What Concerts Have You Been To?

Bands I've seen:
Metallica ×5, Slayer×2, Anthrax, Megadeth, Overkill, Type O Negative, The Cult, Dangerous Toys ×2, Def Leppard ×2, Boston, Slipknot, Dimmu Borgir, Bonham, W.A.S.P., Metal Church, Accept, Cheap Trick, Poison ×2, Damn Yankees, Firehouse ×2, Tesla, Weird Al Yankovic, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper, Black Label Society, Ozzy, Black Sabbath. That's all I can think of for now.

Feel Free to list 'em or post your experiences.

Have at it.

I'll start.

Lolapalooza Fesitval in 93 at the at the Kingston Airfield in Rhode Island.

What an incredible lineup. Tool, Rage, Primus, Alice In Chains and most surprising Arrested Development and Fishbone were outstanding.

What a great 10 hour show.

We were at the barricades at the front row all day and night in front of 30,000 general admission fans.

The pits were insane and when Alice in Chains Came out when the dark had settled it was just freaking electric.

Such an incredible memory.

https://www.lollapalooza.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Lolla93.jpg
I was there. I've never seen mosh pits like the pits when Rage was playing.

I was there. I've never seen mosh pits like the pits when Rage was playing.

OMG, how awesome man! High 5. And the pits were as crazy as I've ever seen at every Rage show I ever attended but that was the tops.

On a side note, I got me some at the front of the stage with this hot little number in a mini skirt during AIC. Great, youthful memories I want to say. :)

OMG, how awesome man! High 5. And the pits were as crazy as I've ever seen at every Rage show I ever attended but that was the tops.

On a side note, I got me some at the front of the stage with this hot little number in a mini skirt during AIC. Great, youthful memories I want to say. :)
Dinosaur Jr. was also on the main stage, which mattered to me not at all.

I had never heard of RATM when l got there. Bought the CD, became a huge fan. I'll never forget as they were getting ready to start, I noticed circles forming...and ambulances pulling up to be on standby. I pointed them out to the friend I was with - who had just recently started listening to Rage - and gets this real funny smile and he's like, "Yup."

He actually went on to be a musician (after we were in a couple of bands together) and he sat in with the E-street band for Brice Springsteen, was in The Hold Steady for awhile, including when they opened for The Stones and were on The Tonight Show...got the full front page of the NYT Arts section. I'm not at all bitter about any of that, of course. :rolleyes:

I was never a huge concert guy (though I love live music) and my tastes trend a little quirky but other memorable shows I've seen:
  • Spin Doctors/Soul Asylum/Screaming Trees (went for the Trees, and they blew the others off the stage as the opening act. Spin Doctors we're basically out there making it super clear that no one would care about them in 24 months.)
  • Thanks to Gravity a bunch of times. Amazing band from NH that no one has ever heard of. I was wearing a TTG shirt when I met Steve Lillywhite, producer of (among other things) Dave Matthews Band's Under the Table and Dreaming. He noticed and jumped at it, saying "Man, that's the great undiscovered band of the 90s!"
  • The Dead, just before Jerry died. Meh.
  • Ray Davies (of The Kinks) - great show
  • Hold Steady (natch)
  • World/Inferno Friendship Society (not the best band, but shows were a total experience).

But the best show I ever saw, and it wasn't close:
Simon and Garfunkel in D.C. Holy crap. So tight, so much audience involvement, and such great storytelling integrated. What a freakin' show.

Bands I've seen:
Metallica ×5, Slayer×2, Anthrax, Megadeth, Overkill, Type O Negative, The Cult, Dangerous Toys ×2, Def Leppard ×2, Boston, Slipknot, Dimmu Borgir, Bonham, W.A.S.P., Metal Church, Accept, Cheap Trick, Poison ×2, Damn Yankees, Firehouse ×2, Tesla, Weird Al Yankovic, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper, Black Label Society, Ozzy, Black Sabbath. That's all I can think of for now.
Sans most of the hair bands, your list is impressive.

No doubt I'll forget a lot. 🤔 Five best shows in ****

Petra 🤦‍♂️I was 13, aunt and uncle tried to save my soul.
** The Cure - Disintegration tour - the best lineup **
Dead Milkmen
Skinny Puppy w Babes in Toyland
Morrissey
** Fishbone (x3) **
Primus
Jane's Addiction w/ Rollins Band
Reggae Sunsplash 🤦‍♂️
Lollapalooza II w Alice in Chains, Rage Against the Machine, etc...
Soundgarden
Screaming Trees, opening for Soul Asylum 🤦‍♂️ and Spin Doctors 🤦‍♂️
10,000 Maniacs
Soup Dragons / James / Tom Tom Club / Black Sheep
Ani Difranco / Dan Bern
Tori Amos
Hum
Indy Jazzfest (x2, Cassandra Wilson, Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter, BB King, etc..}
Alice Donut
The Damned
Subhumans (x2)
Stiff Little Fingers
Paul Westerberg (x2)
** The Replacements (reunion) **
They Might Be Giants (x2)
Public Enemy
EPMD
** A Tribe Called Quest (Grammy Night. Best show ever. Mos Def, Redman, Busta Rhymes, and others showed up onstage) **
Coachella '05 (Bauhaus, Weezer, etc...)
Beth Gibbons
Portishead
Future of the Left (probably my favorite band of the last decade. They played a couple of mclusky songs, their previous band, probably my favorite band of the aughts).
** Nick Cave **
Iron & Wine w/ LA Philharmonic
Thurston Moore...

Last edited:
The most recent concert I've been to was Mike and Mickey from The Monkees. Mike died two weeks later. I was so glad that I got to see them. I saw the Monkees in their 30th Anniversary tour without Mike so it was good to see him in person.

The most recent concert I've been to was Mike and Mickey from The Monkees. Mike died two weeks later. I was so glad that I got to see them. I saw the Monkees in their 30th Anniversary tour without Mike so it was good to see him in person.

Very nice, man! The Monkees was the first concert I saw back in the late '70s or early '80s. Gary Puckett and Herman's Hermits opened for them at the Cape Cod Melody Tent in Cohassett. Great show and wonderful memory. Rest In Peace Davey and Mike.

Reactions: Alk
Very nice, man! The Monkees was the first concert I saw back in the late '70s or early '80s. Gary Puckett and Herman's Hermits opened for them at the Cape Cod Melody Tent in Cohassett. Great show and wonderful memory. Rest In Peace Davey and Mike.
Peter passed away in between those two so now there's only one. 😥

Peter passed away in between those two so now there's only one. 😥

Oh yeah, dammit. That's right. I got confused cause I get daily FB messages from a fan group that he used to post in that just uses his name as the group name. Kinda eery really.

Summer of 1976 Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles and Boz Scaggs at Schaefer in Foxboro. Jackson Browne at Boston Garden 1979 (?), Kinks at the Centrum in Worcester 1985(?), Rolling Stones at Manning Bowl in Lynn 1966, Rascals at Lakeview in Mendon 1966 (?) Aerosmith, Yard birds at Lakeview (late 60s), Dan Fogelberg, Linda Ronstadt at Tanglewood (mid-70s), Jimmy Buffett at Great Woods (at least 10 times), Tampa, Charlotte... and at Fenway in 2004...

Rush x 8
Blue Oyster Cult x 3
Black Sabbath
Jethro Tull
Lynyrd Skynyrd x 2
Allman Bros x 2
Gregg Allman Band (excellent show because it was in a small theater and I was 3rd or 4th row)
Heart/Kansas double bill (Heart played their asses off, then Kansas came on and vastly outdid them in every way)

No doubt I'll forget a lot. 🤔 Five best shows in ****

Petra 🤦‍♂️I was 13, aunt and uncle tried to save my soul.
** The Cure - Disintegration tour - the best lineup **
Dead Milkmen
Skinny Puppy w Babes in Toyland
Morrissey
** Fishbone (x3) **
Primus
Jane's Addiction w/ Rollins Band
Reggae Sunsplash 🤦‍♂️
Lollapalooza II w Alice in Chains, Rage Against the Machine, etc...
Soundgarden
Screaming Trees, opening for Soul Asylum 🤦‍♂️ and Spin Doctors 🤦‍♂️
10,000 Maniacs
Soup Dragons / James / Tom Tom Club / Black Sheep
Ani Difranco / Dan Bern
Tori Amos
Hum
Indy Jazzfest (x2, Cassandra Wilson, Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter, BB King, etc..}
Alice Donut
The Damned
Subhumans (x2)
Stiff Little Fingers
Paul Westerberg (x2)
** The Replacements (reunion) **
They Might Be Giants (x2)
Public Enemy
EPMD
** A Tribe Called Quest (Grammy Night. Best show ever. Mos Def, Redman, Busta Rhymes, and others showed up onstage) **
Coachella '05 (Bauhaus, Weezer, etc...)
Beth Gibbons
Portishead
Future of the Left (probably my favorite band of the last decade. They played a couple of mclusky songs, their previous band, probably my favorite band of the aughts).
** Nick Cave **
Iron & Wine w/ LA Philharmonic
Thurston Moore...
man you have some great ones. how were jane's and primus live? i adore rollins band. got to see them live also. great "pissed off/workout music" too.

man you have some great ones. how were jane's and primus live? i adore rollins band. got to see them live also. great "pissed off/workout music" too.
Jane's was incredible live. It was the ritual de lo habitual tour, right before they went off on Lollapalooza. That's one show I wish I'd been up close, not in the literal last row of seats before the grass. 🤦‍♂️

I wasn't into Rollins Band at all. Thought I would be. I LOVE Black Flag, and love Henry's stuff with them. Just didn't work for me.

Primus is an interesting one. I can't much listen to them anymore, but I loved them back then. The first time, they opened for Fishbone in a small venue, which made for a much more fun show. Les was off the wall that night. They still sounded good one the big stage at Lollapalooza, but it was such a different vibe.

Ahh man. I knew I would forget stuff.🤦‍♂️

Went to the now defunct Sunset Junction several times.

I remember seeing The Muffs, X, third time for Fishbone, Big Daddy Kane, and Bad Brains.

FB_IMG_1642434940744.jpg

Last edited:
AC/DC multiple.
Rush multiple
ZZ Top multiple
Metallica multiple.
Van Halen twice once Roth once Hagar
Journey
Ozzy
Aerosmith (pretty bad)
Scorpions
Motley Crue (bad those guys can’t play for shit)
Little Feat
Grateful Dead
Blue Oyster Cult
Tom Petty
Eric Clapton
Page/Plant
Steve Winwood
Pink Floyd (prolly best I’ve seen two shows Oakland Coliseum one show Seattle King Dome)
David Gilmour
Roger Waters
Dave Matthews band
The Dead
The Cure
Brit Floyd
Roxy Music
Depeche Mode
Rage against the Machine (worst show I’ve seen or heard)
Taylor Swift
The Fallout boys
Candlebox
Pearl Jam
UB40 (weird coincidence they just happened to be in the Cook Islands while I was on vacation there)

Others I can’t recall right now.

Last edited:
Back