. My gut tells me BB is concerned about leadership like he was during the last rebuild in 2009/2010.

Curious to see if Trent Brown will be healthy enough to play.

Tampa's a top 5 team vs. the run but they can be thrown on (that being said, that is based on games against 2 early MVP candidates and a former league MVP). Either way, Tampa's been solid against the run going back to Winston's final year, so no reason to think the Pats are going to miraculously run it down their throat. Any early, costly mistakes and Jones will be playing from behind and chucking it up, regardless.

Tough to feel great about this game. Wish it was later in the season.

Back